Canon EOS M50 Mark II information leaks out ahead of the official announcement

Nov 13, 2015
The most interesting thing about these specifications is that indirectly they seem to confirm that there is a second higher specification (and price), M series in the pipeline, the much rumoured M5 MkII or M7 as it has been dubbed. The existing M50 is Canon's best selling mirrorless camera to date and in part because it is very competively priced so this MkII version is slotting into the same market segment with 'improvements' significant to encourage upgraders and new customers but no more. This indicates that there will be an all singing and dancing higher spec camera which will be at a much higher price point in the market.

I hope you're right, but it could also indicate that Canon is releasing a minor upgrade to the M50 as a cash cow while it sunsets the M and shifts all significant new development effort to the RF mount.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I hope you're right, but it could also indicate that Canon is releasing a minor upgrade to the M50 as a cash cow while it sunsets the M and shifts all significant new development effort to the RF mount.

Canon will have a bottom end model that sells by the boat loads... so if they can pull it off selling a bottom R model with affordable lenses to boot, that would be great. But I think that will take quite some time before they sell off existing stock of M lenses and start releasing a stable of affordable R lenses.

Upvote 0
Did I? Can't say I did .. but dial back the judgement a bit from 11 ;)

Canon rarely raises prices of it's entry level cameras - canon competes in this segment on PRICE. They always have. So if the M50 was sub $700, there's a good chance the M50 Mark II would be sub $700. See how that works?

I've mentioned this before: The M50 sold well because it was pretty: "pretty good" "pretty cheap" "pretty small" "pretty light"

Secondly, there's certainly room for improvement around video - none of that needs or really wants the 32MP sensor, since oversampling from 32MP is a pain in the ass. Whether this has it or not remains to be seen.

There was little stuff that should be fixed from the M50. The awkward silent shooting, eyeAF in all modes, lack of DPAF in 4K and so on that didn't require a full blown revamp. there was a ton of other gotchas as well. I think even bulb mode was a bit fussy and awkward.

Finally .. even though it's competition has increased, outside of perhaps video and fps (which Canon can talk fast and say it's 10FPS), the competition in this price range isn't much better. So why would canon toss the kitchen sink into it. also with increased competition, canon usually again, competes on price in this segment, see point A.

At times Canon history has refreshed an entry level model to simply .. refresh an entry level camera model. newer cameras sell better than older cameras.

And finally - all we have is high level verbage (that is machine translated from Japanese) on the M50 Mark II - we don't know if they improved AF sensitivity, DPAF during 4K, full width 4K,etc.

and btw, you replied to me commenting to someone else that wanted a 32.5MP sensor and IBIS .. for again under $700. That's simply unrealistic.

so when you consider all that, tell me.. what would you have expected.

As a Canon M50 user, i have my wishlist.
This pseudo M5 feature list was too good...

But i would like to read about realistic features, in special from you, since you run a website.

I understood your 700,00 price logic since the beginning, from the others topics about this rumors, but you never told what to expect.

I apologize my rudeness, i mean no offense to your person.

Upvote 0
Canon generally upgrades all their cameras to the next generation of sensors over time. The 32 MB sensor has been out for over a year. Given the 3 1/2 year update cycle for the M50, I'm surprised they didn't didn't go with the newer sensor. We will see what will happen, but my guess is that the M50 mk.2 will not sell nearly as well with these specs. Adding the newer sensor with DPAF in 4k, and bumping the FPS above the current camera would likely have been enough to sell many M50 mk.2's - this seems like a miss to me.
Like someone else wrote, when I read the article I thought it was a mistake because it has almost the exact same specs as the original M50.

Upvote 0
Canon generally upgrades all their cameras to the next generation of sensors over time. The 32 MB sensor has been out for over a year. Given the 3 1/2 year update cycle for the M50, I'm surprised they didn't didn't go with the newer sensor. We will see what will happen, but my guess is that the M50 mk.2 will not sell nearly as well with these specs. Adding the newer sensor with DPAF in 4k, and bumping the FPS above the current camera would likely have been enough to sell many M50 mk.2's - this seems like a miss to me.
Like someone else wrote, when I read the article I thought it was a mistake because it has almost the exact same specs as the original M50.

The delay in upgrading the sensor is likely due to the falling number of units sold. Canon needs to achieve some kind of economies of scale. Sensors are cut from wafers and the production process has some serious fixed costs, so there is a lot of accurate forecasting and planning that is required. Going forward, the camera market will be brutal. Oly is out. Who's next? Nikon?

Upvote 0
I'd like a M5 mkII, and pull out all the stops, price it as need be.
Even if I use it only with the wonderful little 32mm f/1.4 it will be worth it.
But I also have the lovely 11-22, 22 f/2, and a 12mm f/2.
There are enough nice little lenses available to make a top of the line M body very appealing. Especially as a travel kit.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Did I? Can't say I did .. but dial back the judgement a bit from 11 ;)

Canon rarely raises prices of it's entry level cameras - canon competes in this segment on PRICE. They always have. So if the M50 was sub $700, there's a good chance the M50 Mark II would be sub $700. See how that works?

I've mentioned this before: The M50 sold well because it was pretty: "pretty good" "pretty cheap" "pretty small" "pretty light"

Secondly, there's certainly room for improvement around video - none of that needs or really wants the 32MP sensor, since oversampling from 32MP is a pain in the ass. Whether this has it or not remains to be seen.

There was little stuff that should be fixed from the M50. The awkward silent shooting, eyeAF in all modes, lack of DPAF in 4K and so on that didn't require a full blown revamp. there was a ton of other gotchas as well. I think even bulb mode was a bit fussy and awkward.

Finally .. even though it's competition has increased, outside of perhaps video and fps (which Canon can talk fast and say it's 10FPS), the competition in this price range isn't much better. So why would canon toss the kitchen sink into it. also with increased competition, canon usually again, competes on price in this segment, see point A.

At times Canon history has refreshed an entry level model to simply .. refresh an entry level camera model. newer cameras sell better than older cameras.

And finally - all we have is high level verbage (that is machine translated from Japanese) on the M50 Mark II - we don't know if they improved AF sensitivity, DPAF during 4K, full width 4K,etc.

and btw, you replied to me commenting to someone else that wanted a 32.5MP sensor and IBIS .. for again under $700. That's simply unrealistic.

so when you consider all that, tell me.. what would you have expected.
I think my point is I expected one or the other to justify an upgrade to what should have been a new camera, it is simply shocking given the expectations of this release, no one said it had to be cheap it could have been the saviour of the M mount where as we now have to hope there is an m5 that delivers

Upvote 0
I'd like a M5 mkII, and pull out all the stops, price it as need be.
Even if I use it only with the wonderful little 32mm f/1.4 it will be worth it.
But I also have the lovely 11-22, 22 f/2, and a 12mm f/2.
There are enough nice little lenses available to make a top of the line M body very appealing. Especially as a travel kit.
Me too. Right now I have an M5 and an M6 II and I find always having to have two cameras undesirable.

Upvote 0
As a Canon M50 user, i have my wishlist.
This pseudo M5 feature list was too good...

But i would like to read about realistic features, in special from you, since you run a website.

I understood your 700,00 price logic since the beginning, from the others topics about this rumors, but you never told what to expect.

I apologize my rudeness, i mean no offense to your person.

nothing rude about it :)

basically, I simply thought it was going to be an update on the M50. some improvements but nothing earth shattering.

Canon's Mark nn camera bodies are usually iterative in nature. Frankly, I do have to admit, it got less than what I thought it would.

In my own opinion I thought it should have something around this though (my own personal feel on what would be a home run hit).
- newly developed 24MP sensor
- 10 fps with AF
- 4K30p full width lineskipped. 5K downsampled with crop 4k30p and 1.5x crop 4K modes
- headphone / mic jack

but part of me even with just that thought it was "too good" for 700, and also too good when compared to the M6 Mark II. We also don't know. If canon has plans for a M5 Mark II maybe in feb 2021, it could very well be they want seperation. it's always hard to judge because we don't have the full picture.

I thought the 32MP sensor rumor was odd, and I questioned the high end specs - I think we still may see an M with that, just not a M50 Mark II.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I find it interesting that the vast majority of Canon Rumors members seem to have a totally different view of what the target consumer for the M series cameras is - compared to Canon's view - and I think the actual reality. This is the entry-level mirrorless version of the Rebel. The target consumer for the Rebel does not upgrade with each generation - probably not with every other generation. The target market is for folks who have no DSLR or ILC, or those who have a Rebel for 6 to 8 years and need a new camera. And also those who may have a bigger camera and are looking for something small and light to more conveniently carry around. Maybe a new camera for their teenagers who might be interested in photography or someone starting to vlog. The target consumer is someone who might go into Best Buy and ask to see the newest, cheapest Canon camera. They won't compare it to the Mark I, or care about how it differs or improves upon the previous model. I might buy one if I decide to add a tiny camera to my kit. I won't care that it is a minor upgrade. All I will care about it is is it worth the price. It probably will be.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon usually moves the Rebel line sensor to the d line in the next generation. This isn’t going to move the needle for Canon. Fine camera and it takes good pictures, but hard to tempt anyone to purchase if they already have a camera with Canon’s 24 MP sensor. That sensor has been around a long time and been in a lot of cameras. Canon better get the M5 mk2 out quickly. The reaction in this forum will mirror the reviewers too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0