Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming in the next 24 hours

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
@Besisika @SteveC from all accounts is a really happy owner and was just trying to soften the blow that @Bert63 has had to deal with while he waits for his R5. @Bert63 I think I would be certifiable if I was in your shoes.

I'm debating ordering the 100-500L + 1.4X but if it releases tomorrow and there aren't enough to go around (again) I'm way late and I'll be doubly pissed.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I use my R5 literally every day for anywhere from 5 - 8 hours straight to a Atomos Ninja V. Most days 8/hrs. If they switch off the external recording option... or cripple it, then my R5 gets promptly returned. I’m not even close to joking.

You ever gonna post the links to the used R5s you were bleating about? Here's me looking very doubtful. I guess you were 'not even close to serious...' Or truthful.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The same youtube crowd of emotional vloggers who keep repeating the same pathetic fallacies, hacks, and amateur hour engineering will never stop ranting or hating now. Even long after they have their Sony or whatever, they will be all over blathering about the "conspiracy" cripple hammer until it stops generating clicks or boosting their ego.
If it is "fixed" according to the mob, I expect EOSHD and the like to take credit for their noble campaign and valiant engineering efforts. :ROFLMAO:

I can't wait to read how Andrew and his band of mindless minions "forced" Canon to "come clean..."

Circle jerk central over there.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Why would you postpone your sales and risk ppl cancelling their pre-orders, if users can easily apply the firmware update themselves?

If people were going to cancel over perceived heating issues that train left the station a long time ago. Unless people are just making threatening noises with no intent but to gladly receive their order when their name reached the top of the ship list.

• Haha
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Well but any improvement is quite welcome. What bugs me more is the camera overheats even without recording. I can accept limit recording times, I can accept camera to overheat but this is almost unusable. We can record externally and overpass HQ 30fps but not 120fps. And boy...image is so gorgeous.
So I kinda agree with you about the histerical youtubers, but I did underestimate the overheating issue. Let me give you an example, last week I was in the field photographing and filming vultures. I started photographing and then pass to video. Even without being in video mode, camera overheated. I could only record about 2 minutes of 4k120fps. Camera overheated so fast!!! That was so F***** frustrating....After that I always record with the atomos but I always struggle with the 120fps.

You are right, the camera is already a beast of a camera and I love it for stills. For video, it´s a love/hate relationship. Love the image quality, love the 4k120fps...but overheating ruins everything....And also...not only overheating, it´s also the recovering times!! Sometimes camera is just cold...but overheating signal still there....

Welll...fingers very crossed, if Canon can adress this issues and improve the times....I will be a very...VERY R5 happy owner!!! :D

Tear the battery door off and rape the switch with toothpicks and Dollar Tree scotch tape. I hear this is the perfect l337 haxors for all the serious videographers out there.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
This is what I wrote a while ago, where my resource at Canon told me a firmware would be available around the same day the R6 would be ready to ship out. You cats didn't believe me. Who's laughing now? (like my new avatar? :) )

We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you..

:rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO:(y)(y)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I disagree.
I have had mine for almost a month now and very happy with it.
Like many gears out there, it takes time to learn all the little things that come with it.
Up to now, I am still at configuring buttons layout and custom functions, and testing each possible variation. Went through testing IBIS, different quality using different crops, using HDMI, balancing gimbal, choice of lenses for different scenario, right time to use different frame rate, post pro in Premiere Pro, dynamic posing with strobe, and so on. It is my first mirrorless and first small camera, and I really have to learn and re-learn many things coming from a DSLR.
There is really a lot to learn. I am glad I have it now when I can't shoot much. Gives me enough time to learn.

"Useless"? Sarcasm indeed. It is the most advanced camera I have ever used and I do own a 1DX II.
Imagine having a 50mm 1.4 and being able to use it to get 4K 50mm, 85 mm and 135 mm at 1.4 with only one lens just by going into the menu without shooting 8K. You have the same minimum focusing distance at all 3 crops, very similar level of IBIS, same lens weight (if you put it sometime overhead for table top), (not to repeat) without taking 3 or 4 lenses with you. I realize that it sounds BS for many pixel guru out there, but I tested them against my need, my mind accepted the results and it gives me freedom (but that is me). Gone are the days when I have to had with me a 100mm macro, 50mm, 85mm, and 135mm primes so that I could shoot people cooking diner for an event. I don't bring tripod, no monopod, no gimbal, just a tiny little camera with a tiny little lens. I handhold it even for a quick table top with the cook. Why would I complain? I let you do that part, you are doing great. Canon is mad, and giving me more.
If they give Clog-2 on that cinema raw lite, then I will do my dance tonight.
My only two concerns with this camera are the 4K 120; I hope they will increase it a bit (10min longer will be fantastic even with a lesser quality/bit rate). Then comes the micro HDMI. I don't think they have a way to fix the damn HDMI. It has caused me so much grief lately. Cannot find a good way to use it with Ninja V and rotated flippy screen. It gets in the way of the screen. There are no 270-degree 4K 60 micro HDMI out there. I can find only 90.
Anyway, If I can upgrade tonight, I will let you know. Just bear in mind that I am a happy owner and won't complain. There is a chance that I won't be able to do it tonight. Somehow I cannot use the USB; I might have a bad cable or bad port on the R5. I might have to switch to wireless, but my computer doesn't have one either. Let's see if I can copy it to an SD card and upgrade from there.

You misread me perfectly...it was ALL sarcasm.

It's a wonderful item, my very few complaints (1080/120 would be a nice add, and I had a couple of menu gripes and would like to be able to assign the useless-to-me rate button) are mere quibbles.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Unfortunately the fact (am nervous about that word for some reason) that the hack clears NVRAM it will be hard for Canon to know for sure. This is the one thing that actually upsets me with what is going on. If the camera gets a reputations for being easy to hack to extend the record limits to levels that are simply unsafe for the hardware what will that do to the value of these cameras in 3 years?

Could be great if the hardware can handle it, could be a disaster if cameras start burning up.

I didn't buy the camera with the intention of selling it down the road. I try to pick one excellent item and use it up. I am one of the few people I know who has owned the same car for just a couple of years short of half his lifetime (it did finally die, short of the mark).

Thus, I won't have to deal with the market effects of other people's asshattery.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I can't wait to read how Andrew and his band of mindless minions "forced" Canon to "come clean..."

Circle jerk central over there.

As I've said, either outcome, the assholes will spin to their credit. Either it's fixed and they forced Canon to come clean, or it's NOT fixed, and Canon just continues to be evil. Heads they win, tails Canon loses. And those who follow them will continue marching merrily on in their delusions.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0