Canon EOS R5 Specifications

I tried the R and the RP. The lag was horrible and the view of moving subjects was blurry. Both crushed blacks and blew out whites.

What are people like me who greatly value instant feedback supposed to do when these EVFs are so unusable for us?

Sounds like you might have had the EVF set to power saving mode. I think it comes set like this by default, once I changed it it was great as far as lag and trails are concerned. It’s definitely a little too contrasty for my taste but nothing that totally ruins an image for me or anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Sounds like you might have had the EVF set to power saving mode. I think it comes set like this by default, once I changed it it was great as far as lag and trails are concerned. It’s definitely a little too contrasty for my taste but nothing that totally ruins an image for me or anything.

When i pointed it at a window in the store, the entirety of the outside was white. When I looked under a desk, the entire area was solid black.

Upvote 0
Way up this chain I mentioned a few possible caveats to these specs. 4k120 wont come without an extreme crop factor AND likely will be EXTERNAL only because of the heat issue. The 30MP EOS R and 5D4 sensor does 1:1 4K at a 1.75x crop. Going to 45MP, it gets even crazier. Your 35mm lens will now be 100mm. IF IF IF IF Canon manages to get a FF readout at THAT resolution (45MP) at even 60fps it would be something special. The Sony A7R3 is 42MP and can't break 30fps and that's using a low-rent garbage codec internally. Even externally its at 30fps. And that's FF readout. The unreleased A7R4 is on the way with 60MP+ and that records 4K in an oversampled crop APS-C in 6K that compresses down to 4K. THAT tops out at 30fps. IF IF IF Canon has managed to beat THAT spec EVEN WITH A CROP... it's astonishing. So maaaaaaaaybe Canon gets APS-C at 4k60 (downsampled from a 6k sensor area like the sony), but there's no flipping way at 4k120, which means 1:1 pixel readout for that which would be a staggering crop factor. WHICH IS FINE considering it can even do it. You just wont be able to do wide shots because even a 16mm lens would still put you at about 40mm equivalent in that crop.
Ah, I didnt considered this. The idea of an insane crop to simply use 1:1 sensor readout indeed sounds very much like canon :) I guess IF Canon realy offers these insane resolutions/framerates, it will come certainly with a lot of strange caveats. DPAF is also very likely to be not available.

But somehow its still hard to belive that they will offer 4k120. time will tell.

All I want:
More than 30mpixel
4k60 on Fullframe with DPAF
Dual Card Slot.
If they also include IBIS, it would be incredible great and an instant buy :) <3

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I agree R5 seems like a consolidation camera (R/5D4+5DsR)...

Well, I believe Canon Rumors Guy has said that a 5D V is also planned for this year so I would expect we will see this same sensor in the next 5D generation. Canon is not ready to abandon the 5D just yet.

Upvote 0
I have to agree with Lee, I have tweaked every possible setting for my EVF and it still falls very far behind my friend's A-9. THAT camera is a joy to use in bright sun. My R, not so much.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
We're not talking about math, we're talking about language.

My point is that some things can't be analyzed like a mathematical model. Art, I believe, is one of those things, as it is inherently emotional.

I'm respectfully laying down my pen in this discussion.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Ah, I didnt considered this. The idea of an insane crop to simply use 1:1 sensor readout indeed sounds very much like canon :) I guess IF Canon realy offers these insane resolutions/framerates, it will come certainly with a lot of strange caveats. DPAF is also very likely to be not available.

But somehow its still hard to belive that they will offer 4k120. time will tell.

All I want:
More than 30mpixel
4k60 on Fullframe with DPAF
Dual Card Slot.
If they also include IBIS, it would be incredible great and an instant buy :) <3
Well 4k120 is not just a Canon issue. NOBODY has MILC or DSLR body that can pull that off. No one. So even coming with a huge crop factor is still a major advancement. Want more than 30 and IBIS? R5. Want lower MP with IBIS? R6. I'm looking at the R6. I'd much rather have a sensor more compatible with 4K resolutions as any camera I get at this point will be almost exclusively for filming rather than stills. My stills camera library is full up and I dont need any replacements there. Using the EOS R now for video, but I would gladly upgrade to acquire a FF readout from a 20MP sensor. The DX2 gets close at 1.3x crop, but it wont let me get 4k out over HDMI.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have to agree with Lee, I have tweaked every possible setting for my EVF and it still falls very far behind my friend's A-9. THAT camera is a joy to use in bright sun. My R, not so much.

The only other EVF I've used is on my Fuji X100T and it's pretty god awful so I don't doubt that there is better EVFs in the wild that I haven't had the opportunity to try yet. I also agree that where it does have a rough time is in very bright situations. I shot in a white out and what looked overexposed outside was actually underexposed on my computer. But the lag/ trails, not so much an issue. The blackout is but that's something different.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Well, I believe Canon Rumors Guy has said that a 5D V is also planned for this year so I would expect we will see this same sensor in the next 5D generation. Canon is not ready to abandon the 5D just yet.
And I don't want them to! I have a 5D4 like it a lot and plan to upgrade it if a 5D5 is made available. And that 5D5 will also seem like a consolidation of 5D4 and 5DsR. Neven meant to mean end of line for 5D series.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I tried the R and the RP. The lag was horrible and the view of moving subjects was blurry. Both crushed blacks and blew out whites.

What are people like me who greatly value instant feedback supposed to do when these EVFs are so unusable for us?
I hope for a next generation of EOS 5 series (like all of them) just like me. I do believe though that your experience can be improved at least in terms of contrast. Set exposure simulation and also lower the contrast by choosing the neutral picture profile (Actually the last one I learn't it reading this forum).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
My point is that some things can't be analyzed like a mathematical model.

Then you missed the point. The point is not about analyzing art, it's about categorizing photography into one of a few possible terms. My contention is that "art" is the wrong term in which to categorize photography.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Language is about precision. If you can't define the term, the term has no meaning.
Language is about efficiency of communication. Even if you don't know human physiology well enough to be able to define the term "sweetness", for example, the term still has a meaning to you if don't lack sweetness receptors.

The same about the term "pity". And if you are absolutely unable to produce the "thing" in your head before triggering the shutter, I pity you.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

The A9 is the only one I haven't tried. I can't find one in my city. But the A7iii I tried was awful.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Below was a handheld hiking shot at Zion. This is a classic example of 'What I had to do is not good, but it is better than if I didn't do it.' In hindsight, I wouldn't have pushed the shadows so much -- it looks flat as a result.
Hehe. I guess, some people would complain that the image below didn't show enough DR:
1024px-Hovhannes_Aivazovsky_-_The_Ninth_Wave_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg
Not me, though. And I like the original version of your photo more than the "flattened" one.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
Then you missed the point. The point is not about analyzing art, it's about categorizing photography into one of a few possible terms. My contention is that "art" is the wrong term in which to categorize photography.

Sheesh. I promised I was done. No, I get your point. I just disagree. Have a great day.

Upvote 0