Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 to receive new firmware next week

What nobody hardly ever writes about is that the R3 is in urgent need of a firmware fix regarding issues such as the camera crashing after switching off from sleep mode (it no longer can be powered on until the battery is removed and reinstalled) and that the camera sometimes drains the battery all the way down even when powered off. I know as a fact that I‘m not the only one dealing with these issues, but I guess there are too few R3s out there that this would be a major discussion topic. Nevertheless, it is a little disappointing from my perspective since I‘ve had this pricy camera since May now and this has yet to be addressed. So I‘ll be keeping my fingers crossed that this is hidden somewhere in the new firmware.
How long does your R3 take to drain the battery when it is powered off? It's interesting that it only does it sometimes so it does sound like a bug.

Upvote 0
I am happy that canon has given us multiple bug fixes and new features on every firmware up until 1.5.2. Now, I look forward to seeing a few more features like the removal of the 29:59 minutes of recording limit. some of you may wonder why you need more recording limit as the camera is going to overheat anyway by that time. But my take is it has multiple formats that don't overheat like regular 4K, 4K Crop up to 30fps, 1080P up to 60fps doesn't overheat quickly. This mode will be pretty useful to record long forms of content such as podcasts, wedding ceremonies, interviews, etc. But I will also like to see canon push that overheating border a little more cause we all know the fact that Canon has implemented the software-based timer in the camera from getting it fried itself and we also know that from various resources the camera has refused to record even though the internal components are at the temperature of 62-degree celsius whereas the modern components can easily work up to 95-degree celsius. So I will like to see upcoming firmware to change that limitation and allow the camera to get a little hotter as Sony's camera also have the mode to keep the camera in high-temperature mode.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2020
What nobody hardly ever writes about is that the R3 is in urgent need of a firmware fix regarding issues such as the camera crashing after switching off from sleep mode (it no longer can be powered on until the battery is removed and reinstalled) and that the camera sometimes drains the battery all the way down even when powered off. I know as a fact that I‘m not the only one dealing with these issues, but I guess there are too few R3s out there that this would be a major discussion topic. Nevertheless, it is a little disappointing from my perspective since I‘ve had this pricy camera since May now and this has yet to be addressed. So I‘ll be keeping my fingers crossed that this is hidden somewhere in the new firmware.

Owner since February and did not ever experienced similar issues. Could still be the card issue, battery issue, etc.

Upvote 0
Why a smart move for Canon? I agree that it is arbitrary and simple to remove but Canon would rather sell you a R5C at a premium over R5 if you really need the extended recording time.

Myself and many others aren't buying a $4800 R5c just to get non-crippled recording lengths when we can get it for $1,500 with the R7, or from just about every camera from Sony, Fuji, & Panasonic. And while the R5c is great in many ways, it's undeniable trash when it comes to battery optimization in the video OS. It's a step backwards in many ways for shooter like myself who have no interest in rigging it with an external battery solution.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Owner since February and did not ever experienced similar issues. Could still be the card issue, battery issue, etc.
It’s not a card, battery or settings issue. I’ve updated the R5 and R3 to incorporate the previous “fixes.” The freezes are less frequent but they do occur. I’m reconciled to just accepting that we will have to wait until the Mark II versions. Maybe by then Canon will have it figured out. If you’ve never experienced it count yourself lucky.

Upvote 0
Myself and many others aren't buying a $4800 R5c just to get non-crippled recording lengths when we can get it for $1,500 with the R7, or from just about every camera from Sony, Fuji, & Panasonic. And while the R5c is great in many ways, it's undeniable trash when it comes to battery optimization in the video OS. It's a step backwards in many ways for shooter like myself who have no interest in rigging it with an external battery solution.
Thanks for clarifying your position.... Canon offers a few options for you whether R5C or R7 or even Sony/Fuji/Panasonic. What incentive is there for Canon to provide >30min recording length when they would like you to buy another piece of hardware?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The target market doesn't care. The quality with RAW can be really close to a RED with similar battery life for a lot less money and with AF and better low-light thrown in for good measure in a gimbal-friendly package. Even without Canon Log 2, it's really the camera where they chose to give the most amount of high-end features for the least amount of money. (Opposite to what they did with the 1DC.)

They might not be addressing the masses needs as of now (maybe in the next generation, as I don't expect lower-end full-frame EOS R model to be unrestricted for video), but that's not what the future holds for cameras, and the RF lens line-up is already set up for this environment. They will cost more to manufacture, they will sell even less than they sell now, therefore they will be more expensive.

Upvote 0
It’s not a card, battery or settings issue. I’ve updated the R5 and R3 to incorporate the previous “fixes.” The freezes are less frequent but they do occur. I’m reconciled to just accepting that we will have to wait until the Mark II versions. Maybe by then Canon will have it figured out. If you’ve never experienced it count yourself lucky.
It sounds like you got pretty unlucky getting both an R5 and R3 with freezing issues, I hope they work it out and fix the current versions before releasing the mark II. My 700D has only frozen about 2 or 3 times in 8 years, my M5, 90D and other Canon point and shoots have never frozen yet.

Upvote 0
Only owned the R3 for a month is so, and I haven't seen battery drain either. I had an event on Saturday where the EVF turned off due to timeout and I could get the body to turn back on again. Flipped both the on/lock/off button and then removed/reinstalled the battery, and then it worked again. It was while waiting for the next diver (Red Bull Cliff Diving in Copenhagen), so no shot opportunities were lost.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
As not everyone is experiencing freezes, it can’t be a generic R3/R5/R6 issue either. It could be that some batches are faulty. Also, I speculate that battery life is variable. Pasteur famously said luck favours the well-prepared mind. But, another famous scientist, Emil Fisher, would ask his prospective assistants at interview whether they were lucky people. Both Pasteur and Fisher had insight!

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
I would like them for stills shooting. I often shoot in contrasty lighting and want to expose to the right without clipping. I have never been able to put the histogram on the EVF screen for some reason and it was getting pretty crowded in any case.
Yeah I somewhat was getting used to not having them but after getting the Fuji the pain started all over again for not having them…

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I always use "EOS Utility" for that. No card-fiddling necessary (but connected via USB, not wireless).
I’ve always used a memory card to update the camera and lens firmware when needed.

Does the camera function normally when connected to a USB-C port on a computer? With USB-A, the power was probably not enough to make current cameras (which can be charged via their USB-C port) think you were trying to charge it. But USB-C outputs 15 W, which is about the same as what comes from the overpriced canon USB-C charger. When the camera is being charged via it’s USB Seaport, it cannot be used (but perhaps EOS utility still works?).

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2020
Then it is something in the settings. Most likely back button focusing. I have no issues with R5 (2 years) or R3 and when a friend of mine that had freezing issues on R5 loaded my settings into his the issues stopped. He was using BBF and I am not.

Upvote 0