Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
in short:
i will happily work with the R, it has some very nice quirks for my style of shooting and happily sell my old 5D III. however i feel there are still some elements that could and should be improved in the next version and i am looking forward to that camera for also replacing my 5D IV. overall, the experience of using mirrorless i ways better than some years ago where i tried out Fuji (X100s, XT1) and sony (a7 II) - those cameras i found not reliable and usable enough for my professional work.
Sony unreliable or not usable enough? Sacrilege!!! ;)

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Can you give a link?
Page 9 of this thread, look for a post from Viggo
alternatively look for the Canon R disassembly review by Roger Cicala.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I didn't get an error message, but it just didn't seem to work, so I updated 1.3.0 and then it did! The onscreen instructions also seem to say that you should do the earlier update first, but I suspect that is because you won't automatically get the 1.3.0 code if you don't do the actual update in sequence. In a Windows update, you seem to be able to 'skip' an individual update, and it will update cumulatively (albeit with potentially multiple restarts). I don't think the Canon updates work that way.
I don’t think that is correct, I think all previous updates are always included in the next firmware. Can you imagine the chaos of different functions and errors if there is 10 firmwares for the R and some skipped this and some skipped that? I think every new firmware includes every old firmware.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Page 9 of this thread, look for a post from Viggo
alternatively look for the Canon R disassembly review by Roger Cicala.

You said "multiple evidences". Roger says sealing isn't as robust as 5D Mark IV but he didn't try to use the camera under rain. Imaging-resource did a very through test:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-r/canon-eos-rWEATHERTESTING.HTM

and EOS R passed with 5 star. Here's their conclusion:

Overall, the EOS R seems quite well-sealed against the weather. It passed our standard 35-minute "heavy rain" test with flying colors, and even maintained full functionality of its touch-screen and the eye-detection sensor for its electronic viewfinder throughout. Beyond that, it stood up to 50 minutes of the same soaking the day after, impressive given that its gaskets would already have been pretty wet from the first day's test. And even after this extreme soaking, it returned to full functioning after just overnight drying.

Bottom line, the Canon EOS R has very good weather-sealing, and we'd have no qualms about using it for short intervals in heavy rain, and for longer periods of time in light rain or drizzle.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
You said "multiple evidences". Roger says sealing isn't as robust as 5D Mark IV but he didn't try to use the camera under rain. Imaging-resource did a very through test:
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/canon-eos-r/canon-eos-rWEATHERTESTING.HTM

Overall, the EOS R seems quite well-sealed against the weather. It passed our standard 35-minute "heavy rain" test with flying colors, and even maintained full functionality of its touch-screen and the eye-detection sensor for its electronic viewfinder throughout. Beyond that, it stood up to 50 minutes of the same soaking the day after, impressive given that its gaskets would already have been pretty wet from the first day's test. And even after this extreme soaking, it returned to full functioning after just overnight drying.

Bottom line, the Canon EOS R has very good weather-sealing, and we'd have no qualms about using it for short intervals in heavy rain, and for longer periods of time in light rain or drizzle.
This to me shows just how tricky water really is. Mine gave out in a light rain for 15-20 minutes with me trying to cover the camera as much as possible. Keep the VF vertical would be my tip.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

yup, tell this to Viggo :) now, seriously: you do not need to get the camera under the heavy rain to give some odds based on quality of of weather sealing or the lack of thereof.. according to Uncle Rog: EOS R sealing is to the same level as Sony A7 III

now, i rarely being direct but in this instance let me comment:

"... And even after this extreme soaking, it returned to full functioning after just overnight drying..."

Great! phew...:D weather sealing failed but camera works fine after electronics dried up. what a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I don’t think that is correct, I think all previous updates are always included in the next firmware. Can you imagine the chaos of different functions and errors if there is 10 firmwares for the R and some skipped this and some skipped that? I think every new firmware includes every old firmware.

Having being involved in hardware in the past (phones), you're almost certainly correct. It's everything in one bundle. It makes it much simpler when it comes to support and QA. I'd be very, very, very surprised if it were otherwise.

On the rare occasion, a firmware upgrade may change the firmware upgrade process itself (add digital signing, etc.) That might cause you to need to upgrade through the older version that changes the process first.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
Upgraded my RP last night, and it's gotten the same general touch/drag performance increase everyone is talking about for the R. Very responsive now. Feels like a new camera. It was good before, and I used it; but the sluggishness meant it wasn't as fast as it could be. Now it's like lightning to switch focus points!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Having being involved in hardware in the past (phones), you're almost certainly correct. It's everything in one bundle. It makes it much simpler when it comes to support and QA. I'd be very, very, very surprised if it were otherwise.

On the rare occasion, a firmware upgrade may change the firmware upgrade process itself (add digital signing, etc.) That might cause you to need to upgrade through the older version that changes the process first.
This sounds logical. It may have been something less sinister that meant my first try at an upgrade didn't work - thankfully the process is pretty quick, so doing 1.3.0 and then 1.4.0 again only took 10 minutes!

I 'resurrected' an old iPhone a couple of years ago that hadn't been updated for multiple years, and that one I certainly had to go through the upgrades/updates sequentially. I think after a period of time you have to do that, although what the cut-off point is I don't know.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
This sounds logical. It may have been something less sinister that meant my first try at an upgrade didn't work - thankfully the process is pretty quick, so doing 1.3.0 and then 1.4.0 again only took 10 minutes!

I 'resurrected' an old iPhone a couple of years ago that hadn't been updated for multiple years, and that one I certainly had to go through the upgrades/updates sequentially. I think after a period of time you have to do that, although what the cut-off point is I don't know.

Things like iPhones are often changing the basic process to remove jailbreak & other vulnerabilities, so this doesn’t surprise me.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Sorry, downloaded the update and the eye detect is still indifferent.
I use the R on people in the studio on a white background. It cannot even detect a face reliably. I have to start it on the face and it wanders if the subject moves even a bit.

Perfectly meaningless feature for me.
Given the huge amount of positive comments about the update, it seems like your camera has an issue (did you verify the update did indeed work) or there is some kind of user error involved.

Maybe you should investigate more before dismissing the feature. Or at least highlight the reason why your use case yields different results than what is being reported by others. I would certainly be interested in that since it seems to me like Canon has a much better handle on AF software now.

Upvote 0
Sorry, downloaded the update and the eye detect is still indifferent.
I use the R on people in the studio on a white background. It cannot even detect a face reliably. I have to start it on the face and it wanders if the subject moves even a bit.

Perfectly meaningless feature for me.

I have had the same issue. It is updated for sure and the touch and drag is a lot smoother now. I shot a wedding in the weekend, while it was really good in detecting the eye. Sometimes it just got total wacky and locked on backgrounds with no eyes or faces. Even I dragged the red circle on a eye it jumped right back to the original erroneous spot. I also had trouble focusing on back lit objects even when there was enough light (barely -1 EV). With eye focus AND manual focus selection. I got frustrated and whipped my 5D IV and snapped away with no trouble.
It seems to me that EOS R needs a lot of light to operate correctly and has trouble with backlit scenes. I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, maybe it is user error on my part. In that case I would like to ask the community to figure this out with me.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I have had the same issue. It is updated for sure and the touch and drag is a lot smoother now. I shot a wedding in the weekend, while it was really good in detecting the eye. Sometimes it just got total wacky and locked on backgrounds with no eyes or faces. Even I dragged the red circle on a eye it jumped right back to the original erroneous spot. I also had trouble focusing on back lit objects even when there was enough light (barely -1 EV). With eye focus AND manual focus selection. I got frustrated and whipped my 5D IV and snapped away with no trouble.
It seems to me that EOS R needs a lot of light to operate correctly and has trouble with backlit scenes. I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, maybe it is user error on my part. In that case I would like to ask the community to figure this out with me.
Why aren’t you using Servo AF? With the Servo AF you can change the way it behaves when tracking, for example lock it to a subject or have it jump. With One Shot you’re more limited, and while the white square is moving around, it isn’t focusing (unless you have Continuous AF activated)?

Upvote 0

Thanhha

EOS R
Jul 24, 2019
Given the huge amount of positive comments about the update, it seems like your camera has an issue (did you verify the update did indeed work) or there is some kind of user error involved.

Maybe you should investigate more before dismissing the feature. Or at least highlight the reason why your use case yields different results than what is being reported by others. I would certainly be interested in that since it seems to me like Canon has a much better handle on AF software now.
Maybe he tried to focus on the face of a man on the moon :LOL: j/k

Upvote 0
Why aren’t you using Servo AF? With the Servo AF you can change the way it behaves when tracking, for example lock it to a subject or have it jump. With One Shot you’re more limited, and while the white square is moving around, it isn’t focusing (unless you have Continuous AF activated)?

I did. The blue square did not catch the faces or eyes fast enough. It went really big and slowly got smaller until it could find a face or eye. One Shot could find the eye better from what I have noticed even if the initial focus was blurry and snatched the eye lightning fast when AF was acquired while taking the shot (no continues AF).

two things to add as well.
1. I was mostly shooting group portrait shots.
2. I also use a large continues LED ring light with the assistent for when it gets really dark. Especially in these cases eye/face focus would lose it, even if the subject was perfectly lit. 5D IV with face detect LV has no problems with these scenarios.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I did. The blue square did not catch the faces or eyes fast enough. It went really big and slowly got smaller until it could find a face or eye. One Shot could find the eye better from what I have noticed even if the initial focus was blurry and snatched the eye lightning fast when AF was acquired while taking the shot (no continues AF).

two things to add as well.
1. I was mostly shooting group portrait shots.
2. I also use a large continues LED ring light with the assistent for when it gets really dark. Especially in these cases eye/face focus would lose it, even if the subject was perfectly lit. 5D IV with face detect LV has no problems with these scenarios.
It might be worth using Google to see what is out there about setting up Canon eye/face focus.

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I been wondering bit how RP doesnt lock focus if view is underexposed ,putting longer exposure and getting simulation lighted right and it locks fast.
Maybe camera thinks it knows better when good idea to shoot and refuses cooperate when picture is underexposed :p at least it wont shoot untill something is focuesd.
havent yet updated mine ,need buy empty memory card :)

Upvote 0