Canon EOS R5 Mark II to arrive before EOS R1? [CR2]

What's the relationship between processor architecture and firmware size ? Suppose the processor grows from 10 cores to 20. Do you expect the firmware size to double ?
I think it can be considered. Although the processor names are digic x. There are processor capabilities and software differences. This points to the difference in the update files. Also why are you treating this system as a computer configuration.

R series, average firmware file sizes:

Canon Eos R: 34 -37 MB
Canon Eos R6: 50-51 MB
Canon Eos R5: 49-55 MB
Canon Eos R5C: 87-88 MB
Canon Eos R3: 85-86 MB
Canon Eos R6 Mark II: 75 MB
Canon Eos R7: 70 MB
Canon Eos R10: 69 MB

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm fortunate that cost is not really a huge concern for me. Ease of use, features, etc. are more important. I tend to shoot manual and change settings frequently on land, and I'd rather not futz with that underwater where there the factors in your last sentence must take precedence.
Certainly takes more effort to change settings underwater. Using C1-C3 is an option though. Reassigning custom buttons can make life easier.
Careful when you say that cost is not a huge concern... Check out the pricing for Nauticam housings
Nauticam is the top of the line for milled aluminum housings. A bunch of other aluminum options like Aquatica and Isotta but Ikelite is the cheapest. They have more space inside (buoyancy) and lighter than the metal ones and you can see the O ring as well. Ikelite have the full solution from housings to port/domes, arms/trays, trim weights and TTL strobes.
:)
USD6700 for the Nauticam R3 housing (3.6kg) and then start adding ports/domes etc at a higher cost than Ikelite.
https://www.nauticam.com/products/na-r3-housing-for-canon-eos-r3-camera

The other factor for me, and a main reason I went with SeaLife, is they have a very nice ecosystem of lights and trays/arms. The reading I have done suggested that underwater is similar to portraiture in that the lighting is far more important than the camera. Adjusting ILC settings and strobe settings is more than I want to deal with, at least for the time being. As for getting a housing for my main camera, Ikelite doesn't make one for the R3 and it's not clear if they will.
Email [email protected] to check if they will do one for the R3 or not but if you are okay with R8, it will be a smaller setup.
Also to that point, I've been told by a couple of experienced underwater photographers that, "There are two types of underwater photographers – those who have had a housing flood, and those who will have a housing flood."
Same advice for bicyclists or motor bike riders falling off.
I have never had a flood after 15 years of diving (and snorkeling before that). I have been pretty careful with O rings for the earlier housings and the designs now are much better. Vacuum pumps have made it simple to check. Dropping your rig on a rock / boat will break stuff but that is what insurance is for. There were a lot of floods for people in the past when the designs weren't great.

In addition to the smartphone housing, I got a pair of 3000 lumen flood lights (dual function, with a 1500 lumen spot in addition to the flood).
Underwater lighting is very important. You can always shoot without video light/strobes and adjust white balance in post but lighting becomes the creative side of things. The main issue is particulate in the water column. Video lights aren't as powerful as strobes (like above land). In theory, with 2 lights, they need to be set wide of the housing and intersect their beams at the subject distance to minimise backscatter. You can get more creative for macro with side lighting/ fill etc but the complexity rises quickly. I am using a snoot at the moment with one strobe for macro to get nicer light but it is tricky.
I also picked up SeaLife's blue fluorescent excitation source. I have done fluorescent microscopy for three decades, so that's an aspect of marine life I'm interested to explore. The diver/physicist who collaborated with SeaLife on the fluorescent light head makes a nice custom snap-on yellow filter for the housing (to filter out reflected excitation light) that I'll swap out for the red filter.
I have done Fluor dives before in the Maldives and they are amazing. You need to comfortable with night diving and have at least Advanced Open Water PADI certification. Doing the PADI underwater photography course is not bad but the main advice is get low and shoot at the same level or upwards to the subject (not from above).
You also need a yellow filter for your mask and the lens.
You need a bunch of power from your strobe/video lights for the excitation of course - the more the better. The SeaLife light has very narrow beam.
Difficult to focus in those wavelengths so having a additional red or blue light for fill means you can see the reef ie not bump into stuff that is not fluorescing.
Ikelite have some nice articles on the subject and I will be going to Wakatobi/Indonesia in a couple of months which is a mecca for fluo snorkel/diving.
https://www.ikelite.com/blogs/advanced-techniques/fluorescence-and-luminance
https://www.ikelite.com/blogs/cheat...ter-photography-camera-settings-and-technique

Assuming that you will be editing in post, then red filter is pretty useless for stills as it reduces light in general. Adjust white balance in post. Red filter helps for video as changing video in post is more difficult.
If I do eventually move to a MILC in an Ikelite housing, the SeaLife gear can be adapted to work with it.
Check if TTL can be used or not. Most strobes are manual although the Ikelite ones can handle TTL or manual. The TTL convertor for Ikelite is USD400 by itself though. The other thing to consider for strobes in the future especially for macro is to have the video light/modelling light on-axis with the strobe. Very difficult to aim strobes when the they aren't aligned with the light.

I generally put my diving photos on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100012315855277

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
For the pricing question, the current rebate on R3 would help put a reasonable gap/segmentation for the R5/3/1.
I think their will be an R3 Mark II so I do not believe the drop in price of the current R3 to be an indication of the price of the R1.
I am thinking $7K USD for the R1 and $6K USD for the R3 Mark II.
There is also room for an R2 so a crazy expensive price for an R1 is not out of the question.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Careful when you say that cost is not a huge concern... Check out the pricing for Nauticam housings
Nauticam is the top of the line for milled aluminum housings. A bunch of other aluminum options like Aquatica and Isotta but Ikelite is the cheapest.
Yes, those are rather costly. ;) Still, cost really isn't a big concern for me. Having said that, I am not one to waste money on something I don't think I need or something that I won't really use. That's why I didn't replace my 1D X with the MkII or MkIII, or replace my 600/4 II with the MkIII or RF versions – what I had met my needs. But I also didn't hesitate to preorder the R3, and if an RF 300/2.8 comes out, or an RF 600/4 II that is a true redesign that adds optical benefit (as opposed to just removing mass), I'll order those as well.

At this point, I'm treating underwater photography as I initially treated buying a DSLR – something I want to try, but I'm not sure I'll become passionate about. When I bought my first DSLR (in 2009) I set a budget for myself of $2500, as an amount I was willing to spend on something that might just gather dust after the first blush wore off. Knowing axioms from my film SLR days that lens > body and from my P&S days that an onboard flash is weak and is synonymous with red-eye, I bought a T1i/500D as a body only, the EF-S 17-55/2.8 for a standard zoom and the EF 85/1.8 for portraits, the 430EX strobe, and a Manfrotto CF tripod and ballhead, and that came in just at my budget. Clearly, photography became something I was (and remain) passionate about, and to date I've spent well over 20x that initial outlay.

Same approach here, a $2500 outlay for something I may do just this once or very infrequently is acceptable to me. The iPhone housing, three lights (two white flood/spot and one Fluor), dual tray (and one single, because it comes with the Fluor), grips and flex arms, a handle so the light not mounted to the tray can be used as a dive light, two extra batteries for the lights, the custom barrier filters for housing and masks, and some ancillary stuff like the red filter for a flood light, desiccant capsules for the housing, cases, D-rings and snappy-coil lanyards, and the outlay is ~$2400.

If this turns out to be something I will do often, I have no problem spending what is needed for top-shelf gear. A Nauticam housing, ports and some high power strobes will probably come in at about what I paid for the 600/4L IS II. I still don't think I'd use the R3 in that scenario, especially given your initial comments on cropping for underwater photography that launched this discussion. The cost difference between the Nauticam R3 and R5 housings would pay for 2/3 of an R5, so I'd probably go that route.

The other factor is that while I can do above-water photography any time, I'm not fortunate enough to live near good diving (sure, one can dive in New England, but I'd prefer not to). That means diving is limited to vacations, and up until now I've been the only diver in the family. My oldest child may or may not enjoy it, my other two kids have no real interest in it, and my wife is not a fan of being in the ocean (pre-children, we went to Belize and I dove the Blue Hole along with some wall dives, she came along as a snorkeler, and she and a couple other non-divers were dropped off in a lagoon filled with barracuda as the boat motored off – she's never really forgiven me for that...experience). I am fortunate to really enjoy being with my family, so going off on a solo dive trip (or just me and one kid) to a warm-water destination is not very appealing. That means a substantial investment in underwater photo gear would see limited use in the best case scenario and I may just stick with the smartphone setup. Another benefit to that is if I go 3 years between trips where diving is an option, I may have moved on to a new phone and a new MILC, but the phone housing will probably still work fine and that would not be true for the camera housing.

Email [email protected] to check if they will do one for the R3 or not but if you are okay with R8, it will be a smaller setup.
They have a page for it on their website, where they indicate, "We are considering supporting this exciting flagship full frame mirrorless camera from Canon. We do not yet have enough information to suggest a timeline." I take that to mean that if they get a sufficient number of expressions of interest, they will make one. Contrast that with the R8 page, "We anticipate supporting this exciting new full frame mirrorless camera from Canon. We do not yet have enough information to suggest a timeline," which probably means they can't determine the timeline until they actually get a camera in their hands.

Still, for this trip at least I will stick with the iPhone housing for underwater.

I preordered the R8 because I'm considering taking that instead of my R3 on this upcoming family trip. Shooting will mainly be architecture and shots of family, so I don't need the speed or AF capabilities of the R3, and the ergonomics are less important since much of the shooting will be on a tripod. For that use case, the smaller/lighter body while keeping the FF sensor is an advantage.

Underwater lighting is very important. You can always shoot without video light/strobes and adjust white balance in post but lighting becomes the creative side of things. The main issue is particulate in the water column. Video lights aren't as powerful as strobes (like above land). In theory, with 2 lights, they need to be set wide of the housing and intersect their beams at the subject distance to minimise backscatter. You can get more creative for macro with side lighting/ fill etc but the complexity rises quickly. I am using a snoot at the moment with one strobe for macro to get nicer light but it is tricky.
Agreed. The dual tray with flexible extension arms will give me sufficient flexibility, I hope. The flood beams are 90° (underwater), the spot beams from the same light heads are 11° (underwater), which can provide a snoot-like illumination. Since the iPhone also has an ultrawide lens (13mm FFeq FoV), the pair of lights can also be used to light a wider scene.

I have done Fluor dives before in the Maldives and they are amazing. You need to comfortable with night diving and have at least Advanced Open Water PADI certification. Doing the PADI underwater photography course is not bad but the main advice is get low and shoot at the same level or upwards to the subject (not from above).
You also need a yellow filter for your mask and the lens.
You need a bunch of power from your strobe/video lights for the excitation of course - the more the better. The SeaLife light has very narrow beam.
Difficult to focus in those wavelengths so having a additional red or blue light for fill means you can see the reef ie not bump into stuff that is not fluorescing.
Ikelite have some nice articles on the subject and I will be going to Wakatobi/Indonesia in a couple of months which is a mecca for fluo snorkel/diving.
https://www.ikelite.com/blogs/advanced-techniques/fluorescence-and-luminance
https://www.ikelite.com/blogs/cheat...ter-photography-camera-settings-and-technique
I've been told that at moderate depths with morning / late day dives, Fluor shooting is also feasible. The SeaLife Fluor light has a beam angle of ~50°(underwater), which is wider than the iPhone tele (77mm lens, 33° FoV) and matched to the binned main camera images (48mm equivalent, since it's 2x2 binned from the 24mm lens, 48° FoV).

The Fluor light comes with generic mask and camera barrier filters, but I actually ordered custom barrier filters for the smartphone housing (one that snaps on in place of the included red filter) and for our masks (because the generic is not a good fit for either of them).

For the fluorescence setup, I plan to use the dual tray with the Fluor light and one of the white floods with a red filter on the other side to use for focus/fill.
Assuming that you will be editing in post, then red filter is pretty useless for stills as it reduces light in general. Adjust white balance in post. Red filter helps for video as changing video in post is more difficult.
My preference is to handle that by adding light, instead of using the red filter to reduce the already relatively low amount of short wavelength light to balance out long wavelength light lost with depth.

Check if TTL can be used or not. Most strobes are manual although the Ikelite ones can handle TTL or manual. The TTL convertor for Ikelite is USD400 by itself though. The other thing to consider for strobes in the future especially for macro is to have the video light/modelling light on-axis with the strobe. Very difficult to aim strobes when the they aren't aligned with the light.
Good point. The SeaLife strobes do support TTL, but from what I can tell only via optical coupling which means only for cameras with popup flashes (irrelevant for now, as I'm using constant lights not strobes). But as I said, if I go the MILC route, I'll buy what I need for it.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I’m sure it wouldn’t. I believe what @Michael Clark was suggesting is that the R1 will have a very high MP sensor, and that there will be no R5s. His hypothetical R1 would have a slower frame rate, i.e., Canon returning to the 1D / 1Ds paradigm, but with the R3 filling the 1D role.

Personally, I think the R1 will still be a ‘fast’ camera. The only way I can see it being high MP is if they do what Apple did with the main camera on the iPhone 14 Pro, e.g., a 96 MP sensor with a quad-Bayer CFA that can bin down to a 24 MP true RAW image at much higher fps.

Yes on there may only be one high resolution camera with the 1-Series form factor. I think the longer we don't see an R5s, the more likely there is no R5s.

Not so much on the handling speed limitations of the 1Ds series compared to the APS-H 1D bodies. It might still be a bit slower than the R3, but I think not by the same relative comparison between the 1D and 1Ds of each generation.

Video performance expectations have driven processing power demand to the point that it will have enough horsepower under the hood to still be pretty quick. Of all of the pre-1D X 1-series cameras, the 1D Mark IV was the only one that could even shoot video. What will be "slower" as well as "larger" is the off-camera processing and transmission/storage of the huge raw files from the high resolution sensor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think the R5s will be aimed at the same market as the 5DsR, i.e. studio, fashion, product, architecture and landscape photographers (and those who habitually indulge in very heavy cropping). None of those sectors would want/need a gripped body. I'd expect the same form factor as the R5.

The R3 is the current choice for PJ and sports (wildlife photographers tend to prefer the R5 from my limited observations) and will remain as the "affordable flagship" and professional workhorse.

Given how good the R3 is, and how much extra a R1 would cost, I'm puzzled by what the later might offer, that could be justified economically by potential purchasers. It's quite feasible that Canon have put the R1 on hold, and will only release it after a lot more necessary development. The Nikon z9 is a *very* difficult act to follow, and there is also a possibility that Sony could launch a true professional gripped body.

I'm suggesting that the longer we go without seeing an R5s it will seem more and more likely there will be no R5s, in much the same way there was no 7D mark III, only a 90D that was both an upgrade from the 80D in some respects and a slight downgrade from the 7D Mark II in others. Now the R7 is the mirrorless equivalent of the 90D/80D/7D Mark II. Except in this case the R1 is going to be all upgrade from the 5Ds and the 1D X Mark III, as well as from the R5/R5 Mark II and R3.

Think about it. The 7D was released in late 2009. The 7D Mark II was 5 years later in late 2014. The 90D hit the market in late 2019 right on schedule. As far as the Marketing Department was concerned, the 90D was the 7D Mark II replacement, and the 7D Mark II went out of stock very shortly after the 90D arrived.

The only 5Ds ever offered (available concurrently either with or without an effective low pass filter) was released in 2015. Here it is 8 years later and there has been no 5Ds Mark II nor an R5s camera. Instead, the 2020 R5 is almost the same resolution as the 2015 5Ds was. In many ways the R5 was a huge upgrade from the 5D Mark IV and the 5Ds, but also a slight downgrade in terms of resolution to the 5Ds. Better low-pass filter technology means the R5 can capture as much subject detail with 45MP as the 5Ds (at least the one with a low pass filter) did with 50MP. The R5, and soon the upcoming R5 Mark II, already is the replacement for both the 5D Mark IV and the 5Ds.

This decision to make the top "flagship" more of a studio/fashion/landscape camera than a sports/reportage camera is driven by the fact that there are far fewer agencies and media organizations buying flagship camera bodies now than there were even a decade ago. Most of the high level pros shooting sports and journalism today are freelancers who must provide their own gear, and the economics of the times dictate that they are not upgrading to the latest, greatest bodies in droves. In many cases they are only making pennies on the dollar compared to when they were full time staffers with gear provided by their employers. They're shooting with what they already have until it falls apart. Then they're making do with the cheapest gear that can do the job. Canon can't even seem to give away the last of the brand new 1D X Mark II bodies at the current price of $3,000 in the U.S.

Canon seems to see that the largest part of the market for "flagship" bodies such as the 1-Series are no longer full-time staffers shooting sports and photojournalism using gear provided by their employers. It has shifted to well-heeled semi-pros (who may support their photography habit with a high-paying non-photo related job while spending nights and weekends shooting for peanuts or even nothing except sideline access to the nearest NFL, NBA, NHL, or MLB team) and rich enthusiasts who shoot purely for their own enjoyment. Thus a sports and reportage oriented camera is no longer the halo product at the top of the heap.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
The 1 series have tended to have dual processors. This would provide the processor bandwidth compared to the current R5/R3 Digic X limits.
Assuming that parallel processing can be done and thermal load spread across a 1 series body then on-the-fly binning or raw sensor output could be possible.
Taking the 1DXiii's 16pfs mechanical shutter and 40fps electronic shutter with no bit depth penalty and the Z9 has good competition even at a significantly higher price.
Dual CFe type B cards would be needed to minimise buffer throttling with a high megapixel sensor.

The dual image processors only began with the introduction of the 1D X in 2012 that merged the APS-H 1D and FF 1Ds Series. Canon touted it pretty loudly at the time that processing speed had finally caught up and there was no longer a need to have two 1-Series bodies due to the necessity of choosing between fast but with lower resolution or higher resolution but considerably slower.

(In reality, with hindsight, I think they saw the handwriting on the wall regarding the coming gradual decline of dedicated camera sales which peaked in 2012 - the same year the 1D X was rolled out - following the introduction of the iPhone in 2007 and the rapid adoption of smart phones as the camera of choice by the masses. They also saw how print journalism was massively hemorrhaging readers and revenue 10-15 years ago and laying off tens of thousands of photographers that would no longer have a need for flagship bodies supplied by many of those soon to be defunct or severely downsized publications.)

I don't think any of the 1D or 1Ds bodies had dual processors. The first few didn't even have dual card slots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
What I'm suggesting is that it appears more and more likely that the longer we go without seeing an R5s is there will be no R5s, in much the same way there was no 7D mark III, only a 90D the was both an upgrade from the 80D in some respects and a slight downgrade from the 7D Mark II in others. Now the R7 is the mirrorless equivalent of the 90D/80D/7D Mark II. Except in this case the R1 is going to be all upgrade from the 5Ds and the 1D X Mark III, as well as from the R5/R5 Mark II and R3.
I think we agree - effectively the R5ii will *be* the R5s (or vice versa) - it's just a case of which name Canon choose for the camera. Personally I think they're more likely to call it R5s, to emphasise that it has a) higher resolution and b) significantly higher spec and performance than R5.

I don't think the resolution will be mind-boggling, probably only around 60MP, which would enable burst rates to be kept high, and a decent buffer.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I would also add that current users of 1DXiii would probably make the switch to the R1/R mount when released. This would be ~4 year lifecycle from the Feb-2020 ship date of the mark iii. I would imagine that 1DXii users would have moved to R3.

For the pricing question, the current rebate on R3 would help put a reasonable gap/segmentation for the R5/3/1. Canon won't chase Nikon's Z9 pricing though. The A1 is already 2 years since its shipping date.

USD3900 R5ii comes out at the original price of R5
USD5600 R3 current price with rebates
USD6500 R1 same as 1DXiii on release and Sony A1

Those 3 plus the R6ii are pretty compelling offers from Canon for the top end of bodies!

I'll be VERY surprised if the R1 debuts at less than $6,999 in the U.S and expect more like $7,499-$7,999. It all depends on how crazy they decide to make it, though. I think they are going to swing for the fences with this one.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I think we agree - effectively the R5ii will *be* the R5s (or vice versa) - it's just a case of which name Canon choose for the camera. Personally I think they're more likely to call it R5s, to emphasise that it has a) higher resolution and b) significantly higher spec and performance than R5.

I don't think the resolution will be mind-boggling, probably only around 60MP, which would enable burst rates to be kept high, and a decent buffer.

A 60MP R5 will almost certainly be named the R5 Mark II to go against the Sony α7r series, currently at 61MP. It will need to be around 80MP or more to be named R5s. I think the only 80MP+ camera from Canon in the near future is going to be named the R1. We'll see which, if either of us, is correct in about a year or so.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
What I'm suggesting is that it appears more and more likely that the longer we go without seeing an R5s is there will be no R5s
We didn’t see the 5Ds until after the MkIII of the 5-series DSLRs. We didn’t see an APS-C EOS R until 4 years after the line launched. I don’t buy the ‘we won’t see it because we haven’t seen it yet’ argument.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
We didn’t see the 5Ds until after the MkIII of the 5-series DSLRs. We didn’t see an APS-C EOS R until 4 years after the line launched. I don’t buy the ‘we won’t see it because we haven’t seen it yet’ argument.

I'm not saying we absolutely will not see it. I'm saying the longer we go without seeing an R5s the less likely it will be, it seems to me, that we'll see it anytime in the foreseeable future.

Regarding the first APS-C EOS R body not appearing until just under four years after the EOS R, the existence and sales success of the APS-C EOS M line certainly played a factor in that timing. The M6 Mark II strongly hinted that Canon was toying with leaving APS-C, even at the enthusiast level, in the EOS M line and making the RF line FF only. You certainly read the tea leaves that way, and strongly berated anyone who merely suggested Canon would ever introduce an R7. How many times did the word "unicorn" appear in your comments regarding a potential R7 type camera? Then an M5 Mark II failed to materialize and the M6 Mark II quietly stepped into the deep shadows, being fully discontinued in some markets and remaining available but not promoted at all in others.

In the case of the 5D series, though, there was a real line of demarcation between the 5D and 5D Mark II, with many consumer level features (like the lackluster - even in bright light - AF system that could not focus at all in slightly dim light, much less in true low light) and the 2012 5D Mark III which was for all practical purposes the replacement for the 1Ds Mark III in a non 1-series form factor. The 1D X was rolled out and the 1Ds Mark III discontinued at the same time the new 5D Mark III prompted Uncle Roger to say:

"This is no minor upgrade camera; it’s an entirely new camera using the old camera’s name. And it’s better—in every way. After just a few hours with it (30 minutes of which was a lesson from Tim about using the autofocus system) this camera has grown on me like salmonella on room temperature chicken. I absolutely love it and have set aside my 5D II for good. - January, 2013"

A few months later in his epic blog post Autofocus Reality Part 3B he remarked:

"Despite my well-recognized modesty, I will also point out that when the 5D Mk III was first released, and Canon fanboys were dropping off cliffs right and left, I said 'the 5D III is no minor-upgrade camera; it’s an entirely new camera using the old camera’s name'. Its autofocus system is certainly not a minor upgrade–it’s moved over to the big-boy camera side."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
The mention of Gerald Undone makes me think this is about DR in video. And in that case, he is correct. The R5C allows shooting in CLOG2, which has a gamma curve that captures more dynamic range than CLOG3 (or regular non-log). The regular R5 doesn't allow CLOG2, only CLOG3.

You are correct that both share the same sensor and in stills mode, shooting RAW, you will get identical DR. But the R5-non-C captures and stores video in such a way that it limits the video DR. On top of that, video DR is measured in a different way than still DR, which complicates discussions even more.

Also, Gerald is very clear in his review that the difference in video DR isn't due to the sensor, but caused by the available log profiles.
Hmmm.....I'm wondering why there hasn't bee a "Magic Lantern" fix for the R5 to allow it to do all the R5C does....?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hmmm.....I'm wondering why there hasn't bee a "Magic Lantern" fix for the R5 to allow it to do all the R5C does....?
Not enough experienced people working on it. There has been some progress on R series cameras, but not much. The intersection of people with enough experience/skill that have access to the camera and are motivated enough is quite small.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
<snip>

Given how good the R3 is, and how much extra a R1 would cost, I'm puzzled by what the later might offer, that could be justified economically by potential purchasers. It's quite feasible that Canon have put the R1 on hold, and will only release it after a lot more necessary development. The Nikon z9 is a *very* difficult act to follow, and there is also a possibility that Sony could launch a true professional gripped body.
For the R1 and the win....maybe "global shutter"?
C

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
For the R1 and the win....maybe "global shutter"?
C
Global shutter would be a technical win for Canon, but most current opinion that I've read says that readout speeds with electronic shutter on the latest generation of sensors is sufficient to make rolling shutter a non-issue. What practical benefits (other than eliminating rolling shutter) would global shutter provide? Would it e.g. enable flash sync at all shutter speeds? I'm unclear as to the pros and cons versus a high performance stacked sensor and conventional electronic shutter.

Upvote 0
The dual image processors only began with the introduction of the 1D X in 2012 that merged the APS-H 1D and FF 1Ds Series. Canon touted it pretty loudly at the time that processing speed had finally caught up and there was no longer a need to have two 1-Series bodies due to the necessity of choosing between fast but with lower resolution or higher resolution but considerably slower.

(In reality, with hindsight, I think they saw the handwriting on the wall regarding the coming gradual decline of dedicated camera sales which peaked in 2012 - the same year the 1D X was rolled out - following the introduction of the iPhone in 2007 and the rapid adoption of smart phones as the camera of choice by the masses. They also saw how print journalism was massively hemorrhaging readers and revenue 10-15 years ago and laying off tens of thousands of photographers that would no longer have a need for flagship bodies supplied by many of those soon to be defunct or severely downsized publications.)

I don't think any of the 1D or 1Ds bodies had dual processors. The first few didn't even have dual card slots.
So, there has been >10 years of precedence for dual processors in 1 series bodies and that Canon has experience in managing parallel processing in SW and could theoretically do the same for any future body depending on thermal issues.

Upvote 0
the question would be "why"? Magic Lantern opened up the 5Diii to provide its real capabilities but it needed to reverse engineer the processor. It is now a couple of generations behind and the benefits for users would be low compared to just buying a R5C. Of course, it would be serious kudos for them to crack the Digic X frimware.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Not enough experienced people working on it. There has been some progress on R series cameras, but not much. The intersection of people with enough experience/skill that have access to the camera and are motivated enough is quite small.

They all got jobs working for big tech for the past several years. Maybe with all of the massive bloodletting staff cuts at big tech (hyperbole - the number of coder job openings continues to be much larger than the number of coders recently laid off by big tech) more of them will again have spare time to do volunteer work on it?

Upvote 0