Canon EOS R5 Mark II sensor resolution likely to stick at 45mp but with new AI features [CR2]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
All im saying is that we might not get the full benefit from 60mp that many people are hoping for, because the lenses also need to be sharp enough for the task.
Again, you never get the "full benefit" - it's an impossibility, the resolution of a lens-sensor pair is the product of the MTFs of each, each one lowers the overall resolution. The question is whether you get a noticeable increase in resolution on improving the lens or sensor. And, it's clear that the R7 does that in reasonable light relative to the R5 for many common lenses.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
I'm absolutely devastated.
- No higher resolution
- AI bullshitting
- Subscription rip-off

I made the EF -> RF switch last summer temporarily using an R7 and a serious value of RF lenses and planning to buy the R5m2 latest Q1 2024 as was hoped...even now I might need to reconsider switching brands. I'm furious.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
An AI feature id love to see (if its possible) is that the camera automatically detects the best shutterspeed for a sharp image with a moving subject.

Imagine you are photographing a flying bird and the camera automatically selects the slowest possible shutter speed that still gives you a tack sharp image.

This could revolutionize action photography by giving us potentially lower iso numbers and more sharp shots, because it would also correct too slow shutterspeeds.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
- No higher resolution
- AI bullshitting
- Subscription rip-off

I made the EF -> RF switch last summer temporarily using an R7 and a serious value of RF lenses and planning to buy the R5m2 latest Q1 2024 as was hoped...even now I might need to reconsider switching brands. I'm furious.
"Absolutely devastated" by a camera not meeting your wishes? :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Personally, I'd like to see an AI feature that works with eye auto-focus for small groups. I'd love to see a feature that gets every single eye of the people in a portrait tack sharp at the lowest possible aperture. That would help when I give my camera to somebody else to take a group portrait that I'm in ;-)
You just need it to recognise your face. ;) That's easy as my software remembers faces now.

• Wow
Upvote 0
- No higher resolution
- AI bullshitting
- Subscription rip-off

Its just a rumor. Lets grab a cup of tea. wait and see. Its just fun to speculate. Its rated CR2, you can get furious when its CR5 ;D

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I feel the same way but Adobe is proof that not everyone feels that way.
I would prefer the Microsoft Office approach where there is a choice between a subscription and a lifetime license.
Microsoft Personal 365 for $70/year strikes me as being a fair deal, particularly when you compare it to what wireless carriers charge for using a smartphone.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm furious.
CR2: This is a rumour that comes from a known source with a track record of giving correct information most of the time, but not always. The information in these rumours do not have a broad consensus from known sources.

If that's all it takes to make you furious and absolutely devastated, how do you function in day-to-day life?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I will never subscribe to a camera.

Capitalism, in its demand for ever increasing profits, squeezes consumers when production can't get any cheaper. Shrinkflation, collecting and selling user data, and subscription models for goods are all symptoms of the hell we've created and are living in.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
Microsoft Personal 365 for $70/year strikes me as being a fair deal, particularly when you compare it to what wireless carriers charge for using a smartphone.

Subscribing to software at a low price must seem like a fair deal when you've already given up on the idea of ownership, which was the norm less than 10 years ago.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It is really difficult to discuss irrelevant ideas and come to a conclusion. There are 2-3 months until the camera is introduced, so it would be best to see what is going on and evaluate it then.
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.—Einstein.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
An AI feature id love to see (if its possible) is that the camera automatically detects the best shutterspeed for a sharp image with a moving subject.

Imagine you are photographing a flying bird and the camera automatically selects the slowest possible shutter speed that still gives you a tack sharp image.

This could revolutionize action photography by giving us potentially lower iso numbers and more sharp shots, because it would also correct too slow shutterspeeds.
It will happen, sooner or later.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

P-visie

EOS 5 - R5
CR Pro
Sep 14, 2020
Netherlands
www.p-visie.nl
Subscribing to software at a low price must seem like a fair deal when you've already given up on the idea of ownership, which was the norm less than 10 years ago.
You are wrong: When you buy a perpetual software license, you do not get ownership of the software. You buy the right to use the software for as long as you wish (i.e. until the software is no longer supported, or the software does not support your new camera, or the software no longer works because the operating system of your computer becomes obsolete, etc.).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0