Canon EOS R5 Specifications

snappy604

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 25, 2017
Canon never made a D6, to my knowledge.

Perhaps you are thinking of the D60?

yeah ... might have been, recall the naming scheme was different. Luckily I still have it.. so I can check when I get home. My only problem is the dates don't match.. it was bought for a wedding in 2001 and that doc indicates 2002.

Upvote 0
Ain't she a beaut?
  • Biomimetic gimbal design -- 10 stops IBIS for sure
  • It's a drone, too
  • Two lenses --> sees in 3D
  • Battery life extreme provided you brought snacks
  • It may will poop on you
  • Minimal eye strain unless you try to try to look through its rear 'viewfinder', in which case it plucks out your eyes
  • Image transfer technology still being worked out
  • Your $3500 investment may fly off into the hands of a Sony owner
- A
10 stops? I think that IBIS will be anything from 0-stops to infinity, depending on attention span.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I think the transition will happen much quicker than 10 years simply due to lenses. In the shrinking ILC camera market all manufacturers have to rationalize costs and having to support two distinct lens lines for that length of time does not make economic sense.
Whether it makes sense to maintain two lines depends on whether they can max profit by maintaining two lines. Canon is going to have to figure that out. We can't.

Upvote 0
But Canon already has thrown in the towel on the EF mount - they are only working on R glass and have said so. So if I'm a photographer looking for a new camera, why would I buy into obsolecense?

I expect a few more R lenses this year including smaller F4 variants. So say there are a total of 15 R lenses by end of year. Yet if I buy a DSLR, I have no access to any of them. No chance of ever buying the compact 70-200 2.8.

Yet if I have an extensive EF lens collection, I can still use them seamlessly with a very compact adapter on an R mount camera.

This is obviously what Canon's game plan is. That is why to me it makes no sense to make a new 5D when they are about to announce the R5. I predict that the R5 is the new 5D.

How much better do you want the EF lenses to be? Are they not meeting your requirements? In what way are they lacking? I really am curious.

In some applications OVF's and long battery life trump increased specifications on a sheet. I have no issues with mirrorless, but I have mentioned this before and I will mention it again, why do mirrorless proponents get so angry over the existence of cameras with mirrors? You act as tough they cannot coexist. I envision a day where my 1dx3 and probably a high mp R camera live in harmony each doing their designated task to perfection, wildlife / action and landscape respectively.

Just because I choose to own a camera with a mirror it should not diminish your enjoyment of your mirrorless model.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
How much better do you want the EF lenses to be? Are they not meeting your requirements? In what way are they lacking? I really am curious.

1) I don't have as many of them as I would like;
2) They don't have that extra control ring that I keep bumping and throwing off my ISO setting;
3) that is all.

Yes, the adapter on the R is a bit of a pain, but the EF lenses I have are all fantastic and my main body is a 1DXii, so I don't see getting rid of any of them any time soon. I have no interest in any of the trinity RF lenses as my EF versions do all I need and more on both EF and RF bodies.

My primary RF interest is in the any new lenses the RF flange spacing allows. Holding out for the 70-135mm f/2 and/or the 135mm f/1.4.

I am jonesing a bit for the RF 85mm f/1.2 though, even though I have the EF 85mm f/1.4 IS.

Upvote 0
Got this email yesterday:

Canon to launch upgraded CANON iMAGE GATEWAY service

We are pleased to inform you that in March 2020, Canon will substantially revamp its existing CANON iMAGE GATEWAY online photography service, strengthen its connectivity and compatibility with products and other services, and provide services to help customers manage and use their images.

The revamped service will have a new name and improved functions – we will share further details with you in February 2020. To make way for this service, we will close the current CANON iMAGE GATEWAY service in mid March 2020 and later that month all of your image files and albums will be available for access with the upgraded service, so that you can experience the new benefits it will provide.

We would like to thank you for your continued support - we’re excited to show you a new future and enhanced imaging experience with Canon.

———

With the 5G Wi-Fi in the R5 I’m hoping we’ll have a cloud storage solution that is a seamless backup in camera like a smartphone. That way the 2nd card slot doesn't have to be redundant and can be used for larger storage and still backed up

Upvote 0

In some applications OVF's and long battery life trump increased specifications on a sheet. I have no issues with mirrorless, but I have mentioned this before and I will mention it again, why do mirrorless proponents get so angry over the existence of cameras with mirrors? You act as tough they cannot coexist. I envision a day where my 1dx3 and probably a high mp R camera live in harmony each doing their designated task to perfection, wildlife / action and landscape respectively.

Just because I choose to own a camera with a mirror it should not diminish your enjoyment of your mirrorless model.

I have in fact owned Canon DSLRs since 2003 and would love for them to coexist with mirrorless. I still don't own a mirrorless camera. I am merely pointing out my prediction for Canon and giving reasons why I think we are quite quickly nearing the end of Canon DSLR lifecycle -quicker than many here think.

I have an economics background and having two separate lens lineups for essentially the same camera (one being mirrorless, the other DSLR) makes no economic sense.

Canon is finally coming out with the mirrorless body worthy of their professional grade R lenses. At some point (when they judge that there is enough market penetration for the cameras) they will cease production of the EF version of the R lenses.

Thom Hogan has a good article on his site discussing how the number of lens mounts by the major companies have to be reduced significantly in the very near future given the extremely tough market conditions in the industry. Some companies won't survive.

I expect that Canon will survive but they will have to make much tougher business decisions with regards to their product lineup than they used to when the market was much stronger. And that will unfortunately alienate some customers.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Kit Lens Jockey

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 12, 2016
Goodness knows what they were dangling in front of that bird to lock its attention so.

Treats work for our dogs, but what is the treat dangler for a hawk? A mouse, maybe? :sick:

- A
Birds like that can't move their eyes much, so they compensate by keeping their head still so they can have clear vision. Humans are able to move our eyes much more. So to achieve clear, non-shaky vision, we stabilize our eyes rather than our whole head.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yet you still insist that 1.5ev is a difficult shadow push and that ~1ev difference between the 5D4 and best Sony/Nikon bodies is large. It's not large, it's a processing adjustment.
You simply can't eliminate the DR difference by making adjustments (moreover the DR is often measured by making exposure adjustments). There always will be a range in shadows (or highlights) that's recoverable on D850 and not recoverable on 5DIV. And that range gets bigger on 7D.

I have tons of images from my old 70D (which performs slightly better than 7D but overall very close to 7D at each ISO value) and the shadows are unbearable compared to 5DIV. The noise is visible right away and recoverability is significantly worse than on 5DIV.

So unless Canon is going to introduce something truly new in their sensor circuitry, the R5 sensor is going to deliver ~13.6ev. And if you process the DPAF data properly you find the circuitry is actually capable of ~14.6. (Again, DxO methodology.)

As above, there's no practical way at the moment to properly recover DPAF data. So I'm not sure if anyone can actually measure what 5DIV sensor is capable of after 'processing DPAF data properly'.
Also I don't trust DxO at all, as a 14 bit sensor can't deliver more than 14 stops.

But Canon is slowly making progress in reducing the read noise which indicates they do know about the problem and do try improving on it. Unfortunately the progress is moderate and in crop sensors only.

As to the small pixels vs big pixels I've already responded, A7RIV has a poorer performance than A7RIII, presumably it has the same design but smaller pixels.
In Canon, I don't even know what to take for comparison.

Upvote 0
In what way is the Sony A7RIV worse than the A7RIII in the real world other than for file size?

It wasn't about the real world - most of this thread isn't about the real world either btw :)
It was about smaller pixels having pooper dynamic range than larger pixels. A7RIII and A7RIV sensors are (presumably) based on the similar design and are produced by the same manufacturer, but A7RIV has smaller pixels which is reflected in slightly worse DR performance.

Look, I know some people will now show me a load of maths to prove thier point however, this doesn't alter the fact I just don't see any negatives in real photos given the extra 20MP.

I totally agree, but my post wasn't about real photos. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Who else had or has plans to buy into the RF body system yet keep their EF glass and potentially not buy RF lenses for quite some time? (or ever...I have 3 expensive hobbies and I can't make the others jealous too often) I really like my collection of Canon lenses and none of the RF's do anything for me focal length wise. This may change ;)

I have an R and will definitely upgrade to an R5, but the only RF lens I bought, and the only RF lenses I will likely get in the near future are the unicorns (RF 28-70mm f/2). My EF lenses work perfectly on the R, so no reason to duplicated them.

Upvote 0