Canon EOS-R5 images

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Thanks very much for this helpful assessment. I'm debating whether to keep or sell my 1DX2 since as a second body for hobby shooting, hiking travelling etc. it is just so big and heavy but the return on a sale is probably minimal so why sell a good camera. I fully concur with the wide use. I also like the video from the 1DX2 and am not sure the R5 would be a full replacement - do you do any video?

Jack

Honestly, I would say you could get the R5 and probably swap the 1DX mark II for an R6. The 1DX mark II should still get around $2500 used depending on where you sell it, which would buy you the R6 outright.

The primary reason I haven't sold my 1DX Mark II is because of the 1D-series features that I love from it, including fantastic battery life, the built-in grip, top-of-line durability, 14 FPS, high-speed antiflicker, and excellent autofocus. The 1DX2 may feel a bit ancient right now, but it's still a fantastic camera, and blows my former second body, the 5DIII, totally out of the water. Having the 1DX2 on my wide lens has given me so many more great wide angle images than I would when I would often avoid using my 5D3 due to the low dynamic range vs the 1DX2.

But battery life is the biggest of them all. I swap my 1DX2 battery about once a week--it's always there and always has enough battery to cover a fire, even if I'm driving back from a fire and come upon another one. The R5 I typically swap batteries after every shoot, just to be super safe. It hasn't been an issue, but one large-scale fire with 2000-3000 images may use 70-80% of the R5's battery, so if the battery isn't full when I run out the door it will probably die during the fire.

As for video, I don't often do too much freelance video outside of my dayjob(where we use C200s) but when I do, the 1DX mark II has been a perfectly okay B-camera, since I only really use a second angle on interviews where the lack of continuous autofocus isn't a big concern. It works great and the 1DX mark II is an excellent camera, but the R6 would probably be a better option here than the 1D for video uses. The R6 has full tracking video focus, IBIS, CLog, flip screen, some 60 FPS 4K, and full frame 4K vs 1.3x crop.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Honestly, I would say you could get the R5 and probably swap the 1DX mark II for an R6. The 1DX mark II should still get around $2500 used depending on where you sell it, which would buy you the R6 outright.

The primary reason I haven't sold my 1DX Mark II is because of the 1D-series features that I love from it, including fantastic battery life, the built-in grip, top-of-line durability, 14 FPS, high-speed antiflicker, and excellent autofocus. The 1DX2 may feel a bit ancient right now, but it's still a fantastic camera, and blows my former second body, the 5DIII, totally out of the water. Having the 1DX2 on my wide lens has given me so many more great wide angle images than I would when I would often avoid using my 5D3 due to the low dynamic range vs the 1DX2.

But battery life is the biggest of them all. I swap my 1DX2 battery about once a week--it's always there and always has enough battery to cover a fire, even if I'm driving back from a fire and come upon another one. The R5 I typically swap batteries after every shoot, just to be super safe. It hasn't been an issue, but one large-scale fire with 2000-3000 images may use 70-80% of the R5's battery, so if the battery isn't full when I run out the door it will probably die during the fire.

As for video, I don't often do too much freelance video outside of my dayjob(where we use C200s) but when I do, the 1DX mark II has been a perfectly okay B-camera, since I only really use a second angle on interviews where the lack of continuous autofocus isn't a big concern. It works great and the 1DX mark II is an excellent camera, but the R6 would probably be a better option here than the 1D for video uses. The R6 has full tracking video focus, IBIS, CLog, flip screen, some 60 FPS 4K, and full frame 4K vs 1.3x crop.
Thanks again. I have certainly enjoyed my 1DX2 for maybe 3 1/2 years now and if it were not for the eye-tracking and 45 MPs I wouldn't be entertaining thoughts of selling. Here are two examples of what I have grown accustomed to. The two front buttons serve me very well, the upper is review a shot with magnification, so when I shoot and quickly press it, I'm zooming in. The other is servo-one-shot which I guess on the R5 is not very important given all the focus points. Seems like the best solution right now is for me to just buy the R5 and like you see how it all works out. When I had the 6D I liked that body size and weight so an R6 would indeed be a good second camera. I'll let you know in due course.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
Couple from Friday morning, finally got to shoot some moving water with it.

i-2pJSBFC-X2.jpg

i-r7BJ4hx-X2.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The RF 35mm F/1.8 STM Macro is truly such a fantastic walkaround lens. Whoever it was at Canon that decided a 35mm F/1.8 should also be a 0.5x macro, they deserve a trophy.

Out on a hike mainly looking for birds when I stumbled on a pond full of eastern red spotted newts. RF 35mm F/1.8 came out of the beltpack and immediately got me some decent macro shots. I was shooting birds in crop mode and forgot to swap out of crop mode, but that ultimately made the second closer image more of a 0.8x macro, which again is just such an excellent macro capability to have in a tiny walkaround fast prime, often these shots I don't mind cropping in and losing resolution to get closer to life-sized. It doesn't replace a true macro, but in situations where I wouldn't have brought a macro lens to begin with, you can't beat such a multi-use lens.

EOS R5 + RF 35mm F/1.8 STM Macro, F/6.3, ISO 400, 1/250th, 1.6x crop mode.

resized-040421-Boyd-Big-Tree-Preserve-10.jpg

resized-040421-Boyd-Big-Tree-Preserve-17.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Now THAT is some serious wide-angle distortion!!!

Wait...the green house is supposed to look like that.

(Nevertheless, I think I see some distortion near the edges, on the left the tree leans outward, also on the right the signpost and trees seem to lean outward.)
yeah 15mm facing down to really distort it, what a funky little play house for the kids:)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
This one was a unique one. I was actually out at a baseball game having only brought my R5 and RF 35mm F/1.8 to watch the game when the city got toned out for a two-alarm fire involving five buildings. Bunch of cat rescues.

The R5 definitely got it's money's worth out of this one. Being able to crop 35mm all the way to probably 100mm+ for some images was an absolute life saver. It really gave me the ability to get (some) variety in photos. The last image is the most cropped of all of these. Sure, you can tell it's cropped, but it works far better to give a better view in the distance without all the distracting foreground content, and it's better than nothing, which would have been the scenario for any lower-resolution camera trying that far of a crop.

resized-061721-Fickes-Way-2nd-alarm-18.jpg

resized-061721-Fickes-Way-2nd-alarm-73.jpg

resized-061721-Fickes-Way-2nd-alarm-79.jpg

resized-061721-Fickes-Way-2nd-alarm-87.jpg

resized-061721-Fickes-Way-2nd-alarm-108.jpg

Upvote 0