Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lens SKU and kit information

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Interesting. I tried it 4 years ago when purchased 5DIV to check dual pixel raw, and never run it again :) All my catalogs are in LR, so using DPP would mean just an additional step in processing.
Will be preordering the R5 unless it's too expensive or doesn't have the expected megapixel count...
Of course, I didn't mean to change your workflow, that would be crazy.
Just to play with the new raw files while waiting for Adobe support. Don't tell me you'll get your new toy and keep it in a closet or just shooting jpeg's until Adobe supports it!:)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I found an 'R6 kit' on Aliexpress. Unfortunately the specs are totally off and don't match rumours. Also It's Yamaha R6 Kit, not Canon. But does the brand matter? The price is so tempting.

Whew...I'd be hesitant to buy something that $$ from a Chinese site like Aliexpress....you don't really know who your dealing with, how real the products are, nor sure how much recourse you might have if you don't like what you get and need to return it for refund....

:O

That's just my $0.02....

C

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Of course, I didn't mean to change your workflow, that would be crazy.
Just to play with the new raw files while waiting for Adobe support. Don't tell me you'll get your new toy and keep it in a closet or just shooting jpeg's until Adobe supports it!:)
jpeg? never!
But you made me think of my workflow and I've just realised I spend 50/50 of my photography time in the field and in LR/PS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
wondering if they'll throw in things like CF readers or EF adapters
The EF adapter is just as essential now as it was with the R and RP, and the R5 will sell strongly to people (like myself) who are moving into the RF ecosystem for the first time. Surely Canon will continue to bundle the basic version. However the first thing I will have to do is get hold of a control ring adapter, which presumably won't be bundled.

I don't think there's a cat's chance of a CFExpress reader being bundled until the early adopters have been suitably fleeced and a bit of competition sets in.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
I suddenly realised the new cameras may not be immediately supported by Adobe. I wonder what happens with the raw files in PS and Lightroom.

Well they're both likely to use CR3 format so they'll already be usable in most commercial and much open source software. In general RAW converters don't need to be updated for specific bodies.

The real issue is lens correction profiles for all these new ones particularly if the non-L lenses exhibit Canon's recent trend towards dodgy optics corrected heavily by software.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
Well they're both likely to use CR3 format so they'll already be usable in most commercial and much open source software. In general RAW converters don't need to be updated for specific bodies.

The real issue is lens correction profiles for all these new ones particularly if the non-L lenses exhibit Canon's recent trend towards dodgy optics corrected heavily by software.
The CR3 file format used by the 1DX Mark III is still not supported by the latest MacOS:
Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13, and macOS Catalina

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
In general RAW converters don't need to be updated for specific bodies.

Usually they do. Unless Canon has created a new universal RAW format with CR3, they are still camera specific. At least that is how it has always been for CR2 format and most other RAW formats (Maybe there's a few exceptions with cameras using the exact same sensor?).

EDIT: For example latest April-update of Camera Raw added support Canon EOS 850D, Leica S3, Nikon D6 and Samsung Galaxy S20/S20+ cameras:

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
I am hoping the R5 comes with the EF adapter as I have a good selection of L glass and not ready to upgrade that yet.

Would it really make any difference buying it separately for $100 over the price of the body being inflated by $100? I'm partially going back to Canon after a very brief stint with Nikon, and I'll be getting all RF glass. I'd rather the body price to be lower than getting a $100 adapter that would be completely useless to me, since I already sold all my EF glass.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015

Which recent Canon lens has "dodgy optics"??

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Which recent Canon lens has "dodgy optics"??
The RF 24-240mm does not cover the FF image circle at 24mm. To compensate, the lens correction profile applies a slight crop to the image. It is a completely new approach to ILC lens design for Canon, but I would agree that calling it "dodgy" is a bit over the top.

Upvote 0
No!! :D The RF 1x4 and 2x is for use with EF lenses! So you can use a 1.4 and 2x extender without the need of also the adapter! It´s actually very clever from Canon! So now we can use our telephoto lenses with an extender, without the need of the extra adapter!

EDIT: Well the rumor I´ve heard was that the new RF extenders would be RF-EF. If I am wrong there is no point in getting now. If someone has some info please help on this one

Sorry that’s wrong.
The new teleconverters being released are native RF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AdmiralFwiffo

Terrible photographer
Feb 17, 2020
I found an 'R6 kit' on Aliexpress. Unfortunately the specs are totally off and don't match rumours. Also It's Yamaha R6 Kit, not Canon. But does the brand matter? The price is so tempting.
There is so much counterfeit stuff on Aliexpress, I can't believe it hasn't been shut down. There are sellers of counterfeit US coins, the sale of which carries the same legal penalties as passing any other counterfeit money.

I'm sorta hoping the R6 is a fit for me, cause the R5 is definitely overkill. But since I'm upgrading from a 12 year old, 18 MP Rebel, a 20 MP full-frame camera feels very sad-trombone. It's probably irrational, but I don't want to feel sad-trombone.

Upvote 0