Canon EOS R Mark II in testing [CR2]

With these features mentioned, it will be double the price, so 3600$ versus 1800$.
But with the 1DXIII being so close, I still think they will start with the higher-end model first, and follow up the 5D Mark V with this one in a year from now, it just seems more logical.
In any case, these rumos are just all over the place and not very reliable until the announcement is close enough.
....so it will be 100 dollars more that the 5dmIV was when it came out, while being it’s functional replacement?

I think it will go up in price, the high mp R will be 3895 and the Rii 2495.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
I own an EM5II and find the EVF sucks compared to the R.

Wow. I mean, it was so much better it wasn't even close. It was the only one of the bunch that wasn't distractingly blurry when panning. It still had the brightness and DR problems of all the rest but at least it wasn't showing all those nasty video artifacts.

I shoot in bright daylight to near black and find the exposure simulation of the R to be superb. On my copy the colors are faithful. Perhaps the one you tried in the store wasn't set up properly?

It was at the defaults.

Upvote 0

MadScotsman

EOS R / RP
Sep 9, 2019
The EOS R is a fail for those who have big noses (not me by the way). Search for Michael the Maven's youtube video. The next R will almost certainly have a joystick for those that want to use it.

Yeah.

No.

I long ago stopped letting YouTube outrage peddlers drive my buying decisions. They gotta find SOMETHING to be criticizing. Or be proclaimed boring. Controversy means clicks. Clicks mean money.

I have a HUGE crooked honker. Think Jamie Farr but bigger.

No issues at all. Even with this monster schnozz.

The screen drag focus point is one of the greatest features of the R.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yeah.

No.

I long ago stopped letting YouTube outrage peddlers drive my buying decisions. They gotta find SOMETHING to be criticizing. Or be proclaimed boring. Controversy means

I have a HUGE crooked honker. Think Jamie Farr but bigger.

No issues at all. Even with this monster schnozz.

The screen drag focus is one of the greatest features of the R.
With 5 different ways to set up touch and drag.

I've seen review videos that were given based on what the reviewer had read. They had never touched the camera. One was by Maven. He admits it in this review before he had ever touched it.

Apparently he says he did buy an R in another review. However, the nose ain't no problem if he says it is. In another review he gets into the number of button presses it takes to change ISO. Well, mine is mapped to the control ring. No button presses. He didn't even mention that. It all comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The EOS R is a fail for those who have big noses (not me by the way). Search for Michael the Maven's youtube video. The next R will almost certainly have a joystick for those that want to use it.
Only if your nose happens to be located on your right cheekbone, further to the right than your eye. If that's the case, you have bigger problems than a touch screen.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
....so it will be 100 dollars more that the 5dmIV was when it came out, while being it’s functional replacement?

I think it will go up in price, the high mp R will be 3895 and the Rii 2495.
It will be worth it and I'll just have to pose for more boudoir shots to earn my gear I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Only if your nose happens to be located on your right cheekbone, further to the right than your eye. If that's the case, you have bigger problems than a touch screen.
Those who are left eye dominant do have their nose to the right of their viewing eye. If that were not the case, they would Indeed have a bigger problem than a touch screen.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

A quick peek at my local camera store gives me:
Various SDHC cards at 95MBps
SD UHS II at 300MBps
Cfast at 550MBps
CF at 160MBps

so yes, SD is slow, but it is also passé. If you want to move cards around, then UHS II is the way to go. I can put the cards into most of my cameras, my laptop, a portable hard drive, my laptop, my tablet, my television, and even into my desktop computer!

CFExpress are 1700MBps read and 1200MBps write and thats the v1 cards.

Sandisk CF Express Extreme Pro 128GB 1700MB/s Read Speed, 1200MB/s Write Speed <- About £300 each so not dreadfully expensive.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Gross. I might be alone in this category but I hate that body and ergos, make it feel and operate like a 5d or 1d and I’m sold until then I’ll be stuck with a mirror till I die

You don't know the "body and ergos" because the rumor indicates it's based off a forthcoming camera, not the R MK1.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

Sandisk CF Express Extreme Pro 128GB 1700MB/s Read Speed, 1200MB/s Write Speed <- About £300 each so not dreadfully expensive.
Yes, the speed is fantastic. I think there are a few cards on the market that hit write speeds of 1550MB/S. When I first started using CF they were somewhere around 10MB in size and under 1MB/S transfer speed. We have come a long way!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Yes, the speed is fantastic. I think there are a few cards on the market that hit write speeds of 1550MB/S. When I first started using CF they were somewhere around 10MB in size and under 1MB/S transfer speed. We have come a long way!

Dumping a CFExpress card to my laptop in seconds is fantastic and I have found it more impressive than more RAM and more CPU cores. But mostly I just want to have a bag full of one card format I can swap between my cameras. It is better to me to have 6 CFExpress cards than 3 SD and 3 CFExpress for example, I wouldn't want to be caught out without storage to spare.

We are also ATM only on single, maybe dual lane CFExpress, the format can go to 8 lanes and is built on the PCIe standard so we can expect 4GB/s read and write soon.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I am sure the speed is extremely useful for you pros and 6x£300 isn't a big deal on your expenses, especially if written off against tax and especially if you reclaim VAT. For many of us enthusiasts, a handful of cheap SD cards is much better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I disagree
If the new R is truly a 5D mark replacement then it will be the professional biggest impact
The 5D mark line sells a ton and is probably by volume canons most important pro body
As this rumor spreads, current R sales will die and prices will fall drastically. Is this going to alienate the early adopters? :cautious:

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I am sure the speed is extremely useful for you pros and 6x£300 isn't a big deal on your expenses, especially if written off against tax and especially if you reclaim VAT. For many of us enthusiasts, a handful of cheap SD cards is much better.

I wouldn't mind faster download speeds for getting pictures of the card(s), but it would mean adding €1000 to the price of the new R for 2 cards and a reader. That's L lens kind of money :)

Upvote 0
SD is significantly slower, almost 10x slower and CFExpress is getting faster time moves on. It’s like a HDD vs a SSD. Then there is just the desire to be able to share my cards between different cameras.

Not that it isn't still a big difference, but the speed difference is more like 5x. And in real-world performance, it likely wouldn't even match that. UHS-iii is also coming on the market, so although CFExpress will undoubtedly get even faster, so will SD.

Frankly, considering how long it took for canon to even move to UHS-ii and USB 3.0, I really doubt they'll be adopting CFExpress in this category of camera for some time. They also seem to prioritise maintaining standards, such as battery type and media type, over keeping up with the latest and greatest. Just my guess anyway.

Upvote 0