Canon EOS R6 announcement moved to July [CR2]

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I wouldn’t mind seeing a higher compression ratio enabled for raw with the handgrip, as I believe that would avoid Red’s patent... meaning Canon could implement this higher compression ratio without fear of legal repercussions from Red.
Why would a handgrip make any difference regarding patent infringement?

Upvote 0
I'm surprised all new camera/lens announcements were not suspended a month ago. If broader retail sales are any indication, everyone in the camera business just got clobbered the last two months, even more than they already were with falling sales, with more pain coming. Releasing new products into this environment is madness.

Upvote 0
The R6 may end up being the better value of the two -- R5 / R6
The R5 looks like it will be the raw cutting edge, but it will come at a price.
The main specs that disappoint me on the R6 are, oddly enough, the lower quality viewfinder and the lower build quality.
The rest of the specs look quite good for my purposes, but of course it will depend on how it is implemented.

I'll still likely go for the R5, this being the last pro body that I will purchase.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
I'm wondering if there is an R5 surprise that allows Canon to sell it at a 5D price point yet still get the bigger dollars for the 8K functionality.

I still think it's a $3499 body, but I would not be shocked at all if there was a one-time service center trip + nasty fee or expensive external bolt-on required to get 8K working. But I haven't obsessed over each wave of announcements -- I don't know if Canon has already stated if that will / will not be the case.

- A

I expect something like this too -- you get the photo-centric features and some basic video features for the base price, and if you want the 8K RAW features you pony up.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
I'm surprised all new camera/lens announcements were not suspended a month ago. If broader retail sales are any indication, everyone in the camera business just got clobbered the last two months, even more than they already were with falling sales, with more pain coming. Releasing new products into this environment is madness.

Canon needs to sell something. If they feel the R5 is a truly market-leading product, and the design was already 95% done, then there's no reason to make that camera instead of more 5D IV's, which would also slow the transition from EF to RF in the long run. The 5D IV probably costs less to manufacture but again triggers purchase of EF glass (if any), whereas another RF body causes more RF glass to be bought as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Can’t say I’m surprised. Let’s hope that the R5 stays on schedule.

I'm definitely preparing for both these cameras to be "paper launches." Given both the demand and likely supply constraints, I think it's gonna be tough to get your hands on an R5, and Canon wants to make sure demand there is fulfilled before the R6 hits shelves.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I'm definitely preparing for both these cameras to be "paper launches." Given both the demand and likely supply constraints, I think it's gonna be tough to get your hands on an R5, and Canon wants to make sure demand there is fulfilled before the R6 hits shelves.
Yes I wish they would just go ahead and start the pre-orders so I can stare at my email to see if my shipment notice comes.

Upvote 0
The R6 may end up being the better value of the two -- R5 / R6
The R5 looks like it will be the raw cutting edge, but it will come at a price.
The main specs that disappoint me on the R6 are, oddly enough, the lower quality viewfinder and the lower build quality.
The rest of the specs look quite good for my purposes, but of course it will depend on how it is implemented.

I'll still likely go for the R5, this being the last pro body that I will purchase.

I am a little bit confused about both cameras too: The R6 seems well equipped for low light which is IMO a domain of fast and "built like a tank" cameras in rough environments: Journalists near crime scenes, documentary of people on odd places (oil well logging, mines etc) but it seems to have the weaker built.
... while the R5 has lots of resolution well suited for landscape etc. but the toughter built and much more speed.

For me it is about video quality: I only need robust full sensor 4k (maybe I need it ... depends on my ideas and progress to try a documentary, video is hard compared to photography, so many variables, so many possibilities).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Why would a handgrip make any difference regarding patent infringement?
IIRC, Red’s patent only covers compressed raw “in-camera”. Which is why companies like Atomos are able to make a business case for external raw capture. If the compression is handled by a chip in the handgrip it avoids running into such legal issues.
I think many believe it is technical challenges that that prevent higher compression ratios for raw internally, whereas this is primarily a legal issue.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
With the 20MP body, does that mean there will be "DEEPER PIXELS? :)

I currently use an RP and an M5, and this sounds like its upgrade, except it's a downgrade in MP versus both(26/24MP)? This seems odd unless they are doing something we don't know about. Really good lowlight?

I personally don't think there's anything here beyond a likely re-use (or development based off of) the 1DX3 sensor as a cost savings. It's pretty clear their current (non 1DX3) sensors aren't up to the task when it comes to speed/af responsiveness. It's also unclear what other body a brand new 24-26mp full frame sensor would go into that would justify the cost, and there'd be limit IQ gains over 20.

Upvote 0