Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
I'm actually not sure where this camera fits in at the moment.
Are the R5 and R6 names confirmed? From what you have described, I could see the R6 being a MILC Rebel (albeit with some pretty good specs), either replacing the RP or being a bit larger with RP line continuing separately along he lines of the 100D series. The R5 seems to be 5D level camera. The problem with all that though is you would expect the R6 to have a higher number, as you’d expect at least one model, perhaps more, between it and the R5 in due course.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Are the R5 and R6 names confirmed? From what you have described, I could see the R6 being a MILC Rebel (albeit with some pretty good specs), either replacing the RP or being a bit larger with RP line continuing separately along he lines of the 100D series. The R5 seems to be 5D level camera. The problem with all that though is you would expect the R6 to have a higher number, as you’d expect at least one model, perhaps more, between it and the R5 in due course.
Why do you not choose to associate this with the 6D since full frame to full frame is apples to apples and Rebel to FF is a very far cry with the XXD line a much more tangible step closer if any crop is.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
EOS R5 announcement of some kind for sure, I think the EOS R6 will be in May ahead of Photokina.
Thanks for posting the information and I totally respect staying true to the source and not posting the video/photos.

Is the R5 still a rumoured July release? Are Canon just going to do a teaser development announcement next week?

Upvote 0
They already have the best sensors in APS-c cameras(M6mk2 and 90d)
Yay, another dynamic range war!
In terms of the DR - no, not the best, although good enough. Still lagging behind Nikon D7200 from 2015 and behind Fuji X-T3.

But I'm more interested in the FF offerings, especially R5 and RS/R5s. R6 - probably not so much. But it's very good they put IBIS in it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
So just based on the body type variance alone, magnesium alloy vs not. RP Grip (smaller frame) then perhaps we are looking at a $1500-$1800 camera, and the magnesium R5 in the $3500-3800 range... Your opinions folks?

I think this new info makes an extremely strong case for the R6 filling the equivalent slot that the 6D filled for EF mount. I'd expect pricing (or at least positioning) to be similar.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
This information could've been in the R6 rumor page because it's not substantial enough to have its own page.

I disagree. I think this new information is particularly meaningful in that it likely puts to bed the theory that the R6 will be a $3K+ video-centric stablemate of the R5.

• No magnesium body
  • No top LCD
  • RP-style body

All points to an affordable 6D-like body. Right where it should be, in my opinion.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it had some stellar features that belie it's entry-level positioning...

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Yay, another dynamic range war!
In terms of the DR - no, not the best, although good enough. Still lagging behind Nikon D7200 from 2015 and behind Fuji X-T3.

But I'm more interested in the FF offerings, especially R5 and RS/R5s. R6 - probably not so much. But it's very good they put IBIS in it.
But with the extra resolution to compensate. So in reality equal DR if you sacrifice a bit in NR software.

Upvote 0
Is the R5 still a rumoured July release? Are Canon just going to do a teaser development announcement next week?

There's a little snag in this R5 rumour. Feb announcement and July release seem to be too far apart. Also July is low season isn't it? And seems to be a bit too late for Olympics.
They can do a development announcement on R5 in Feb, but it's unusual for Canon to do development announcements and 1DXIII announcement was an exception I think.

Upvote 0