Canon EOS R5 Specifications

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
"Although we have launched two full-frame mirrorless cameras as well as ten dedicated lenses, our lineup is still insufficient. In order to recover from our late entry into the mirrorless camera market, we have plans to launch a model that incorporates a newly developed image sensor and image-processing engine that offer even more advanced features. "
Curious if that "model" is going to be the rumoured R5.

Never had a 48MP or 83MP sensor before, so YUP. And this statement is Canon really putting teeth into what they said years back that they were changing the speed at which they react and develop their products. By the end of 2020, Canon will have released a total of 6 RF mount models within a span of about 18-24 months, which is crazy for them (in a good way).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Paradoxically I like this thought maybe because having both 5D4 and EOS R I am used to this combination! Not saying right or wrong just used to it!

It's also possible every ILC Canon makes other than the 1-series gets a tilty-flippy from now on.

The poor PJs need them, too! I see political PJs having the right gear for the Senate/House chambers but end up having to do this in the scrum afterwards. That poor guy's neck -- esp. if he's shooting video!

EPduIypWsAErDZt.jpg

- A

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
My hypothesis is that the R5 is the 5D5 (two cams, same specs), and both will be made available at more or less that $3499 point. I could be wrong.

- A

No, I agree completely. R5 and 5D5 will both happen and be about the same price. I do however believe that the 5D5 will be the final 5D body

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It's also possible every ILC Canon makes other than the 1-series gets a tilty-flippy from now on.

The poor PJs need them, too! I see political PJs having the right gear for the Senate/House chambers but end up having to do this in the scrum afterwards. That poor guy's neck -- esp. if he's shooting video!

View attachment 188422

- A
If the R5 has 20fps or 12fps mechanical they won't need no stinkin' 1D series. They will have flippy screen, mad frame rate and great video.

Upvote 0

tron

Canon Rumors Premium
Nov 8, 2011

View attachment 188422

- A
But even with a tilty-flipy screen wouldn't the guy have to raise the camera that much and look upwards? Maybe he could hold the camera more vertically and frame just a little easier but that's it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
No, I agree completely. R5 and 5D5 will both happen and be about the same price. I do however believe that the 5D5 will be the final 5D body
It seems like a very risky bet but then Canon is conservative enough to make sure they aren't leaving money on the table. Maybe they will intro a 5F film body while they are at it. ;)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
But even with a tilty-flipy screen wouldn't the guy have to raise the camera that much and look upwards? Maybe he could hold the camera more vertically and frame just a little easier but that's it.

You're right, his neck is hosed either way. :unsure:

But he'd be looking normal to / 90d to the screen, at least. He'd have a far better fighting chance to work any touchscreen magic as well.

- A

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Can I provide a hopefully relevant use case here:
I spent 2 weeks traveling in Bali, remote areas taking portraits of Balinese people in their native environment. Not a small project. 800+ portraits taken in 10 days. Now. I ended up with around 2000 frames on my card. The time, effort and Amount of money That I invested in this project is quite substantial.
A card failure in this instance would be a catastrophic event for me. Hence I shoot to both card simultaneously. It does not cost me a thing but provides so much needed redundancy.
I hope it explains.
I understand what you mean, and I apologize for my jokes. But sometimes I just feel so overwhelmed by this growing flood of digital images. In fact, when I go for birding/wildlife in remote areas such as Western Iceland etc. it can happen that I return with a two thousand images on a card from just a single day out there. But I seldom use dual cards despite I have cameras with dual card slots with me (plus e.g. an EOS 3 for film). Maybe I should be more careful, but none of my many Sandisc CF cards has ever failed since 10-15 years I started to use them. The only CF card that died was a Lexar 1000, fortunately not with important images on it, and I never touched any Lexar again since then. But in general, I really try to think more and produce less images. Shooting film in addition to digital media really helps me to get back to the essentials of photography, to think first and then press the button - what most of us have forgotten because of the easyness of digital photography. But, surely, that's my personal take. Everybody is free to find her or his own way.

So, have always good light, and thanks for your story!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
It seems like a very risky bet but then Canon is conservative enough to make sure they aren't leaving money on the table. Maybe they will intro a 5F film body while they are at it. ;)
they would leave a lot of money on the table by NOT making a 5D5. There's still a ton of EF glass out there and it will take a decade or better for pros to fully transition over based on costs alone. They can recycle the SAME body they have used since the 5D3 and slap in the sensor and processing guts of the R5, plus a mirror, pentaprism, and typical DSLR AF system

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
they would leave a lot of money on the table by NOT making a 5D5. There's still a ton of EF glass out there and it will take a decade or better for pros to fully transition over based on costs alone. They can recycle the SAME body they have used since the 5D3 and slap in the sensor and processing guts of the R5, plus a mirror, pentaprism, and typical DSLR AF system

Agree. 1-series and 5-series will live on for some time.

But I'm not certain we'll ever see a 6D3 (probably?), 5DS sequel (50-50), 7D3 (grabs collar nervously), next 90D (prob not), etc. The culling of the mirrors is coming, people.

- A

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
As a landscape photographer who prints large, all these last couple of days have done is get me more and more nervous that a high megapixel model (equal to or North of 7RIV) may not come after all this year :/
As a dedicated landscape photographer I'd really go for medium format for very large prints. If you have 50 MP on a 33mm x 44mm sensor, which is currently the standard of (small) digital medium format, you can work with f = 10+ stops to get a big depth of field without losing too much information due to diffraction blur (I know about what I am talking, I am a physicist). Of course, you can re-sharpen such a softness , but this comes with growing artifacts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Agree. 1-series and 5-series will live on for some time.

But I'm not certain we'll ever see a 6D3 (probably?), 5DS sequel (50-50), 7D3 (grabs collar nervously), next 90D (prob not), etc. The culling of the mirrors is coming, people.

- A
I'm betting NO on a 6D3. I think they also previously signaled NO on a 5DS2. No on 7D3. The 1dx and 5D lines are special animals that their core pro user base is too invested in, hence we will se an extra generation or two of those before they are retired to the Canon Hall of Fame. The 6D 5DS, and 7D all appear to be MILC only lines going forward. At some point we will all the Rebels getting replaced with crop body RF mounts once Canon gets the lower tier RF glass library rounded out, which means we will see am upper priced Crop body RF first I'd imagine (think 90D price range) in order to push the glass introductions, then blast out RF Rebels 6-12 months later. Same as they are doing now with the R

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm betting NO on a 6D3. I think they also previously signaled NO on a 5DS2. No on 7D3. The 1dx and 5D lines are special animals that their core pro user base is too invested in, hence we will se an extra generation or two of those before they are retired to the Canon Hall of Fame. The 6D 5DS, and 7D all appear to be MILC only lines going forward. At some point we will all the Rebels getting replaced with crop body RF mounts once Canon gets the lower tier RF glass library rounded out, which means we will see am upper priced Crop body RF first I'd imagine (think 90D price range) in order to push the glass introductions, then blast out RF Rebels 6-12 months later. Same as they are doing now with the R

But crop RF in a mainstream (read: not 7D) userbase demands smaller/inexpensive crop image circle RF lenses, like what Sony and Nikon are doing: one mount to rule them all, but you don't need $1000+ to buy two non-L RF lenses for the soccer moms/dads to shoot your family vaca.

Do you think they'll really migrate everything to RF? Because if they do, EF-M isn't really needed anymore.

Knowing this, they *could* migrate all Rebel types to EF-M and not bring Rebel products or crop image circles lenses into RF, but they still might sneak the 90D or 7D with a crop-sensored RF body. Let 90D and 7D folks grumble about lens prices and glass their sensor will never see, but keep Rebel folks in very tidy little EF-M ecosystem. Might that work?

- A

Upvote 0

davidhfe

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 9, 2015
+1. They can't backslide, but they sure can stay in neutral -- sometimes deliberately -- to keep pricier things more exciting.

"Let's make a new sensor for the 6D2 with new resolution... but leave out that on-chip hotness to [save cost, protect the 5D4, whatever]. 2008 sensor latitude in a new 2016 product? Nice! Profits high-five time!

But crop sensors that cost much less than the 6D? Whoa now, they need that new sensor hotness. We're not monsters."

- A

The specs don't indicate we're in a 6D2 situation. My bigger point is that the $3000 cameras are all pretty close in terms of real world DR, especially once you leave base iso. Obviously I am hoping that canon managed to find a stop and a half of DR while quadrupling read speed, adding 15mp and holding heat constant. But as long as it's as its any sort of incremental improvement (vs the R, which seems to be slightly worse?) over what the 5D4 offers I don't think it's a huge liability.

The video specs, the lack of IBIS, lack of eye AF and, most importantly, the FPS, are the things where I feel sometimes held back by the 5D4. Any MP and DR improvements are gravy for me, personally, at this point.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
But crop RF in a mainstream (read: not 7D) userbase demands smaller/inexpensive crop image circle RF lenses, like what Sony and Nikon are doing: one mount to rule them all, but you don't need $1000+ to buy two non-L RF lenses for the soccer moms/dads to shoot your family vaca.

Do you think they'll really migrate everything to RF? Because if they do, EF-M isn't really needed anymore.

Knowing this, they *could* migrate all Rebel types to EF-M and not bring Rebel products or crop image circles lenses into RF, but they still might sneak the 90D or 7D with a crop-sensored RF body. Let 90D and 7D folks grumble about lens prices and glass their sensor will never see, but keep Rebel folks in very tidy little EF-M ecosystem. Might that work?

- A
Well thats what I meant when I said lower tier RF glass. Not only RF but (let's call it) RF-C glass, which we will see come with the first Crop body RF (like an 18-55 crop glass kit lens). And yes, I think they will gradually phase out the EF-M. I can't see a reason why they would keep it long term. It's not like they ever really made a LOT of EFM glass anyway, so why start now?

Upvote 0

davidhfe

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 9, 2015

- A

I am really glad I'm not in charge of figure out canon's crop product line. My guess is they haven't figured it out and are waiting for the market to tell them what to do:
- Keep a separate crop system in EF-M, and lose out on seamless upgrades.
- Wring as much out of the EF-S system as possible. $349 DSLRs with $99 kit lenses sold at Costco.
- Get RF FF prices down as much as possible. Launch an RF-S line if they can't get "Costco" prices on full frame gear.

Maybe the Rebel->XXD->6D pipeline is just dead from canon's point of view and they need to focus on margins at the high end and selling a quality system (M) at the low end. Again, I suspect that not even canon has this answer right now.

Upvote 0