Canon EOS M50 Mark II information leaks out ahead of the official announcement

Canon is introducing a new M50, 3 1/2 years later, with the same sensor, same DIGIC, and same FPS? What a mistake. Canon should watch the Apple presentation later today. That is what they are competing against with these cameras.

Camera sales are down across the board for all camera brands. Furthermore, the number of phones sold is 100 X more than cameras which means economies of scale. While Apple can redesign new components for each new version of the phone, camera companies simply cannot, be it Canon, Nikon, Fuji or Sony. Reusing components is one way of achieving economies of scale.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The most interesting thing about these specifications is that indirectly they seem to confirm that there is a second higher specification (and price), M series in the pipeline, the much rumoured M5 MkII or M7 as it has been dubbed. The existing M50 is Canon's best selling mirrorless camera to date and in part because it is very competively priced so this MkII version is slotting into the same market segment with 'improvements' significant to encourage upgraders and new customers but no more. This indicates that there will be an all singing and dancing higher spec camera which will be at a much higher price point in the market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What you would suggest as upgrade to M50 and under 700,00?
The way you talk, the M50 is a perfect camera impossible to be upgraded under 700,00.

Did I? Can't say I did .. but dial back the judgement a bit from 11 ;)

Canon rarely raises prices of it's entry level cameras - canon competes in this segment on PRICE. They always have. So if the M50 was sub $700, there's a good chance the M50 Mark II would be sub $700. See how that works?

I've mentioned this before: The M50 sold well because it was pretty: "pretty good" "pretty cheap" "pretty small" "pretty light"

Secondly, there's certainly room for improvement around video - none of that needs or really wants the 32MP sensor, since oversampling from 32MP is a pain in the ass. Whether this has it or not remains to be seen.

There was little stuff that should be fixed from the M50. The awkward silent shooting, eyeAF in all modes, lack of DPAF in 4K and so on that didn't require a full blown revamp. there was a ton of other gotchas as well. I think even bulb mode was a bit fussy and awkward.

Finally .. even though it's competition has increased, outside of perhaps video and fps (which Canon can talk fast and say it's 10FPS), the competition in this price range isn't much better. So why would canon toss the kitchen sink into it. also with increased competition, canon usually again, competes on price in this segment, see point A.

At times Canon history has refreshed an entry level model to simply .. refresh an entry level camera model. newer cameras sell better than older cameras.

And finally - all we have is high level verbage (that is machine translated from Japanese) on the M50 Mark II - we don't know if they improved AF sensitivity, DPAF during 4K, full width 4K,etc.

and btw, you replied to me commenting to someone else that wanted a 32.5MP sensor and IBIS .. for again under $700. That's simply unrealistic.

so when you consider all that, tell me.. what would you have expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0