Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 to receive new firmware next week

Thanks for clarifying your position.... Canon offers a few options for you whether R5C or R7 or even Sony/Fuji/Panasonic. What incentive is there for Canon to provide >30min recording length when they would like you to buy another piece of hardware?
Can I ask if you personally shoot video? There's a lot of middle ground between the R7 and R5c. Canon could make $2500 off me if the R6 didn't have a record limit. But as it stands they may only get $1,500 in exchange for an R7. They're leaving money on the table not competing in the ~3k full-frame video segment.

Upvote 0
Interesting, but I recently decided to downgrade my firmware as I strongly believe the image quality was higher with the old firmware. I've shot over 50 weddings on my R5 and I noticed a drop off over time, especially on the most recent firmware. Seems the images are a lot noisier than they were initially. It used to be possible to shoot at 25,600 ISO, but with the latest firmware 25,600 ISO was looking UGLY. It may not be the cameras fault though, it's hard to tell. Might be a collab between Canon and Adobe to make nasty files. Here's the thing, look at the back of the camera at 40,000 ISO and the images look amazing, even zoomed in. But as soon as I open the RAWs in photoshop... it looks bad, nearly iPhone level. For the $4,000+ I paid I don't see the point in owning and using this camera if it isn't going to produce a better image than an iPhone. I didn't think this when I first got it, but as of now I'm feeling disturbed by what I'm seeing from my R5.
Hi, just remember, that temperature is a key factor, too, for noisy images (at the moment we have 35-38°C here in Switzerland) and on the back side of the camera a JPG is displayed. I believe, Canon does apply noise reduction to their in camera generated jpg-files.
Cheers!

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Interesting, but I recently decided to downgrade my firmware as I strongly believe the image quality was higher with the old firmware. I've shot over 50 weddings on my R5 and I noticed a drop off over time, especially on the most recent firmware. Seems the images are a lot noisier than they were initially. It used to be possible to shoot at 25,600 ISO, but with the latest firmware 25,600 ISO was looking UGLY. It may not be the cameras fault though, it's hard to tell. Might be a collab between Canon and Adobe to make nasty files. Here's the thing, look at the back of the camera at 40,000 ISO and the images look amazing, even zoomed in. But as soon as I open the RAWs in photoshop... it looks bad, nearly iPhone level. For the $4,000+ I paid I don't see the point in owning and using this camera if it isn't going to produce a better image than an iPhone. I didn't think this when I first got it, but as of now I'm feeling disturbed by what I'm seeing from my R5.
Lots of comments on the Facebook R7 groups that converting RAW files in Adobe is creating MUCH more noise. Have you converted the files in DPP or any other software?

Upvote 0
Can I ask if you personally shoot video? There's a lot of middle ground between the R7 and R5c. Canon could make $2500 off me if the R6 didn't have a record limit. But as it stands they may only get $1,500 in exchange for an R7. They're leaving money on the table not competing in the ~3k full-frame video segment.
I do shoot some video but am primarily a stills shooter. I agree with you that there are gaps and that the 30 minute limit is artificial and previously blamed the EU import duty tax issue. There is no current reason I can think of to not remove it unless Canon wants to push us to their cinema range as was the case in the past. The R10/7 shows that they are changing their mind but the R5/R5C seems to be an obvious primarily stills vs primarily video market segmentation. The R5C still presents an amazing option for raw recording... but as you say, you need to rig it up with external power, recording to get all the features.
The R6 is a different story though.

Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
It starts to look like something Canon may use to force people to upgrade. Is Canon going to provide firmware for new lenses released 10 years from now? That would be quite a list of cameras to have to support. The R5, R3, R1 might be safe bets, but anything below that is probably going to end up unsupported within 5 years. The cinema cameras will probably get updates too but at some point its all going to run out. Personally I don't get a 24mm with 11% distortion. I'm guessing it will have similar image quality in the corners compared to the 24-240mm at 24mm. Why a prime 24mm needs to have that amount of distortion is confusing to be sure. Perhaps Canon has simply lost the plot. Time to switch to Nikon?
I highly doubt that entire scenario. Canon built up their loyal customer base because of the lens library. Releasing an RF mount lens means its going to work on R bodies. Full stop.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

snapshot

5d2,5d4,r5
CR Pro
Jul 24, 2020
It starts to look like something Canon may use to force people to upgrade. Is Canon going to provide firmware for new lenses released 10 years from now? That would be quite a list of cameras to have to support. The R5, R3, R1 might be safe bets, but anything below that is probably going to end up unsupported within 5 years. The cinema cameras will probably get updates too but at some point its all going to run out. Personally I don't get a 24mm with 11% distortion. I'm guessing it will have similar image quality in the corners compared to the 24-240mm at 24mm. Why a prime 24mm needs to have that amount of distortion is confusing to be sure. Perhaps Canon has simply lost the plot. Time to switch to Nikon?
Nikon has great stuff, but I have been pleased with the RF24-240 as a hiking/travel lens. Lots of usable results. I have no immediate plans to switch.

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
I’ve always used a memory card to update the camera and lens firmware when needed.

Does the camera function normally when connected to a USB-C port on a computer? With USB-A, the power was probably not enough to make current cameras (which can be charged via their USB-C port) think you were trying to charge it. But USB-C outputs 15 W, which is about the same as what comes from the overpriced canon USB-C charger. When the camera is being charged via it’s USB Seaport, it cannot be used (but perhaps EOS utility still works?).
I can only use USB-A for that because my main computer doesn't have USB-C yet, but I strongly assume that this will not make any difference.

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
I use D(double)BBF and never had a freeze once.
I use triple BBF (have 3 buttons assigned to various AF areas) and didn't have any freezes since the launch until up to one month ago. Then I got one out of the blue, for the first time. Luckily, I've previously had some Err 60 freezes with my RF 70-200 2.8, so I knew to immediately pull the battery, put it back in and my R5 came back to life, saving the photo op. So I'm in the camp of "these random freezes do occur", but luckily they've been rare for me [knocks on wood].

Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The R5 was released back in July 2020, and is already very highly specified, so I'm quite surprised that it's getting another firmware update. Most of the bugs have already been fixed, but I hope that more has been discovered that will enable the occasional freezes and IBIS issues to be eliminated.

It would also be nice to have the AF upgraded to enable eye-AF to be initiated within AF zone areas, as happens with the R3 and R7. Even nicer, would be the option to bracket exposures and choose slower burst speeds with electronic shutter.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The R5 was released back in July 2020, and is already very highly specified, so I'm quite surprised that it's getting another firmware update. Most of the bugs have already been fixed, but I hope that more has been discovered that will enable the occasional freezes and IBIS issues to be eliminated.

It would also be nice to have the AF upgraded to enable eye-AF to be initiated within AF zone areas, as happens with the R3 and R7. Even nicer, would be the option to bracket exposures and choose slower burst speeds with electronic shutter.
My guess: its just an improvement for IBIS and AF with the recently released new RF lenses.

But one can hope :) I hope for more HDMI out settings: it would be good to be able to apply the view assist to HDMI.
Also, most important: when using an external monitor it takes ages to switch between record and review mode. That should be fixed.
:)

Upvote 0
Update out in the italian site of canon: R5
https://www.canon.it/support/consum...cameras/digital_slr/eos-r5.html?type=firmware
R6

R3
https://www.canon.it/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-r3.html?type=firmware
(translated)
Firmware version (R5/R6) 1.6.0 includes the following improvements and fixes.
1. Adds the [Auto Power Off Temp.: Standard/High/Off] option to the movie recording menu. By selecting the [High/High] option, the camera will not automatically turn off when the temperature of the camera body and card increases, which may allow you to record longer movies than before, depending on the shooting conditions. Note that doing so may increase the temperature of the camera's bottom surface.
2. Adds the ability to convert multiple HEIF images into multiple JPEG images.
3. Improves the performance of the "Movie Digital IS" feature. Stabilizes the image when taking selfies or taking moving shots using a wide-angle lens.
4. Corrects minor problems.

Firmware version (R3) 1.2.0 includes the following improvements and fixes:
1. Adds the ability to set the "Custom Continuous Shot" feature in the drive mode. You can shoot a sequence between 2 and 50 continuous shots at a speed between 30 and 195 fps.
2. Adds the possibility of selecting the "FHD 239.76 fps/200.00 fps" option under "High frame rate".
3- Adds the ability to choose the "Depth composition" option in the camera during "Focus bracketing".
2- Adds focus bracketing and depth composition with a flash (Speedlite El-1).
4. Adds the ability to record time-lapse movies. Note: The time-lapse movie setting is retained even if the camera enters the auto power off state before starting time-lapse movie recording.
5. Adds RAW image processing functionality in the cloud. RAW processing with the latest image processing technology is possible. This is a paid service that requires the purchase of Canon Imaging App Service Plan available starting July 25, 2022.
6. Adds the ability to convert multiple HEIF images to multiple JPEG images.
7. Adds the ability to set the [Still Image Crop/Aspect/Crop Still Image] option to [Custom Controls/Custom Controls]. The assigned button can be used to toggle between crop and aspect ratio.
8. Adds the ability to crop and resize images when transferring to an FTP server.
9. 802.1X/WPA2-Enterprise authentication now supports PKCS#12 certificate format.
10. Adds a shutter sound for the electronic shutter to play when the first mechanical or electronic shutter curtain is set.
11. Improves the performance of the "Movie Digital IS" feature. Stabilizes the image when taking selfies or taking moving shots using a wide-angle lens.
12. Adds the [Auto Power Off Temp.: Standard/High/Outo Power Off Temp.: Standard/High] option to the shooting menu.
13. Fixes a problem showing error code 70 on the camera, which can occur in rare cases when the [Disp. performance/Display performance] option is set to [Smooth/Fluid].
14. Corrects minor problems.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Firmware version (R5/R6) 1.6.0 includes the following improvements and fixes.
1. Adds the [Auto Power Off Temp.: Standard/High/Off] option to the movie recording menu. By selecting the [High/High] option, the camera will not automatically turn off when the temperature of the camera body and card increases, which may allow you to record longer movies than before, depending on the shooting conditions. Note that doing so may increase the temperature of the camera's bottom surface.
2. Adds the ability to convert multiple HEIF images into multiple JPEG images.
3. Improves the performance of the "Movie Digital IS" feature. Stabilizes the image when taking selfies or taking moving shots using a wide-angle lens.
4. Corrects minor problems.
As expected, nothing there of much value to photographers.

A pity that Canon didn't add a few features and/or improvements for us, but these will undoubtedly eventually appear in the "R5 Mkii",

....... and then we'll have to wait for the R5 Mkii bugs to be fixed ;)

Regarding "corrects minor problems", I'll bet that there will still be lots of people having issues with freezing/lockups.

Last edited:
Upvote 0