Canon EOS M50 Mark II information leaks out ahead of the official announcement

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
Did I? Can't say I did .. but dial back the judgement a bit from 11 ;)

Canon rarely raises prices of it's entry level cameras - canon competes in this segment on PRICE. They always have. So if the M50 was sub $700, there's a good chance the M50 Mark II would be sub $700. See how that works?

I've mentioned this before: The M50 sold well because it was pretty: "pretty good" "pretty cheap" "pretty small" "pretty light"

Secondly, there's certainly room for improvement around video - none of that needs or really wants the 32MP sensor, since oversampling from 32MP is a pain in the ass. Whether this has it or not remains to be seen.

There was little stuff that should be fixed from the M50. The awkward silent shooting, eyeAF in all modes, lack of DPAF in 4K and so on that didn't require a full blown revamp. there was a ton of other gotchas as well. I think even bulb mode was a bit fussy and awkward.

Finally .. even though it's competition has increased, outside of perhaps video and fps (which Canon can talk fast and say it's 10FPS), the competition in this price range isn't much better. So why would canon toss the kitchen sink into it. also with increased competition, canon usually again, competes on price in this segment, see point A.

At times Canon history has refreshed an entry level model to simply .. refresh an entry level camera model. newer cameras sell better than older cameras.

And finally - all we have is high level verbage (that is machine translated from Japanese) on the M50 Mark II - we don't know if they improved AF sensitivity, DPAF during 4K, full width 4K,etc.

and btw, you replied to me commenting to someone else that wanted a 32.5MP sensor and IBIS .. for again under $700. That's simply unrealistic.

so when you consider all that, tell me.. what would you have expected.

Looks like the price is $599 in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

sobrien

CR Pro
Apr 26, 2020

Body looks identical. No Fv mode. I honestly expected that to feature on every new Canon camera. Basically as everyone has said this feels like a firmware update adding eye AF in AI Servo.

Will be interesting to see if it at least added min shutter speed with auto ISO. Surely they could not have left that out again?!

Surely?!?!

Upvote 0
So the new M50 doesn’t even have dual pixel AF in 4K, and still has the same 1.5 crop factor? Canon updated the best selling camera in the world after almost 4 years and only added better eye detection. That’s it. This isn’t just another camera - the M50 has been the best selling camera in Japan and on Amazon USA for a long time. The comments on YouTube to the official Canon USA video are justifiably brutal. I’m very surprised and equally disappointed by this release. I’m a Canon user for 30 years and this release as much as any just makes me question the company’s direction.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Seriously, this is a ridiculous and pointless update. Well, i guess they can sell it again at the original price.
Tells a lot about the future of the M system. Not a single lens in a full year and one firmware update.

They could have had the best vlogging camera on the market by just adding dual pixel to 4K and no crop. All Youtube would have recommended this camera.
I really don't get their thinking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So the new M50 doesn’t even have dual pixel AF in 4K, and still has the same 1.5 crop factor? Canon updated the best selling camera in the world after almost 4 years and only added better eye detection. That’s it. This isn’t just another camera - the M50 has been the best selling camera in Japan and on Amazon USA for a long time. The comments on YouTube to the official Canon USA video are justifiably brutal. I’m very surprised and equally disappointed by this release. I’m a Canon user for 30 years and this release as much as any just makes me question the company’s direction.
This update (not upgrade) seems like a joke. Clean HDMI output, better eye AF, vertical video and maybe direct streaming should be possible as firmware upgrade and it would have been a good move by Canon to offer a firmware upgrade for maybe 49 bucks ($ or €) - but maybe this is not how economics works. Make things incompatible, urge users to buy new stuff is in our current system necessary.

On the other hand: Canon helped me a lot by making most of its stuff (EF lenses) really usable over a long time and with really exciting new camera bodies. Just bought the EF-S 15-85 2nd hand - to create a good and flexible video camera consisting of an M50 + that 5.5x zoom + a diy Mid Side microphone for flexible stereo recording.

Upvote 0
Seriously, this is a ridiculous and pointless update. Well, i guess they can sell it again at the original price.
Tells a lot about the future of the M system. Not a single lens in a full year and one firmware update.
M50 mark ii is MEH, but it tells me that there is a chance for a beafier (beafier inside) more video oriented
M camera with IBIS, non-cropped 4k with DPAF in most modes and more controls ...

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
Canon usually moves the Rebel line sensor to the d line in the next generation. This isn’t going to move the needle for Canon. Fine camera and it takes good pictures, but hard to tempt anyone to purchase if they already have a camera with Canon’s 24 MP sensor. That sensor has been around a long time and been in a lot of cameras. Canon better get the M5 mk2 out quickly. The reaction in this forum will mirror the reviewers too.
unless you are an ambassador, and like handbags

Upvote 0

Roby Davis

EOSR, M50, 6DMKII, 70D, 5DMKII, 40D, 30D, RebelXT
Oct 13, 2020
robydavis.com
I have to eat my words. I really thought I was going to pre order this camera no matter what. This is pretty disappointing, the m6 MKII would be the perfect camera if it had a built in viewfinder (the external one is crap) and a proper flip screen. I really regret selling my Canon m50 (mark i) now.

How did Canon screw this up so bad?

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I really don't get their thinking.
How about this? Do an upgrade with the absolute minimum of non-recurring expenses (i.e., engineering costs) but don't expect a lot of people to upgrade. Low cost, low benefit.

If they really want to pitch it as a vlogger's camera, they really need to introduce a 15 f/2 lens. Actually, they needed to introduce it about 2 years ago.

Upvote 0
I have to eat my words. I really thought I was going to pre order this camera no matter what. This is pretty disappointing, the m6 MKII would be the perfect camera if it had a built in viewfinder (the external one is crap) and a proper flip screen. I really regret selling my Canon m50 (mark i) now.

How did Canon screw this up so bad?

Market segmentation? A M50 mark ii with full sensor 4k, DPAF in all relevant modes would have been a reason not to buy C70 for me for the next 2 or 3 years as someone who plans to go into video. So C70 stays interesting if I do video in a more profound way (audio subsystem and up to 10 stops built-in ND filters is a big plus).

In the end maybe I will stay with what I have, the M50 and the RP and lots of cheap but great EF(-S) lenses and the 22 / 32 mm EF-M lenses.

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2019
I am not defending this as it seems like a firmware update to me, but some percentage(may be small) will upgrade to the MarkII. People who were going to buy a MarkI can buy the MarkII instead for the same price. They sell a few more units than they would without the upgrade.
I think the only people that will upgrade from the mark 1 will be those with an insurance claim

Upvote 0