Canon EOS R firmware 1.4.0 now available for download

The eye af seems great now. But the biggest improvement for me is the touch and drag. What a huge improvement. Totally usable now.

A thing that i wish they would have fixed is the fake no blackout. There should be an option to turn it off so you can have a normal dslr-like blackout. With the fake one you have no clue of where your subject is going. Really frustrating.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So now you know what we are talking when we got angry with Canon because of lack of response with the mirrorless and evoluting. Don´t want to be a "hater" but....I use this since December 2017! And we are now in late September 2019...This is what guys like me, that love Canon were complaining about...Canon took too long to response, but i am happy that finally they are responding! Hope they can catch up so i can sell my Sony and back 100% in Canon line!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

gzroxas

Canon EOS R / Travel and Landscape
Oct 3, 2018
Italy
Sounds like everyone is happy with this update so far! I have a 80d and want to upgrade to full frame should I get the R now or wait until gen 2? What would you do? ( I have already invested in some nice L glass throughout years.)
Same boat here! The R is getting very exciting, I’m now only waiting for the intervalometer (and if they can do anything to further improve video, I’ll take that!!)

Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
So now you know what we are talking when we got angry with Canon because of lack of response with the mirrorless and evoluting. Don´t want to be a "hater" but....I use this since December 2017! And we are now in late September 2019...This is what guys like me, that love Canon were complaining about...Canon took too long to response, but i am happy that finally they are responding! Hope they can catch up so i can sell my Sony and back 100% in Canon line!

Benefit of the doubt, you mean December 2018, right? EOS R hasn't been out even a year yet (Canon EOS R Released: October 25, 2018).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sounds like everyone is happy with this update so far! I have a 80d and want to upgrade to full frame should I get the R now or wait until gen 2? What would you do? ( I have already invested in some nice L glass throughout years.)

I had the 80D and FF 6DMKi & MKII. Was never that impressed with the 80D's noise performance. I got rid of the 80D and the 6D MKII to get the EOS R and I'm very happy with it; IQ at least on a par with the 5D MKIV and in a much smaller body. The EVF is so good I don't notice the difference between it & a regular optical viewfinder. Battery performance obviously not so good as the 80D but the R takes the same batteries.

Sounds like the next R will be a high MP beast & then maybe a 1DX type sports shooter. They're both likely to be considerably more expensive than the R so unless you need 75-80 MP and dual card slots, I'd go with the R otherwise you may have a long wait...

Upvote 0
The AF improvements are massive, and important. I've watched some real world comparisons and it's definitely holding it's own against other brands.

But, I'm a little bummed. I was hoping they'd let the R have Focus Bracketing with this. The RP has it, and I'm not sure why, but I just thought they might include it.

Maybe next time.
Focus bracketing would have been a nice touch. Don't know why they skimp on such little features like this when its something already available in the ecosystem. That aspect of their business model is quite sad. Auto focus is one of the most crucial aspects of a camera, it determines whether you get the shot or don't.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Paul6

CR Pro
Sep 26, 2019
New EOS R firmware, dramatic AF improvement
I have just upgraded the firmware in my EOS R to 1.4 what a difference it makes
Using my trainee hairdressers head I did a few simple tests using the 50mm RF lens
Before upgrade eye autofocus works up to about 1m to 2m away from the face. After the upgrade the it now works from about 5m to 6m a dramatic improvement.
The touch and drag has also improved, much more responsive.
Cannot wait to try it out next weekend on a real life model the beautiful SimoneH.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
The eye af seems great now. But the biggest improvement for me is the touch and drag. What a huge improvement. Totally usable now.

A thing that i wish they would have fixed is the fake no blackout. There should be an option to turn it off so you can have a normal dslr-like blackout. With the fake one you have no clue of where your subject is going. Really frustrating.

Thanks, I was hoping someone would report on the delay/blackout post-shot. Great to hear about the other improvements though.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
I discovered the touch and drag improvement last night after playing with eye-detect for awhile. At first I was really confused, because there was no mention of this improvement in the release notes, but there was a remarkable difference in the smoothness and speed. I questioned if I inadvertently changed some magical setting to achieve this result...but nope! Bonus feature in the firmware update! IMHO, Canon knocked this update out of the park. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Benefit of the doubt, you mean December 2018, right? EOS R hasn't been out even a year yet (Canon EOS R Released: October 25, 2018).

No, I mean i have this since I bought Sony A7r3 in December 2017! What i´m telling is that I use this since then (eye-af) and Canon users only now can benefict of this. And don´t believe the guys that said that this si not important, yes it is and I use it very often!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Downloaded firmware from Canon Asia. All went well with update. Touch and Drag does seem more precise, but, otherwise, I can't check much because I'm stuck in my house while tile is being installed in studio space (upgrade from painted concrete!)...Can't wait for kids to get home! (I thought of taking photos of the tile guys, but I don't want to distract them!)

Enjoy, all!

• Haha
Upvote 0