Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming in the next 24 hours

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
If Canon just fixes the firmware, so that it does not allow the stupid hacks anymore .... and does not eventually address the recording / cooldown limits, you don't what to see the unleashed hell and shitstorm, which is going to follow :)
What does this poster not understand about the fact that Canon still cannot meet all the demand for this camera in spite of the constant whining of the video bloggers??

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
This is what I wrote a while ago, where my resource at Canon told me a firmware would be available around the same day the R6 would be ready to ship out. You cats didn't believe me. Who's laughing now? (like my new avatar? :) )
So creatively original. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Fix overheating issues and Canon will have the BEST camera in the market! Can´t wait for it.

It already is the best for many of our needs. I may be totally surprised, but I doubt new firmware will be a drastic change to the HQ video times. Maybe double or so? There are real thermal challenges in a body this small doing EVF + IBIS + high data rates no matter how many conspiracy theories there are. Maybe a light enough codec can sort it out to close the gap to competition, but I am skeptical.

Personally, I doubt Canon could ever fix enough to quell the mob, and they will still be labeled as some villain. The same youtube crowd of emotional vloggers who keep repeating the same pathetic fallacies, hacks, and amateur hour engineering will never stop ranting or hating now. Even long after they have their Sony or whatever, they will be all over blathering about the "conspiracy" cripple hammer until it stops generating clicks or boosting their ego. I actually own Sony products including their cameras in the past and have noticed a real cult behavior similar to many Apple people surrounding them. Canon makes for the best overall field experience for my needs and is currently really pushing the edge of features and quality, but I use the right tool for the job. No sense holding something to the fire for what it was not designed for.

It would be great if people could be adult and simply point out facts, make their complaint once, and move on and use what works for them. Most likely this controversy will remain for some time as the pent up irrational emotion has momentum now. I hope I'm wrong and it would be great to see the firmware make all these whiners shut it and cry about canceling their pre-orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Prepare for a massive shipment of R5s. I'm betting they have been delayed because their entire stock of cameras had to be re-flashed.

Why would you postpone your sales and risk ppl cancelling their pre-orders, if users can easily apply the firmware update themselves?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
I use my R5 literally every day for anywhere from 5 - 8 hours straight to a Atomos Ninja V. Most days 8/hrs. If they switch off the external recording option... or cripple it, then my R5 gets promptly returned. I’m not even close to joking.
We do this as well. So far I had no overheat even after 90 or 100 minutes in 4k60 (ran it for a test). But the warning still appears very early.
Did the camera so far overheat on you with the atomos and turned off or froze?

Upvote 0
It already is the best for many of our needs. I may be totally surprised, but I doubt new firmware will be a drastic change to the HQ video times. Maybe double or so? There are real thermal challenges in a body this small doing EVF + IBIS + high data rates no matter how many conspiracy theories there are. Maybe a light enough codec can sort it out to close the gap to competition, but I am skeptical.

Personally, I doubt Canon could ever fix enough to quell the mob, and they will still be labeled as some villain. The same youtube crowd of emotional vloggers who keep repeating the same pathetic fallacies, hacks, and amateur hour engineering and will never stop ranting or hating now. Even long after they have their Sony or whatever, they will be all over blathering about the "conspiracy" cripple hammer until it stops generating clicks or boosting their ego. I actually own Sony products including their cameras in the past and have noticed a real cult behavior similar to many Apple people surrounding them. Canon makes for the best overall field experience for my needs and is currently really pushing the edge of features and quality, but I use the right tool for the job. No sense holding something to the fire for what it was not designed for.

It would be great if people could be adult and simply point out facts, make their complaint once, and move on and use what works for them. Most likely this controversy will remain for some time as the pent up irrational emotion has momentum now. I hope I'm wrong and it would be great to see the firmware make all these whiners shut it and cry about canceling their pre-orders.

OMG, will you EVER stop YOUR ranting? LOL

• Haha
Upvote 0

Personally, I doubt Canon could ever fix enough to quell the mob, and they will still be labeled as some villain. The same youtube crowd of emotional vloggers who keep repeating the same pathetic fallacies, hacks, and amateur hour engineering and will never stop ranting or hating now. Even long after they have their Sony or whatever, they will be all over blathering about the "conspiracy" cripple hammer until it stops generating clicks or boosting their ego. I actually own Sony products including their cameras in the past and have noticed a real cult behavior similar to many Apple people surrounding them. Canon makes for the best overall field experience for my needs and is currently really pushing the edge of features and quality, but I use the right tool for the job. No sense holding something to the fire for what it was not designed for.

Well but any improvement is quite welcome. What bugs me more is the camera overheats even without recording. I can accept limit recording times, I can accept camera to overheat but this is almost unusable. We can record externally and overpass HQ 30fps but not 120fps. And boy...image is so gorgeous.
So I kinda agree with you about the histerical youtubers, but I did underestimate the overheating issue. Let me give you an example, last week I was in the field photographing and filming vultures. I started photographing and then pass to video. Even without being in video mode, camera overheated. I could only record about 2 minutes of 4k120fps. Camera overheated so fast!!! That was so F***** frustrating....After that I always record with the atomos but I always struggle with the 120fps.

You are right, the camera is already a beast of a camera and I love it for stills. For video, it´s a love/hate relationship. Love the image quality, love the 4k120fps...but overheating ruins everything....And also...not only overheating, it´s also the recovering times!! Sometimes camera is just cold...but overheating signal still there....

Welll...fingers very crossed, if Canon can adress this issues and improve the times....I will be a very...VERY R5 happy owner!!! :D

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0