Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

Those who use this camera as a camera see no problem with “record times.” Works like a mule all day long in 95F ambient without a hitch.

View attachment 192084
We are not talking photos though are we , no one has ever complained about the camera side of the R5 just the video issues .

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Funny, the biggest “bugs” on the list are all artificial: overheat warning, crippled dynamic range due to C-Log with max DR of 12 stops, recording limits, no 8K out... even though HDMI 2.0 supports 8K @30p, etc...
it's intentional...
Let me explain, they gave a bit of everything (taste platter) for those Canon users and once they taste it ... now please go buy the cine line.
think about it, those RF lens are huge investment... the users are locked in. they have no choice but to buy those RF cine's
it kind of looks like Canon is not interested with the hybrid (with more video use) market... it's either stills (1DX, R5) or pro video (Cine line).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I hope they add some kind of Raw option for 4k or 1080p

I mean, if you had 1080p available to record in RAW (24, 50 & 120fps) along with the lite raw code, I think that could cover 90% of what mostly anyone would want to do with the camera

Clog3 to bring the available dynamic range up to snuff (I think I read its stuck around 11 with clog and clog 3 should bring that up by at least 1 stop?)

throw in maybe 4k RAW as an option,

Do something about recovery times on the camera

a7siii killer right there

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 384473

it's intentional...
Let me explain, they gave a bit of everything (taste platter) for those Canon users and once they taste it ... now please go buy the cine line.
think about it, those RF lens are huge investment... the users are locked in. they have no choice but to buy those RF cine's
it kind of looks like Canon is not interested with the hybrid (with more video use) market... it's either stills (1DX, R5) or pro video (Cine line).
Really easy to sell RF glass and lose very little. Hear that Canon???

*crickets*

Upvote 0

IVS

Abbey Gatto
Nov 17, 2015
most of these firmware updates will be out before R6 ships. And the next batch of R5 will be shipped out with it. That's what my friend working at Canon told me last week.
Did your friend happen to mention anything about the potential ALL-I firmware update for the R6 ? The R5 is a bit spicy for my pocket but and R6 I might consider if I'm motivated enough over the IPB limitations in my 90D. Many thanks in advance for your kind reply.

Upvote 0
This camera is not shutting down due to overheating, it’s shutting down because Canon coded the firmware to make the headline features unusable.

Yes, it's to protect their full frame 8K CINI lineup. Of course. Btw, it's shutting down because of overheating.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
We are not talking photos though are we , no one has ever complained about the camera side of the R5 just the video issues .
Here's a hot take (and completely selfish to be clear) - all the overheating concerns for video don't really bother me because all the outcomes from reaction to the issue are positive or neutral for me:
  1. If people don't care and the camera sells fine - great, Canon goes about their business and I keep shooting photos (neutral)
  2. If people do care about overheating and the camera misses sales marks - great, Canon considers steeper discounting early on the body and I get one for cheaper (beneficial)
I'm ok with either of those scenarios, frankly!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Andreasb

CR Pro
Mar 24, 2017
To me as a retired marketer, it seems obvious what Canon will do to deal with this is:
  • Announce a very tasty Cineline RF mount camera with much less recovery problems etc.
  • At the same time or a day after announce a "coming" firmware update for the R5 & 6 to make it a little better, but not much better so that impedes the new Cineline RF camera (and that's a mistake because it will p-s off existing users even more?)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
What is Mraw? Is that for video or photo?

M-RAW

Introduced with the EOS 7D, and also on the EOS-1D Mark IV, M-RAW provides all the advantages of a RAW file, but in a smaller file size. Depending on the camera an M-RAW file has approximately between 55-60% of the pixel count and approximately two thirds the file size of a RAW image. Like RAW images, M-RAW images can be adjusted and processed with Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software (free in the box with the camera). Shooting M-RAW files might appeal to wedding photographers who don’t need full resolution for wedding candids, but who do want the post-production control that RAW offers. It could also be of use to sports/action photographers who will get an increase in the number of frames when shooting in bursts due to using a smaller file size. M-RAW is also worth considering if you are not planning to make prints larger than A3 size.

Upvote 0

Paul Nordin

CR Pro
Jun 5, 2020
Cinema Raw Light is Canon's own compressed raw codec, first introduced on the C200 and now present in C500II, C300III, and 1DX Mark III. It's similar to Black Magic Raw in that it is a compressed raw codec giving you raw image quality without the giant file sizes. BM Raw has more compression options (5:1, 8:1, 12:1, etc), but Canon's is a fixed compression that works out to be around 4:1 or so. So, file sizes are still big, but not nearly as big as straight raw. Adding this would probably double or triple your record times in 8k on the R5, which would be very welcome.
In addition is what I consider to be the most important benefit of CRL: Lower bandwith/frame sizes. That will create a chain reaction of goodness, including less stress/heat on the CFexpress card.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
M-RAW

Introduced with the EOS 7D, and also on the EOS-1D Mark IV, M-RAW provides all the advantages of a RAW file, but in smaller file size. Depending on the camera an M-RAW file has approximately between 55-60% of the pixel count and approximately two thirds the file size of a RAW image. Like RAW images, M-RAW images can be adjusted and processed with Canon’s Digital Photo Professional software (free in the box with the camera). Shooting M-RAW files might appeal to wedding photographers who don’t need a full resolution for wedding candids, but who do want the post-production control that RAW offers. It could also be of use to sports/action photographers who will get an increase in the number of frames when shooting in bursts due to using a smaller file size. M-RAW is also worth considering if you are not planning to make prints larger than A3 size.
I thought that is a CRAW, like in the EOS R camera?

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
I hope they add some kind of Raw option for 4k or 1080p

I mean, if you had 1080p available to record in RAW (24, 50 & 120fps) along with the lite raw code, I think that could cover 90% of what mostly anyone would want to do with the camera

Clog3 to bring the available dynamic range up to snuff (I think I read its stuck around 11 with clog and clog 3 should bring that up by at least 1 stop?)

throw in maybe 4k RAW as an option,

Do something about recovery times on the camera

a7siii killer right there

Only way to add RAW for 1080 or 4K would be to crop the sensor for (to) those resolutions.

Upvote 0