Canon EOS R5 pricing in Europe may have leaked [CR2]

Canon 5D Mark III launch price = 3300 euros
Canon 5D Mark IV launch price = 4100 euros
Canon 5R launch price = 4500€

That's a pretty steep curve imho and not one I enjoy watching.
"Listen, grandson, if you don't put me in a nursing home, I will give you 10.000€ so you can buy that Canon R5 Mark 10. And here are 400€ for the two Canon lens caps you need."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That is true for most other goods, but according to my own observation, cameras and lenses tend to be slightly cheaper in
the Netherlands than in Germany. I bought most of my equipment at foka.nl. (I'm a German living in NL. I wouldn't hesitate a moment to go shopping "at home")
After cameras became special collector's items, prices are high and pretty much the same everywhere. The variance in the price of the EOS R for example is +/-100 EUR across Germany and the Netherlands. Too little to worry about anyway...

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020

But is that increase due to change in value of the Euro or increased VAT taxes? It does not necessarily mean Canon has increased there price at that same rate. For that evaluation, you have to look at the introduction price at other stable countries.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
The 4500 Euro includes VAT. You have to subtract that before converting to $.
It is not how pricing works internationally. the same product can be priced US$3500 in USA and 3500 British pounds in UK. Conversion rate not always applicable here. It’s is a bit more complicated than that. It depends on local cost, size of the market overheads promotional discounting and territory strategy / planing.
it also depends on local market conditions. hope it explains.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Will be very interesting to see how this predicted price translates into Australian dollars.... It will be very hard to justify if it's over $6000 here
Agree. Canon 1dx III being offered at around A$10,500.00 by major retailers.
A$6000 Canon R5 is likely... unfortunately. At least initially.
I am not buying at this price. Will be on lookout for a mint local copy in about 6 months down the track. Cameras aren’t an investment. I can get by with a slightly used one instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

5DsR was 4249 euros.

but it also comes down to currency exchange -- as is the theory with the USD pricing, these are import prices that are highly influenced by the currency exchanges.

Upvote 0
Someone can’t afford it.

Then prioritize basic needs over a discretionary purchase. Canon aren’t in the business of social welfare programs. Don’t like the price, buy something else. Simple.

It's not about being able to afford it, it's not about charity.

It's about the business side of things. I don't understand why, considering the current global economic climate, they would position something I'm sure they want everyone to buy at a price point 10% higher than before.

Researcher - 'Millions of people are losing their jobs, affordability is low, most professional photographers have had months worth of jobs cancelled and they've not had an income for months'.

Canon - 'Thanks, in light of this it makes sense to put the price up to $4000 before sales tax'

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
We're in the midst of a global recession, record unemployment, possible depression coming and lots of people struggling to meet their basic bills yet Canon decides to jump the shark.

Amazing.
This is the strangest malapropism I've seen in a long time. How did Canon produce an episode featuring an over the top stunt that really just illustrated their irrelevance?
Did you think that 5 or so years ago when the R series was starting development that Canon should have known there would be a pandemic in 2020?

• Haha
Upvote 0
It's about the business side of things. I don't understand why, considering the current global economic climate, they would position something I'm sure they want everyone to buy at a price point 10% higher than before.

Researcher - 'Millions of people are losing their jobs, affordability is low, most professional photographers have had months worth of jobs cancelled and they've not had an income for months'.

Canon - 'Thanks, in light of this it makes sense to put the price up to $4000 before sales tax'

you answered your own question - it's the business side of things.

Canon isn't a charity - a ton of people have to make a profit off that camera and not just "Canon Inc.".. Canon Japan, Canon Subsidurary, Distribution channels, Marketing companies, and oh yeah, the end retailer that has to actually sell it. Not to mention a sizeable chunk of that is taxes ($900 euros!)

And I'm curious how you would have foreseen Canon to position this - a camera that probably took them 3-4 years to develop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
You don't understand Americans. We want to know how much tax we are paying and always rebel against buried taxes.
Yes. We will gripe to no end about taxes and then not complain at all about year after year trillions in deficits... even heralding such spenders as fiscal conservatives. Stupid lot, we are. It seems labels matter to us far more than reality. One team does it and it’s the end of the world. The other team does exactly the same and it’s all fine... because the label. Go team! Puff, pufff, pass. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I'm pretty amazed by this comment unless of course you just emerged from BioSphere 2. Are you truly not aware at the way thing work and have worked?

Are you not aware how things work in the rest of the world? I'm not from the US (but a frequent visitor) - and yes, I've been to BioSphere 2 in Arizona!

Upvote 0