Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lens SKU and kit information

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I traded in my 100mm non-L last year for the L version. I haven't regretted it. I was also surprised at the amount of money I got for it, more than half of what I paid for it 13 years earlier!
The big difference is smoother AF and having IS, I can't really spot any difference in IQ.

I've pretty much got the camera with the 100mm nailed in place, so IS is a non-issue. However, it's good to know that if the 100mm ever breaks and I can't find the non-L version, I can move up if need be.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I traded in my 100mm non-L last year for the L version. I haven't regretted it. I was also surprised at the amount of money I got for it, more than half of what I paid for it 13 years earlier!
The big difference is smoother AF and having IS, I can't really spot any difference in IQ.
Shooting macro, I focus manually and almost always use a tripod, so AF is not an issue, and IS wouldn't be of much use. When I do handhold macro shots, the shutter speed needs to be fast enough to stop the moving critter. I'm glad that the IQ is as good. That was the impression I had from reading reviews. At the time I bought it, my choice from was a financial one, between buying it or not buying it, not between it and the more expensive version. Like SteveC, if I ever had to replace it, I'd consider the L version.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
There's nothing in the OP about prices.
There is actually.. indeed :)
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...ens-sku-and-kit-information.38664/post-837874

the OP was suggesting that Canon F11 telephoto primes should not cost over $1000. here:

"... Keep in mind that these new Tele lenses are STM and f/11. The most expensive STM lens I am aware of costs less than 500$ on Amazon (the EF-M 18-150mm) and is expensive compared to many of the other STM lenses. Personally, I can't see these primes costing over 1000$. If they do,...."

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
There is actually.. indeed :)
https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...ens-sku-and-kit-information.38664/post-837874

the OP was suggesting that Canon F11 telephoto primes should not cost over $1000. here:

"... Keep in mind that these new Tele lenses are STM and f/11. The most expensive STM lens I am aware of costs less than 500$ on Amazon (the EF-M 18-150mm) and is expensive compared to many of the other STM lenses. Personally, I can't see these primes costing over 1000$. If they do,...."

That's post #189 in this thread, not post #1.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Who suggested Canon was going to sell it for under $1K? I do think it will be well less than $2K.
Well, that was me, as you already pointed out.

I could see them costing over 1k as well, but if they do, this seems like a weird move from Canon to me. I think the STM makes no sense in that case. I mean, how much does going from STM to one of the modern USM types cost? And is that increase really enough to push the price over the threshold acceptable for the consumer?

These lenses are very interesting. I am very excited about the upcoming announcements. I am not sure if I will purchase any of them in the foreseeable future, but I hope they'll also provide some insight into Canon's long term intentions regarding the RF and EF-M system.

Upvote 0