Canon EOS R5, Canon EOS R6 and new lens SKU and kit information

Sorry that’s wrong.
The new teleconverters being released are native RF.
I haven't seen any confirmation that the TCs are RF-RF. It makes a lot of sense them to be RF-EF to avoid stacked adaptors for RF-EF plus EF TC 1.4 or 2x to use current EF big whites.
If the new TCs are RF-RF then it is somewhat confusing for the aperture for the new RF "big black" (I claim copyright for this one!) lenses
A previous thread outlines the valid use cases for 600/800 f11 new lens but it is less convincing when combined with the TCs if they are RF-RF
Canon RF 100-500mm f/4-7.1L IS USM -> 700mm @f10 (1.4x) and 1000mm @ ~f14 (2x)
Canon RF 600mm f/11 DO IS STM -> 840mm @f16 (1.4x) and 1200mm @ f22 (2x)
Canon RF 800mm f/11 DO IS STM -> 1120mm @f16 (1.4x) and 1600mm @ f22 (2x)
I imagine that Canon would prefer people buy all three lenses rather than use any of them with TCs. It isn't clear if AF would work wide-open @f22!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It depends, right? If they are stabilized with Dual OIS maybe they will work just fine in those conditions. They will be very interesting optics to say the least. I love the thought of having a tiny supertele prime for those times when I don't feel like using my monster 500 f/4.
Yeah, absolutely. These really are the most interesting lenses out of the bunch just because they are such a strong deviation from what we came to expect from Canon based in DSLR tech.

I was more or less trying to write that as a joke. But I don't think Canon intends for these lenses to be suited to bad weather photography. Keeping in mind that the only body where you're not past the diffraction limit with these is the R6, which very much appears to be a non weather sealed budget body as well, I find that reasonable.

Upvote 0

joestopper

Rrr...
Feb 4, 2020
The specs of the new RF tele primes and zooms, f/7.1 only @ 500mm and dark f/11 @ 600mm and 800mm show that Canon boldly trusts the low light capabilities of their new sensors, plus the AF performance of the R5/6. So, if you use a fast tele prime you should be able to shoot in the darkness... very interesting.

Sounds reasonable. So, give me the fast RF tele prime ...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2020
I heard that they gave the basic adapter with the Eos R back then? is that true?
Yes it did...BUT at that time there were only a few lenses available and they were expensive as hell. That was an immense deterrent for people to jump to the new RF cameras so they threw the adapter in for free. Now there are dozens of RF lenses and many are more affordable. The R system has been out for like 2 yrs now. The demand for the R5 is going to be so great I could see them....with all that taken into consideration...NOT giving the adapter away. Canon I dont think even provided EOS R/Lens bundle deals at first???....and now they will with the R5/6. I could see third-party sellers offering the R5/6 with a free EF adapter though if Canon does not..

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Does anyone have a guess what the kit discount will be to get the R5 kit with RF 24-105 f4 vs getting them separately? :unsure: I've seen that it's been around $200 US for the R kit, but I don't know if that's what it would be for the new R5 kit.
In my experience in recent years the "discount" for a kit has been fairly minimal. $200 might be the maximum, but I would not be surprised to see it much less. In my opinion, Canon quit giving big discounts on kits because so many dealers will splitting them up and selling the components separately on eBay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
That's a serious shopping list. My preorder list

Mine's a little shorter.
The good news is the majority is “sunk cost” from gear I have already sold or plan to sell. I sold my 5dIV and 70-200 f2.8 L IS II last year for a good price. I have some other gear that will go if I like the R5 and lenses.

Upvote 0
Apart from the product pages on the official Canon website?
You mean when Canon stated
"EXTENDER RF 1.4x
Add extra length to your lenses by fitting the EXTENDER RF 1.4x extender."?
Clearly one end is fitting the RF mount but it is unclear whether this is RF-EF or RF-RF. Appreciate if you can point to where this is clarified.
Please share examples of use cases for f14-f22 for super tele focal lengths. Perhaps tracked deep sky astro long exposures but this would be highly specific and doesn't seem to match the lens roadmap as the others eg 70-200 f2.8 has a rear element that is too close for the TC to fit.

Upvote 0
What will we do with a 600/800 F/11 lens :unsure::unsure:
On top of it, Canon is also launching 1.4x & 2X entenders :unsure: :unsure: :eek::eek::oops::rolleyes:

Also confused why 100-500 'L' is f/4-7.1

Where is Canon heading ??? :unsure: :unsure:
Iso invariance up to 1600. Your F11 suddenly has a lot of uses. Plus less weight, cheaper telephotos=> more sales, plus mobile like image processing will blow things out of the water.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The RF 24-240mm does not cover the FF image circle at 24mm. To compensate, the lens correction profile applies a slight crop to the image. It is a completely new approach to ILC lens design for Canon, but I would agree that calling it "dodgy" is a bit over the top.
Its not "dodgy" but its not what you expect either. Its an "OK" lens that's fine if you want a walk around lens where the output in not too important. They don't go out of their way to explain the compromises either.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
KP, I've been thinking about this. It might be a simpler answer than people are supposing. It is true that landscape photographers eventually figure out that using something 100 to 600 in focal length can pick out amazing compositions that would never be possible in their typically wide images. It's usually the 2nd or 3rd piece of advice they'd give people starting out: don't forget to try a telephoto to experiment with distant compositions.

The thing is, if you are the proud owner of an $800 RP camera and a $400 lens, it's a big ask to tell them they should purchase something for $2,000 to $13,000 for the privilege of doing this. Perhaps Canon thinks it can sell a $1,200 telephoto to the landscape crowd.

The other application I can think of is kids sports. Johnny is in goal on the other side of the field. ISO 32,000 is fine when the picture is on facebook.
Ive been a Landscape photographer for 45 years and lucky to shoot in many countries. 60% of the time Im either using a 24-70mm F2.8L II or 24-105mm L lenses (both EF & RF), 20% of the time Im using a 16-35mm f4L, 10% the 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 but rarely with the 1.4x converter. The other 10% is made up of fixed primes including the 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 85mm 1.4L or the 100mm f2.8L.
One of the business units I oversee is Lee Filters and quite a few of the Pros that use our gear use zooms in the 100-400 or 150-600 range.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0