Canon EOS R5 Mark II in the hands of the lucky? [CR1]

Aug 9, 2016
I suspect that for a lot of 5DIV shooters -- like me -- the R5II will be the upgrade that brings us into the mirrorless world. Since I primarily shoot stills, the original R5 wasn't quite worth the spend. But with improved autofocus and sensor, plus even better video, the R5II will be a bigger jump in quality (not to mention that my 5DIV is now 3 years older)

Deutsch Photography: NYC’s Top Corporate, Executive and Actor Headshot Photographer NYC
I’ve owned the entire 5D line up, not sure what you’re waiting for the upgrade to the R5 from the 5DIV, including owning the 5DIV for four years, the R5 is far superior in every possible way imaginable x 100.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I’ll add to this conversation the “ordinary filmmaker” stated in one of his videos he had confirmation from sources before the announcement of the R6ii that it would be a 24mp stacked sensor. And we all know that was completely wrong!

So I’d take what he says with a tiny grain of salt, don’t believe him anymore honestly.
This site does say "RUMORS" prominently at the top of the page.
Unless it's a product announcement, take everything you read here with a grain of salt.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

fiendstudios

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
A report has surfaced that bodies of the Canon EOS R5 Mark II are in the hands of the select few testers. Does that mean we’re going to see it announced in Q4 of 2023? We have no specifications of value to add to the Canon EOS R5 Mark II rumors at this time. Most

See full article...
Why are you removing my posts?

Upvote 0
there is one thing that would absolutely make me upgrade from a R5 to an R5II. Some sort of dependable and faster wifi/5g wireless tethering functionality built in. I'm talking better than the wifi grip. Not being able to shoot raw wirelessly in a fast and dependable way in 2023 is unbelievable. If they actually put the work in to make some great software / hardware change in this regard you would get people switching from other brands immediately.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If the Mark II is coming, then there may be discounts on the Mark 1 coming, which would be very welcome indeed ...
In Australia, we are already seeing significant discounting on the R5. Latest I have seen is AUD5k with 5 year warranty ie USD3335 which includes Australian 10% GST.
Not so many second hand available though. Some say that they are switchers but they are finding it hard to reduce their asking price respectively under the current new price. They must have a specific use case to warrant switching.

Upvote 0
In short, I'm not looking for major changes but, rather, for a more refined camera. My R5 is my most enjoyable body (I shoot the Nikon Z9 as well). I think that if Canon makes the user experience more enjoyable with the performance improvements mentioned above, a lot of R5 users will be willing to upgrade.
People in the forum often talk about switchers and value for money/use cases for different systems so I would be interested to understand your thoughts on the R5/RF system and how the Z9/Z system compare and how it is good value for having both.

Upvote 0
I’ve owned the entire 5D line up, not sure what you’re waiting for the upgrade to the R5 from the 5DIV, including owning the 5DIV for four years, the R5 is far superior in every possible way imaginable x 100.
Only downside to the 5Div vs R5 is blackout free EVF and battery life. Besides that, the R5 is soooo much better than my old 5Div.

Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
Would be great if the R5 MKII would have Advanced A+ mode from the R50 or the A+ from the R10.
Can you elaborate on why you're buying a professional camera and then not use the manual capture modes? Since using DSLR/DSLM I've never used anything other than M.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I still use my 5DIV as my main camera for a couple of reasons. 1. I still like the optical VF and 2. The 30MP sensor fills my needs. I never print larger than 16x24”. Maybe I would print 20x30 someday. I did rent a R5 in 2021 and while its a great mirrorless camera, it wasn’t enough to sway me to purchase one.
I did recently purchase a new R6 w/24-105L and EF-RF adapter for an extremely good price. I know that this body will likely be discontinued but it does fill the need for a great low-light body since a 5DIV is good to
about 6400 ISO an R6 will produce fine results up to 12,000 ISO and probably higher ISO with DxO noise reduction software.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Only downside to the 5Div vs R5 is blackout free EVF and battery life. Besides that, the R5 is soooo much better than my old 5Div.
Blackout is not a deal breaker, frankly I didn’t even know it was a problem till someone mentioned it. I have no problem with BIF or fast moving animals. Really not sure if “no blackout” is gonna make any difference to people missing or getting a shot.

It’s getting to the point where people want the damn camera do everything for them. How fun is that?

And what’s wrong with the battery? I get 1000-1200 shots easily. And if it dies, ooo I change it with another one. Don’t wanna do that, buy a grip. Lol

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
People in the forum often talk about switchers and value for money/use cases for different systems so I would be interested to understand your thoughts on the R5/RF system and how the Z9/Z system compare and how it is good value for having both.
I'm not a full-time pro, so I don't have to rationalize my purchases (if I were and did, I would stick with one system). As primarily a hobbyist/enthusiast, I shoot primarily for enjoyment, and some cameras/lens combos do certain things better than others. Accordingly I have crossed systems to get some "best of breed" combinations.

Currently, Nikon has a tremendous lead in the long-prime category. The pf lenses are amazing weight savers without sacrificing IQ. The 500mm pf even adapted is a far lighter and more compact long lens than any other system offers. The 800mm pf is the long lens that I thought I never wanted/needed but now would never give up. 800mm f/6.3 at a fraction of the weight and size of 800mm f/5.6 lenses with the same IQ for less than 1/2 the price! The 400mm f/4.5--which we all thought was going to be a pf but is actually a more conventional design--is an amazingly compact lens as well. And the two exotics--400mm and 600mm with built-in TCs--are also unique offerings (lenses with built-in TCs have previously existed for zooms but not for primes).

Accordingly, I purchased my Z9 primarily to shoot one or more of the lenses mentioned above, and it has not disappointed. Many (most) commentators think that the Z9's AF is slightly behind Canon's (and Sony's). However, if true, it is hardly noticeable. I thought that I might switch entirely to Nikon Z, but I find that I prefer my R5 for day-to-day and non-wildlife shooting. IMO, it is more enjoyable for general use, and I prefer Canon non-exotic lenses to Nikon's.

The Canon 14-35mm L f/4 is significantly better than the Nikon 14-30mm (IQ, build quality, and range), and both the 70-200 2.8 and 100-500mm L lenses are unique in their ways (compactness and 5x rather than the common 4x zoom in the long zoom). Thus, if I picked just one system, I'd either have to give up Canon's advantage in the wide-to-long-zoom categories, or Nikon's advantage in the long-prime category. I'm not willing to give up either.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0