Canon EOS R5 pricing in Europe may have leaked [CR2]

Nov 1, 2012
0% on digital photo cameras. At the moment, 1.6% on video camera recorders (those that can record video for more than 30 minutes continuously; used to be much higher in the past).

I didn't mean by the country/state tax institution, I meant by the companies. All electronic manufacturers seems to add 5-10% on electronics just because it's Europe.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Yes, but then you are obliget to pay a VAT locally, at your country, right after the import, not to mention some possible customs duties, or you are simply breaking a law. In CZ, VAT is 21%.

UGH...I could NOT deal with that.

My state and local stales tax for purchases here is just a bit shy of 10%...and to me, that's too much.

21%? No freakin' way.....I know better what to do with my money that the government.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
UGH...I could NOT deal with that.

My state and local stales tax for purchases here is just a bit shy of 10%...and to me, that's too much.

21%? No freakin' way.....I know better what to do with my money that the government.

Finland 24% at the moment. When I was living there, I believe it was 22%.

But that wasn't all. I think they changed the car tax laws, but my time you take the car tax free value and add sales tax (22%), and then you added "special car sales tax" on that combined total (so you paid tax on the tax part too). And guess how much that special car tax was? Depends on car, but good estimate/average was 100%. So take car ~$20k, add 22% and you have 24.4k. Add 100% on that, you get 48.8k.

And people wonder why the average car was old POS in Finland. Taxation was making it impossible for normal people to buy new cars. And don't get me started on income tax brackets... I laugh when people here in Usa complain about tax brackets. And fuel (for cars), around 200-300% tax. There's things I miss from Finland. Taxes is not one of those things.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
We have been in Photography and Filming since early '30ies.. During those years the very refined material was German, camera bodies and lenses, Rollei, Leica, Linhof, Zeiss and the kind..
Let's do some considerations about pricing..
For a young Photographer willing to start his career or a Professional who wants update his camera set will be needed 2 bodies, 2 flashes, 2 Battery Packs and I would say 3 or 4 lenses NOT including the very costly superzoom f.2,8 or f.4. Therefore we have (assuming USD almost same of EURO)
2 bodies at 4.500 each = 9.000
2 flashes at 500 each = 1.000
2 Battery Packs 300 each = 600
3 L Lenses at average 2.000 each = 6.000
Total around 17.000

Cards will be graciouly offered from dealer..

Here in Europe you can buy a medium down to little City car with that money or give a down deposit to start your mortgage for your house.. This correspondes exactly to the value of Cameras and Lenses value of before WWII or during the Golden Age of Photography during '50ies and '60ies. During those years the decision to be taken was from buying a car and becoming a cab driver or start as photographer / paparazzi / fashion studio..

BUT the camera and lenses were Rollei, Leica, Linhof and later Hasselblad which of all the precision and reliability were just great and we all know..
Canon R 5 - given will be built with perfect precision - is not a *mechanical* Camera, is a complicated software into a shell, BUT we know that Software doesnt cost as assembling perfectly those cameras I named above.
CANON r 5 is badly overpriced
The right price for a tool like that would be around 2.800 in today world economy. I don't ask Canon to be a charity Fund but I dont want my legs pulled

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
BUT the camera and lenses were Rollei, Leica, Linhof and later Hasselblad which of all the precision and reliability were just great and we all know..
Canon R 5 - given will be built with perfect precision - is not a *mechanical* Camera, is a complicated software into a shell, BUT we know that Software doesnt cost as assembling perfectly those cameras I named above.
Oh, really?

Which of those Leicas/Rolleis can shoot 12 fps with a *mechanical* shutter?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
The sense of my post was NOT on the very special features of today cameras compared to those of past
Your post was about "precision mechanics" of some camera brands as opposed to Canon R5's.

lasting 50 years but on how similar the investment of past is the today one .. Will Canon R 5 last for the next 75 years ?
Personally, I have zero interest in collectibles. I prefer to use a camera for taking pictures with it.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
My guess is Canon ramped up EOS R5 timeline about 15mins after the less than favorable EOS R reception. The heavy lifting was done with EOS R and RP. The new mount was designed and the general shape and construction was there already. I would also guess tge majority of the minor components will be shared with R, RP, R5 and R6
I suspect that the R5 sensor, the DIGIC X processor and IBIS were in development for quite a while. I doubt that the market reception of the R had any effect on R5 development.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I suspect that the R5 sensor, the DIGIC X processor and IBIS were in development for quite a while. I doubt that the market reception of the R had any effect on R5 development.

I mostly agree with that, but I keep thinking about the touch bar on the R and the optical joystick on the 1Dx3. Why is the R the only Canon body with a touch bar and why does the 1dx3 have the optical joystick, but not the R5?

Upvote 0
"Your post was about "precision mechanics" of some camera brands as opposed to Canon R5's."
No, you should read what is written - not what you instead would like to read..
Canon R5 is insanely overpriced once you set up a minimum of professional set. 2 bodies, 2 flashes and so on..
This very starting professional set has the same cost of excellent - very long lasting cameras as Leicas, Rolleis, Hasselblads that needed a highly skilled mounting capabilities. Canon R5 is built in much different way - the high price paid is mostly for the software. Within a 2 year-time Canon R 5 will need a mark 2 update and your investment will be thrown out of windows. Canon R5 real price as a good tool for photographers and not for uppish - limited income week end amateurs should be around 2500 tax included. When Canon was producing EOS 1 V was also producing EOS 3 and EOS A2e, the 1st cost 65%, the 2nd 45% of EOS 1V and they were excellent cameras, fast AF and long lasting and precise shutter..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
"Your post was about "precision mechanics" of some camera brands as opposed to Canon R5's."
No, you should read what is written - not what you instead would like to read..
It doesn't work this way.

What is written is a sequence of letters.
What I try to read is some coherent message behind this sequence.
Preferably, somehow based on the observable reality.

Canon R5 is insanely overpriced once you set up a minimum of professional set. 2 bodies, 2 flashes and so on..
I don't know what makes you think so.

Besides, if you don't need all that extra hardware functionality of R5, you can get yourself an R6. Which will still be better than the "classic" 5DII, and will likely cost less than that one used to cost at the introduction.

This very starting professional set has the same cost of excellent - very long lasting cameras as Leicas, Rolleis, Hasselblads that needed a highly skilled mounting capabilities.
I don't understand this claim.

Are you saying that you bring two Rolleis to your photo assignments?

Or do you claim that you could do the job with one Rollei body, and the same job would require two R5 bodies? Can you name that Rollei body? Is it Rolleidoscop or what?

Or are you trying to compare apples and oranges?

Canon R5 is built in much different way - the high price paid is mostly for the software.
What makes you think so? Especially as we have already established that R5 is superior in its mechanical specs to these ones?

Within a 2 year-time Canon R 5 will need a mark 2 update and your investment will be thrown out of windows. Canon R5 real price as a good tool for photographers and not for uppish - limited income week end amateurs should be around 2500 tax included.
What kind of photographic profession are you in if you change your cameras every 2 years?

Is it Sony "ambassador"?

Or is it some sort of private glamour photography where your clients care more about how your camera looks like than how your photos look like?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
It doesn't work this way.

What is written is a sequence of letters.
What I try to read is some coherent message behind this sequence.
Preferably, somehow based on the observable reality.

I don't know what makes you think so.

Besides, if you don't need all that extra hardware functionality of R5, you can get yourself an R6. Which will still be better than the "classic" 5DII, and will likely cost less than that one used to cost at the introduction.

I don't understand this claim.

Are you saying that you bring two Rolleis to your photo assignments?

Or do you claim that you could do the job with one Rollei body, and the same job would require two R5 bodies? Can you name that Rollei body? Is it Rolleidoscop or what?

Or are you trying to compare apples and oranges?

What makes you think so? Especially as we have already established that R5 is superior in its mechanical specs to these ones?

What kind of photographic profession are you in if you change your cameras every 2 years?

Is it Sony "ambassador"?

Or is it some sort of private glamour photography where your clients care more about how your camera looks like than how your photos look like?

1- I like this debate over nothing while you Kit trying to steer the sense of my post - the cost of a Canon R 5 minimal professional set compared to mechanic camera of past - while the 1st will last until Canon different decision, the 2nd we still have it..
BTW Canon seems give me reason when says " R 6 will be priced for a lot more shooters" -
between lines we understand R 5 is highly overpriced..
2 - About the witty joke if I bring 2 Rolleis - you know already the answer - is yes for B&N and Colour and back up Camera
3- Abot changing material every 2 years.. When you have Hasselblad H 6 and Linhof Techno and Canon - and now we look at Fuji medium size you can be sure that every 3 years there will be a new expense in camera, lenses or software. Let me guess - you have only one camera brand and you do everithing with that.. This is fine but versatile photograpers need the right tool
4- About the photography we are in .. you got very close when you tried to be funny mentioning "private glamour.. " - anyway still, industry, fashion and Movies - we dont do weddings - very little news as we instead did in the past

Kit - there is no worse deaf of those who do not want to hear

So tonight you will go to bed with this convictio: Mauro didn't want to argue about how would last Canon R 5 but how expensive is a pro set - same price of very lasting cameras of the past that were made to last almost forever - Will Canon R5 last forever ?

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Unless I am uninformed, tax is collected by every major online retailer now regardless if they have a physical store within your state. Exception may be those states without a state sales tax like Oregon.

No, not always....you can still get stuff with no tax charged by the online dealer, but that window is rapidly shrinking.

Upvote 0