Canon EOS R6 IBIS in action

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Seriously doubt that R6 is an RP replacement (i.e. introductory R camera). A low priced R camera would definitely not have IBIS, that is too expensive a component for that price range. I think it is more likely the high ISO champion of the intermediate range of the R line.
Except I think IBIS is about to become a standard feature, at least in new R series bodies.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Seriously doubt that R6 is an RP replacement (i.e. introductory R camera). A low priced R camera would definitely not have IBIS, that is too expensive a component for that price range. I think it is more likely the high ISO champion of the intermediate range of the R line.

How do you know, how much expensive it is? It should be regarded being a commodity, so since now on - IBIS + tilty-flippy on each R camera ....

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If it really is called R6, it's probably a continuation of 6D line?

I am really not sure, what is coming with R6. Name suggests continuation of 6D line. But really? Going down from 26 to 20 mpx? Who would want that? Plastic body? No nice top OLED LCD? Does not seem to be a video centric monster (A7S competition) either?

OK, just for an amusement, I will continue with my typical Canon rant - Canon is yet again going to release a camera, noone has asked for :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
How do you know, how much expensive it is? It should be regarded being a commodity, so since now on - IBIS + tilty-flippy on each R camera ....

I wonder how the price of IBIS compares to e.g. a mirrorbox. The materials Canon released with the 5Ds shows that a mirrorbox is both complex in design as in production.

Upvote 0
I am really not sure, what is coming with R6. Name suggests continuation of 6D line. But really? Going down from 26 to 20 mpx? Who would want that? Plastic body? No nice top OLED LCD? Does not seem to be a video centric monster (A7S competition) either?

OK, just for an amusement, I will continue with my typical Canon rant - Canon is yet again going to release a camera, noone has asked for :)

But it will have IBIS. Maybe they'll stuff it with some video goodness. But that's right for me: I haven't asked for such a camera, IBIS is exciting because shows Canon is going in the right direction, but 20Mp, no dual card slot and no weather sealing make it a no deal for me.

I believe though it'll be selling pretty well. But as a consumer I don't care much about that.

Upvote 0
So someone sent a pic and then said not to publish it?
Why even mention it then? Just for traffic I guess.
:unsure:
@ronno
Please try to understand: Some people give away information but want protect the sources (honest journalism works that way). Others read these news and make their decisions.
In my situation I have some non-stabilized wonderful EF lenses like EF 5.6 400, 2.0 100 or 2.8 100 USM macro and I would like to use them a further 10 or 20 years. IBIS helps to extent their "usability cycle" and may revitalize my FD 4.0 17mm.
For me Craigs information is important to make my buying decisions. The money is there but not the mood to buy, and buy, and buy and to have lots of things in drawers ...

Upvote 0
I can't understnad based on the new rumors and the R6. This camera has to be between R5 and R and continues the legend from dlsr 6d series. For sure it has better specs from R and RP except the lower resolution which as it seems to be 20mp. Strange strategy for sure from Canon. If its going to be potisioned lower than R with better still/video specs then R II must be on the way also. But 3 ff cameras for 2020 and still many expect also a high res body which makes it the 4th? This is not a good strategy from Canon and they won't proceed that way. Something BiG we miss here...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Seems like just a few threads ago we were seeing post after post from favorite know-it-alls who 1) were sure Canon would never offer something as frivolous as IBIS in a FF camera (and they had quotes and diagrams to "prove" why!), and who 2) were sure IBIS would break any camera it was used in, and who 3) knew it would never appeal to real men pros.

Ok, in fact, the jury might still be out on points 2) and 3) above, but I kind of think we were reading a trifecta of incorrecta.

Livin' the vida loca, baby! :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
Those criticising CR for not publishing the video or photos, or claiming it's all done for clicks are off base. We're all going to know pretty soon as to the reality of these rumours and it would be reputational suicide to make something like this up. It's pretty normal for a source to not want pictures videos published in case it gave away the origin of these leaks. This would as I suspected mean that the R6 is 6D type level camera. Tony Northrop was speculating that it was some super video centric camera, but this seemed unlikely from the leaked specs as it had lower specs than the R5.

Overall, I don't think we can rely on the previous DSLR strategy to predict how Canon will handle the full R release. I suspected all along that the R and RP were simply place holders to justify the release of lenses, and Canon's hand was forced by Nikon releasing their FF mirrorless system. Without that Canon would have probably delayed the release until now. I think the strategy was to show how good the lenses were to prove Canon's commitment to the R system and so there was something to test them on. Canon know they have their work cut out to reverse Sony's head start in FF mirrorless and this is the main reason I think they may use a different strategy i.e. instead of holding back features for later cameras, they might chose to go all in and to produce the most revolutionary features to claw back market share.

Upvote 0
If there is video that has to be a good sign. Are we expecting it to be anounced at CP+ or Photokina?
Looking good Canon bringing out improved RF FF bodies along with their excellent RF glass, bringing more choice and features to their uses and giving Sony food for thought.

My only wish is that Nikon up its game also.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
I can't understnad based on the new rumors and the R6. This camera has to be between R5 and R and continues the legend from dlsr 6d series. For sure it has better specs from R and RP except the lower resolution which as it seems to be 20mp. Strange strategy for sure from Canon. If its going to be potisioned lower than R with better still/video specs then R II must be on the way also. But 3 ff cameras for 2020 and still many expect also a high res body which makes it the 4th? This is not a good strategy from Canon and they won't proceed that way. Something BiG we miss here...
It maybe that the R and RP were never envisaged as long lasting models and were just place holders until the fully developed R models were released. If the R5 is effectively a 5D line replacement and the R6 a 6D line replacement there wouldn't really be a niche for either the R or RP lines. If Canon had gone for incremental upgrades to avoid making the R and RP obsolete, they'd have been lagging behind Sony and Nikon for some time. I suspect Canon aims to go all in and completely overshadow Sony. If the R5 is a 5D type line, the R6 type line and there will be a line to replace the 5Ds, the line up would be pretty much as it is now.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017

6D Body was made out of plastic in case you were Wondering. therefor a plastic body in R6 and a single card slot is a reasonable expectation. Just wait until R5 and R6 pricing was announced. A plastic body limitation in R6 will make more sense to you and your wallet then.

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
No. Anyone shooting a scene with more DR than a canon camera can capture should be bracketing or using filters to reduce the DR at capture or they will be pushing the shadows so much that it will produce a crap image regardless of brand. One stop of DR performance is such a negligible benefit as to be irrelevant. So while canon may(tbh already has)catch up to Sony it won't make anyones images better

My primary body is a Sony A7III but I also own and use a Canon M5. The whole DR thing is very overblown and I agree that bracketing is best as that’s what I tend to do with my images. I’ve had images from the Sony that I’ve pushed only 2 stops and where full of color noise. No sensor is perfect and it’s more about technique.

To me the most important part of a system is the lenses, which Canon makes amazing ones! I’m really excited to see what the R5/6 has to offer. I also think in terms of stills shooting they’ll definitely blow people away. Most complaints are usually video-centric anyways.

Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I’m really liking the sound of the R6 with its low mega pixel count which presumably means higher ISO and more FPS. IBIS must come to all decent cameras sooner or later as Sony has now set the precedence.

I think the top LCD plate will soon be a thing of the past on all but the high end full pro cameras as it isn’t as necessary given it being so easy to view and adjust settings on the back screen of Canon cameras those days.

What I do hope Canon carry forward from the R is the housing protecting the senor when changing lenses, I think this is a great idea.

I hope the camera is light in the hand, somewhere between the weight of the R and RP would be welcome.

As I web shooter, I’m looking forward to a high spec but low mega pixel camera with all the benefit that come with a low pixel count and I like the sound of the rounder body too.

Exciting times ahead for us dedicated Canon shooters.

Upvote 0