Canon EOS R5 down to $3399 (Reg $3899)

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Maybe the R5II will be 24 MP. :p

But in fairness, a question was posed by @AccipiterQ, "Why would you get an R6 when you already have an R5?"
Ok. It just beats me why people justify or question why they or others want a particular resolution when it’s so obvious.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I really hope for that - my bank account doesn't (but not for an R5) ;)
Guess I'll wait for the R5 II (and for HUGE discounts on the R5). Provided my bank account doesn't interfere with my GAS. :confused:
Edit: Unless the "Summer Promotion" offers a dirt cheap RF 100 macro (Nemorino convinced me!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
The Canon EOS R5 launched in 2020 for $3899, and then the planet decided it should cost more and we saw cost increases on the body. It looks like things have normalized and we’re starting to see the usual price drops on Canon cameras as they reach the second half of the life cycle. There

See full article...
I doubt that specificlly the last part: ''The Nikon Z 8 may change that shortly". Have you checked this nice article? Based on its specs and new features IMHO - even with Z8 on the market aside from the fact that their CMOS would be stacked - nothing so "pushy" for Canon to release R5M2 any time soon :-(

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

yankiefrankie

CR Pro
Sep 10, 2020
I'm not opposed to having more MP, but it's not a major decision driver for me. I prefer integrated grip bodies for ergonomics, which I why the 1D X remained my primary camera until the R3 came out, even though I had the EOS R. With current Canon bodies, AF performance is no longer a big differentiator (yes, the R3 has a slight edge over the others for fast action but the differential is nowhere near what it was a few years ago). I'm quite happy with the 24 MP sensors in my R3 and R8.
I had an R5 that I preordered and arrived on Day-1. I eventually sold it after I picked up a mint R3 on Ebay that a guy was selling for $4800. After using the R3 for a week, I never wanted to use the R5 anymore. Primarily I shoot kids sports, and the R3 excels at this. The 24mp images are more than enough for me. I also picked up an R8. It is a perfect companion for the R3 when I want to use two different lenses, or if I just want to carry a smaller body. I'm loving the prebuffer shooting on the R8. It works exceptionally well for baseball and getting the ball on the bat. In this regard it is superior to the R3. I REALLY REALLY hope that feature makes it to the R3 via firmware...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I had an R5 that I preordered and arrived on Day-1. I eventually sold it after I picked up a mint R3 on Ebay that a guy was selling for $4800. After using the R3 for a week, I never wanted to use the R5 anymore. Primarily I shoot kids sports, and the R3 excels at this. The 24mp images are more than enough for me. I also picked up an R8. It is a perfect companion for the R3 when I want to use two different lenses, or if I just want to carry a smaller body. I'm loving the prebuffer shooting on the R8. It works exceptionally well for baseball and getting the ball on the bat. In this regard it is superior to the R3. I REALLY REALLY hope that feature makes it to the R3 via firmware...
For everyday use, the R3 will remain my go-to for the ergonomics and performance. For me, the R8 will be a travel camera – FF sensor in a very small/light package, if I bring the M6II on the trip (or one of my kids does), shared batteries. I'll generally be shooting with mechanical shutter for the full bit depth, since I won't need the speed.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The R5 is very capable but the competition has passed it by. Canon needs to be more aggressive in releasing new top-end
products. imho
I'd rather that they were "more aggressive" in pricing, and "more aggressive" in releasing lenses.

I don't regard cameras such as the Sony A1, Nikon Z9 or the upcoming Z8 as being superior to the R5, or of "passing it by". They are alternatives, better in some ways, inferior in others. Overall, I still consider the R5 to be the "best" FF camera on the market, even 2 years after launch.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'd rather that they were "more aggressive" in pricing, and "more aggressive" in releasing lenses.

I don't regard cameras such as the Sony A1, Nikon Z9 or the upcoming Z8 as being superior to the R5, or of "passing it by". They are alternatives, better in some ways, inferior in others. Overall, I still consider the R5 to be the "best" FF camera on the market, even 2 years after launch.
Yes, but you're not a troll.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 9.20.53 AM.png

Upvote 0
This is a thread about the R5 so why bother to say you don’t need its resolution? It’s irrelevant
I responded to a comment asking why would one choose R6 over R5 for motor sports photography. R5 would be my camera if I shot lower number of photos. I typically bring 2 500 to 5 000 files from big events. High resolution is a disadvantage for such line of work. The few shots that do need super resolution can get enhanced in Lightroom.
Shooting in studio or session photography etc - R5 is a killer.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0