Canon EOS R5, EOS R6, EOS-1D X Mark III, RF 70-200 f/2.8L IS & RF 100-500 f/4.5-5.6L IS firmware released

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
First off that is simply another rumor from a single youtuber. Nothing written in stone.

Second, this was CR3 which is basically fact.
"I can count the number of times this source has been wrong on one finger". Well, seems like this time it was a big
middle finger.

Third, later date could mean 2 months from now, 4 months from now, 6 months from now, or not at all. Not gonna hold my breath with the A7IV on the horizon, and who knows what else.

I do feel really bad for those who have an R6 or 1DX-3 and truly bought the rumor of it coming in this FW update.

A good rule of thumb is that if it isn't written on the outside of the box or in the owner's manual when you buy the camera then anything beyond actual bug fixes is gravy.

Lots of folks seem to think they are entitled to certain upgrades based on what other models offer and I've never understood that mindset. I've never bought a house with the hope that one day the contractor will come back and add two rooms for me at no extra cost. I've never bought a car without a navigation system and then complained that the manufacturer didn't give me the download for free later on down the road. It's truly mind-boggling.

Pro-tip: make sure you educate yourself about the camera you're buying and make sure it has the features you have to have right out of the box and 9 times out of ten you won't be disappointed. Wishing and hoping for things down the road is a recipe for disappointment regardless of the brand you choose.

Based on your post history, I think a Sony camera with a emphasis on video would be a better fit for you.

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
anyone else have trouble updating the lens firmware for rf70-200. Seems like the actual file name might be wrong... it implies its for a 24-110. r5 firmware update worked fine but the camera does not recognize the lens firmware update file on either card.
I did not have any issues updating my 70-200 but that is interesting I see the file name in the zip (rf7020028-v110-win) is RF024110.afu

70-200 Firmware.jpg

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
It means moving the focus ring will always change focus, seems obvious but with focus by wire it isn’t. Traditionally the manual focus ring is deactivated while the camera is trying to achieve AF and on some cameras needs a custom setting to activate MF even after focus has been achieved, like if the camera focused on the wrong part of the subject.
interesting.. hadn't run into issues, but makes sense.

would be neat if they could show the manual focus assist when 10x digital zoom. I get you should be able to see it at that magnification, but still could help :)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Messed around with the new Firmware last night and came up with a few things:

The Good:
  • I really like CLOG 3 after just applying a simple Canon LUT
    • Color seems more natural over CLOG :unsure:
  • Really like the Full time MF - Handy when the Camera really wants to focus on the background to "wake it up"
The Odd:
  • Found a bug with the RF 50 1.8 in video mode
    • When the lens is set to MF and the user shuts the camera on and off the MF point is stuck in the top left corner.
  • Does not seem like the lower bit rate IPB(light) gives me any longer record times before thermal protection.
The Bad:
  • Cannot open Canon RAW Light in Premiere Pro - Just get black footage and an error.

Upvote 0

Mark M

R5, 7D, 50D, 350D, A1, FTb
Jul 29, 2020
Anyone has this error "Frame substitution recursion attempt aborting after multiple attempts on file" while importing Canon R5 8K Raw Light to Premiere Pro?
Not with those files, but with other video shot on the R5. It's a known problem and they ought to have sorted it out by now.
Easy workaround is simply to rename your .mp4 files to .mts. Doing so switches Premiere Pro to a different decoding route, which seems to work.
Having said that, I've now got in the habit of transcoding all my R5 footage to ProRes.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Yes this is actually my favourite update. I have three R5s and can spend an hour before shoots updating all three. This is a real timesaver for me. Thanks Canon.

This will also be good if you ever have to do a reset on the camera. You can go back to what you had, quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2020
Messed around with the new Firmware last night and came up with a few things:

The Good:
  • I really like CLOG 3 after just applying a simple Canon LUT
    • Color seems more natural over CLOG :unsure:
  • Really like the Full time MF - Handy when the Camera really wants to focus on the background to "wake it up"
The Odd:
  • Found a bug with the RF 50 1.8 in video mode
    • When the lens is set to MF and the user shuts the camera on and off the MF point is stuck in the top left corner.
  • Does not seem like the lower bit rate IPB(light) gives me any longer record times before thermal protection.
The Bad:
  • Cannot open Canon RAW Light in Premiere Pro - Just get black footage and an error.
Only a few lens fave the MF fw update. Others are in the works I think.

Upvote 0
On USA.Canon cannot find firmware upgrade to 100-500. Each time I try get there I wind up with the Canon store trying to sell me another one. While it is a wonderful lens, even at the great price I got, one is enough. Anyone find a path to upgrade the 100-500 firmware?

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Not with those files, but with other video shot on the R5. It's a known problem and they ought to have sorted it out by now.
Easy workaround is simply to rename your .mp4 files to .mts. Doing so switches Premiere Pro to a different decoding route, which seems to work.
Having said that, I've now got in the habit of transcoding all my R5 footage to ProRes.
Canon RAW Light file extension is .CRM - I have not found any way to get the RAW light to work in PP so far. Think it will need an update to get this sorted.

Standard RAW files (also .CRM) are working without issues.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
First off that is simply another rumor from a single youtuber. Nothing written in stone.

Second, this was CR3 which is basically fact.
"I can count the number of times this source has been wrong on one finger". Well, seems like this time it was a big
middle finger.

Third, later date could mean 2 months from now, 4 months from now, 6 months from now, or not at all. Not gonna hold my breath with the A7IV on the horizon, and who knows what else.

I do feel really bad for those who have an R6 or 1DX-3 and truly bought the rumor of it coming in this FW update.
It d

Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
On USA.Canon cannot find firmware upgrade to 100-500. Each time I try get there I wind up with the Canon store trying to sell me another one. While it is a wonderful lens, even at the great price I got, one is enough. Anyone find a path to upgrade the 100-500 firmware?

Upvote 0