Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming in the next 24 hours

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I didn't buy the camera with the intention of selling it down the road. I try to pick one excellent item and use it up. I am one of the few people I know who has owned the same car for just a couple of years short of half his lifetime (it did finally die, short of the mark).

Thus, I won't have to deal with the market effects of other people's asshattery.

I'm sort of the same except that I buy excellent items and never sell any of them. One time a friend of mine saw my camera closet open. He said WTF and I told him if you buy nice stuff and keep it forever you end up with a really nice collection of nice stuff.

Of course, being old helps. Very curious to hear the story of the car. :)

Nice update on the signature by the way, and excellent use of the word asshattery.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Tear the battery door off and rape the switch with toothpicks and Dollar Tree scotch tape. I hear this is the perfect l337 haxors for all the serious videographers out there.
I saw that hack, didn´t try it yet, I am afraid it could damage camera in some way.....It´s an expensive camera.... :D I will wait to see what Canon can do.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I saw that hack, didn´t try it yet, I am afraid it could damage camera in some way.....It´s an expensive camera.... :D I will wait to see what Canon can do.

Yes - I was being 100 percent sarcastic. Only a fool would override a manufacturer's safety settings.

These people who think they know more than the engineers (yes EOS HD - I'm referring to you) who designed and built the camera - safeguards and all - are stunningly stupid. Without knowing the reasoning and all the technical aspects behind the decisions that were made they are whizzing into a fan - at best.

Upvote 0
Why would you postpone your sales and risk ppl cancelling their pre-orders, if users can easily apply the firmware update themselves?
Absolutely.

A few lost pre-orders is better than a mass outcry from thousands of camera owners. They have the YouTube crowd attacking the camera, but at this point these forums, etc... are not full of people complaining about the cameras in their hands. Also for every buyer like us who are tech savy and follow these cameras there are hundreds, if not thousands of potential buyers out there who would buy the camera with no idea of the issues until they got the camera and returned it in frustration. Most people don't even know what firmware is let alone how to update. In any case I seriously doubt they lost many pre orders. It's not like there's another camera out there for people to buy in it's place.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
We do this as well. So far I had no overheat even after 90 or 100 minutes in 4k60 (ran it for a test). But the warning still appears very early.
Did the camera so far overheat on you with the atomos and turned off or froze?
No issues at all. I leave the memory card out and I’m using the battery grip with dummy battery.
You ever gonna post the links to the used R5s you were bleating about? Here's me looking very doubtful. I guess you were 'not even close to serious...' Or truthful.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Did I say anything about posting links to used cameras? What exactly have I lied about? I think you might be a bit confused.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Canon Singapore has the update.

Firmware Version 1.1.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

1. Useful messaging is now displayed when [HDMI display: Camera+External monitor] and [Overheat control: on] settings are enabled.
2. When using certain RF lenses for movie shooting, the in-lens image stabilization mechanism has been improved.
3. Fixes a phenomenon in which the "Slow Synchro" setting screen is not accurately displayed, when the language is set to English.
4. Fixes a typo displayed on the communication setting screen, when the language is set to Korean.
5. Connectivity during FTP transmission has been improved.
6. Fixes a phenomenon, in which the card access time may take longer, when using certain CFexpress cards.
7. Temperature detection and shooting time control in video shooting have been improved. In addition, the total shooting time when the short-time recording and power-on/off are performed repeatedly at room temperature is improved.
8. The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected.

*The firmware scheduled for release in early September will incorporate the following improvements for the RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM.
-Supports 6-stop image stabilization. (CIPA-compliant)
-Improves IS capabilities when performing continuous shooting under specific conditions.

This firmware update is for cameras equipped with firmware Version 1.0.0. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.1.0, this update is unnecessary. When updating the firmware of your camera, please first review the instructions thoroughly.

Q&A:
Preparations for a firmware update:
After the downloaded compressed file (.zip) is extracted, a firmware folder is created.

*Extracting the downloaded file:
Right-click the zip file, and then select Extract All to extract the file.

In the folder you downloaded are the firmware (EOSR5110.FIR / file size: 46,129,952 bytes) and instructions on the firmware update procedures (a PDF file in five languages: Japanese, English, French, Spanish, and Simplified Chinese). Before starting the firmware update operations, please be sure to check the procedure in accordance with the instruction.

(The following is the history of past firmware updates)
Firmware Version 1.1.0 is the first update to be released.

Upvote 0
"I'm Cancelling my R5 order and Re-Ording my Previously Cancelled Sony Pre-Order that I ordered after Cancelling my R5 Pre-order - How many times was I wrong????"

*Thumbnail: hands over both cheeks with mouth wide open and flames everywhere and melted cameras and ?marks over their head*

Basically, I read his website for a dose of awkward, seeping humor. But lately, I've hesitated as I think he is playing a joke on his readership, forum base and a few canon social media reps.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I just installed the firmware and have a 1DX2 and M6 Mark II as my backups, but I can provide updates throughout the weekend. I have a lot of experience with the camera right now and can see if there are any improvements to the thermals. I know that after shooting photos for about 45 minutes, I couldn't shoot any 120p or 8K. I'll check it periodically to see if that number ever drops to zero in photo mode - because it shouldn't.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
No issues at all. I leave the memory card out and I’m using the battery grip with dummy battery.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Did I say anything about posting links to used cameras? What exactly have I lied about? I think you might be a bit confused.

Not confused at all.

You said:

“Here’s a thought: why not limit the camera with a real thermal limit? I’m sure none would have issue with that. But crippling to protect their cinema line is just a pos move. And I say that as an owner of Canon cinema cameras. Moves like this will see canon going out of business. When the R5 was released it was a “number one” seller on BH websites... after the cripple debacle it’s since been reduced to just “top seller” status. Do knew what took its place? The Sony A7S3. There are already used models of the R5 in stock. This is harming Canon.
Now I understand that stills shooter might not care much about video. But don’t you want a camera that can actually perform without artificial limits? This position really shouldn’t need defending. I didn’t like it when apple was purposely decreasing battery life on their older phones... this is no different. It’s an artificial limit. Sold like it’s to protect the camera, even though in truth, that is a lie.”

...and I have been asking for links to this flood of used R5s ever since. I just can’t seem to find the ones you posted were available.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness.”

― Oscar Wilde

I miss PBD avatar:(

I always looked for Garfield and Pooky in threads because I was likely about to learn something even if I did not always agree with what I was learning.

"Progress is impossible without change; and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything."

--- George Bernard Shaw

I thought Jim Davis "designed" those 2 characters and someone copied it as their avatar.

Imitation as in someone reacting with a certain "like" the same way as another person does?

(oh, that's a "private" joke ;) )

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Not confused at all.

You said:

“Here’s a thought: why not limit the camera with a real thermal limit? I’m sure none would have issue with that. But crippling to protect their cinema line is just a pos move. And I say that as an owner of Canon cinema cameras. Moves like this will see canon going out of business. When the R5 was released it was a “number one” seller on BH websites... after the cripple debacle it’s since been reduced to just “top seller” status. Do knew what took its place? The Sony A7S3. There are already used models of the R5 in stock. This is harming Canon.
Now I understand that stills shooter might not care much about video. But don’t you want a camera that can actually perform without artificial limits? This position really shouldn’t need defending. I didn’t like it when apple was purposely decreasing battery life on their older phones... this is no different. It’s an artificial limit. Sold like it’s to protect the camera, even though in truth, that is a lie.”

...and I have been asking for links to this flood of used R5s ever since. I just can’t seem to find the ones you posted were available.

And of course, he's imputing motives of Canon for no apparent reason.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Pretty sure this

8. The phenomenon in which the movie recording time available is not correctly displayed when the Date/Time/Zone is not set has been corrected.

Closed the hack with pulling the battery, but I am not interested in trying it

I was looking forward to all these "professionals" with taped up cameras with doors sticking open yanking out the battery every so often on the job.

• Haha
Upvote 0