Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

Alan B

1DX Mark III
Feb 2, 2021
Bit of info on the "Press release" section on Canon UK - https://www.canon.co.uk/press-centr...professional-cameras-to-streamline-workflows/

Quote(at the end) Canon will continue its commitment to photographers and videographers through further plans to bring new functionality to these three models based on user feedback, including bringing Canon Log 3 to the EOS R6 and EOS-1D X Mark III in a future update.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Why does Canon hate still photographers? Still no zebras, improved button functionality, or variable ES FPS.
Zebras are a video feature. I've often wondered why we don't see it available for still images but this is something I have yet to see myself. Blinkies would be the stills equivalent I guess though, unlike zebras, the threshold(s) are not adjustable.

Upvote 0
Welcome update for both R5 and R6 and also the 1DXIII, the sign that Canon is listening, still there are missing some important and relatively easy updates that should not exist anymore, especially because some competitor cameras don't have any.

- NO more artificial 30 min. video record limit, this is ridiculous; A video should stop recording only when there is no space in the memory cards, or the battery is empty, or the infamous overheating is reached, that's it, 30 minute limit is unnecessary and limiting in many situations, no excuses here.

- Sometimes, especially with EF lenses, enabling only IBIS or just Optical IS could be better than the combined IS + IBIS, just add a menu option that let the user decide what kind of image stabilization is required, Optical, mechanical or electronic in any combination, it's not a point and shoot camera, users should be able to fine tune the camera behavior at the most fine level.

- Add audio to 120FPS recordings and let the user chose at which frame rate the video should be played, don't impose 30fps, it should also be played at native 120fps or 24fps, 60fps etc ...

- Simultaneous video recording on both cards for any video mode and in any combination, except for the obvious speed limits of the SD card, where lower bit rate simultaneous recording should be anyway always being possible, not just during 8K RAW video.

- as a bonus, continue to improve over remaining overheating issues

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
On USA.Canon cannot find firmware upgrade to 100-500. Each time I try get there I wind up with the Canon store trying to sell me another one. While it is a wonderful lens, even at the great price I got, one is enough. Anyone find a path to upgrade the 100-500 firmware?
If you don't mind sharing, where and how did you get a great price on the 100-500, Steve?

Upvote 0

1D4

Jun 5, 2020
On USA.Canon cannot find firmware upgrade to 100-500. Each time I try get there I wind up with the Canon store trying to sell me another one. While it is a wonderful lens, even at the great price I got, one is enough. Anyone find a path to upgrade the 100-500 firmware?

Upvote 0
That is an international standards issue not limited to Canon.
I agree, but it wouldn’t be onerous to overlay lfn alongside dcf. Heck even a simple text file would suffice... Maintain standards but offer user friendlInes or better still overhaul something which is a little outdated.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I found it in the Red menu, tab 7, bottom item "Shooting info. disp.", then Screen info. settings, option 6 at the bottom of that menu is "Screen Off". Once you enable option 6 you have to cycle through the settings with the Info button to get the LCD to turn off.
oh unexpected bonus.. wondered what that was and it addresses something I was puzzled as heck to achieve when I first got R5.. .I had to custom program a button to use only eye display... now I can get that button back.

there are definitely times I want to turn the back lcd off for pics, esp in quiet, dark venues, that and the power savings possibly. neat you can use it as an option to cycle by changing pressing the info button.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
what is full time electronic mf?
It means moving the focus ring will always change focus, seems obvious but with focus by wire it isn’t. Traditionally the manual focus ring is deactivated while the camera is trying to achieve AF and on some cameras needs a custom setting to activate MF even after focus has been achieved, like if the camera focused on the wrong part of the subject.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0