Canon EOS R vs 5D Mark IV - Pros & Cons

Jan 29, 2011
I believe I have high expectations for AF too, that is why I spent $7,000 per 1DS MkIII rather than $3,000 for the relevant 5 series at the time, but I don't take that to extremes, I don't worry about what my image looks like at 100% on a 27" monitor if I am going to print it at 12" x 18". I don't care which eyelash is sharpest in an image that when printed all seem equally sharp, it's just too easy to obsess at insane and impractical magnification sizes.

Sure there will always be applications where that performance is needed/desired, Alan's example of bird plumage when heavily cropped is one, but I'd venture that in general that isn't the norm for the majority of users.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I believe I have high expectations for AF too, that is why I spent $7,000 per 1DS MkIII rather than $3,000 for the relevant 5 series at the time, but I don't take that to extremes, I don't worry about what my image looks like at 100% on a 27" monitor if I am going to print it at 12" x 18". I don't care which eyelash is sharpest in an image that when printed all seem equally sharp, it's just too easy to obsess at insane and impractical magnification sizes.

Sure there will always be applications where that performance is needed/desired, Alan's example of bird plumage when heavily cropped is one, but I'd venture that in general that isn't the norm for the majority of users.
Agreed!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Scratch that; everyone should see one. Period.

I think you and I have talked about how I happened upon one once in Prague when a tour I took literally ended in the gallery, and how I was so enthralled, and so disgusted by my own portfolio I thought about burning my equipment.
I remember you saying about it before, I don't remember that you were so impacted you thought to burn your gear! Glad you didn't :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I also have very high demands on AF precision - needing to crop very heavily to see fine feather detail. I got the 5DIV and 5DSR as soon as they were released, and they have performed faultlessly since then with no deterioration in performance. You complain that then1D series deteriorate over 4-5 years, but you will have to wait and see if the R is the same in your hands.

Hi AlanF, just out of curiosity.

Are you still using 5DSr after you bought the 5DIV?

Which provide better look in terms of colour?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Hi AlanF, just out of curiosity.

Are you still using 5DSr after you bought the 5DIV?

Which provide better look in terms of colour?

Thanks.
The 5DSR is my camera of choice. Its significantly higher resolution makes up for its drawbacks vs the 5DIV for my uses as I use telephotos and are limited by reach. The AF is very good indeed, not quite as fast as the 5DIV but still fast enough. It's no noisier at iso 6400. Basically, the IQ of the bare 100-400mm II on the 5DSR is at least as good as the lens + 1.4xTC on the 5DIV, and is operated at f/5.6 instead of f/8. Also the 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC on the 5DSR if anything is sharper than the 400mm DO II + 2xTC on the 5DIV. As far as colour is concerned, I shoot in RAW and the colour makes little difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
[QUOTE="It's no noisier at iso 6400.

Hi AlanF,
Thanks for the sharing.
5DSr isn’t any noisier than 5DIV at ISO6400?
For most of the review I saw, it is way noisier above ISO3200 compare to 5D4.
Just curious.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]
I should definitely think so too. The eos R is quite a bit noisier than the 1dx2 also. Smaller pixels, more noise, I don’t think it’s any way around that when the sensor are from the same generation, and when then 5dsr is older, I don’t see how they would match. At least not on paper, if it’s visible in every shot isn’t as obvious.

Upvote 0