Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There has been recent talk around the web about Canon EOS R1 specifications, and we have been working to verify the information before posting them. It turns out, the specifications are “pretty close to reality” according to a solid source. Earlier this month we posted that the EOS R1 would be lower resolution that initiall

See full article...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Dec 13, 2010
If I’m honest, I’m not really blown away by the specs.. Usually Canon is better than their specs so we’ll see. The sync speed is weird not being “any speed” like the Sony when you have pure electronic shutter. Resolution is disappointing , I expected 45 at least. AF will, as always, be the most interesting aspect. Sony have issues with sharpness using the the fully electronic, hopefully Canon as solved that as well.

No mention of Quadpixel AF?

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
If I’m honest, I’m not really blown away by the specs.. Usually Canon is better than their specs so we’ll see. The sync speed is weird not being “any speed” like the Sony when you have pure electronic shutter. Resolution is disappointing , I expected 45 at least. AF will, as always, be the most interesting aspect. Sony have issues with sharpness using the the fully electronic, hopefully Canon as solved that as well.

Sony is global shutter.
Eletronic shutter are still rolling shutter.

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015

The one series has never been high megapixel. It is more a sports camera. This is the highest megapixel count ever on 1-series. EOS 1D X Mark III has just 20 megapixels.

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Sony is global shutter.

If the readout is fast enough (which it will be), there won't be any rolling shutter effect. You also get the bonus of not losing image quality by going the global shutter route.

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
Sony is global shutter.
Global shutter is also electronic, there's no mechanical parts in it.
The only difference is whether it resets and reads rows of pixels sequentially or simultaneously.

Very fast rolling electronic shutter will be no different from a global shutter in most cases; also, Sony's global shutter has a dynamic range penalty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If I’m honest, I’m not really blown away by the specs.. Usually Canon is better than their specs so we’ll see. The sync speed is weird not being “any speed” like the Sony when you have pure electronic shutter. […]
This rumour says the R1 will have a stacked sensor, but not a global shutter one. So it will have a fast read out speed, but it will still read the lines sequentially. The A9III reads all the lines at once.

This seems to be 5 times faster than the sensor in the R3, so a nice improvement, just not as impressive as a global shutter would be.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This rumour says the R1 will have a stacked sensor, but not a global shutter one. So it will have a fast read out speed, but it will still read the lines sequentially. The A9III reads all the lines at once.

This seems to be 5 times faster than the sensor in the R3, so a nice improvement, just not as impressive as a global shutter would be.

I'll be blunt... a global shutter is stupid for a photography focused camera. A couple of legitimate NFL Sony pros I know feel the same way. It's great for the YouTube/Grifter crowd though.

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com
This is fantastic!
The readout is faster than I would ever need for my wildlife photography and 1/1250th of a second flash sync speed should be a welcome addition for people who use strobes.
I am really happy they prioritised dynamic range over a global shutter design and added the 1 second pre roll.
I am sure people will be disapointed with the 30mpx but I see this as a good upgrade from the R3 and is more than enough for what I do. Getting close to your subject will always work better than cropping the files. Bring on the pre order link!

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0