Canon EOS R6 Mark II already in prototype testing [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A Twitter user (how2fly) with a track record that we cannot verify has reported that the Canon EOS R6 Mark II is already in prototype testing.
This camera is reported to have a stacked sensor like what is found in the Canon EOS R3. Any variation of that image sensor would likely make its way down the product line.
We have reported that a new full-frame camera will be coming sooner than later to replace the discontinued EOS R. Perhaps this is part of that, or nothing at all.

Continue reading...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

addola

Sold my soul for a flippy screen
Nov 16, 2015
Canon re-used the high-end Canon 1D X Mark III sensor in the Canon R6, so I wouldn't be amazed if they reused the R3's sensor in the R6's successor.

I would expect Canon R6 successor to come sooner than usual. Canon will probably use the upgraded "accessory shoe" that was introduced in the R3, and made its way to the R7 & R10.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
The R6 ii makes more sense than an R ii at this point in time. It allows the R6 line to move up its capabilities to closer to the R5 line, and at the same time opens up the space for an R ii to fill in between an RP ii and R6 ii. This means we could have an RPii at or below the current RP price (~$1k), an R ii closer to the current R6 and possibly priced slightly below it (~$2k), and then an R6 ii priced closer to the R5, perhaps around $3k, with the R5ii edging towards $4k. The line-up, in terms of pricing would have a reasonably good spread.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

A stacked sensor in the R6 doesn't make sense so soon. Stacked sensors are incredibly expensive and I am not expecting them in anything but the flagships for another couple of generations at least. Now if it is a new model with a stacked crop sensor, that I could see. As it stands a stacked full frame sensor is at least 10x more expensive.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

f119a

My Cars Always Break Down
CR Pro
Jun 18, 2013
Delaware
www.yichenhu.com
The R6 ii makes more sense than an R ii at this point in time. It allows the R6 line to move up its capabilities to closer to the R5 line, and at the same time opens up the space for an R ii to fill in between an RP ii and R6 ii. This means we could have an RPii at or below the current RP price (~$1k), an R ii closer to the current R6 and possibly priced slightly below it (~$2k), and then an R6 ii priced closer to the R5, perhaps around $3k, with the R5ii edging towards $4k. The line-up, in terms of pricing would have a reasonably good spread.
Sony has quit the sub $1k FF market entirely when they killed A7 II, and RP is just hanging there. They probably don't think the potential sales worth the effort and cost to develop another entry level FF and I assume Nikon has similar view too.
Apparently all eyes are on vlog/video shooters and that's where the manufacturers would go

Upvote 0
If they're making an R6II, they ought to put in some form of raw video/raw output, like the R5. Or at the very least allow access to All-I recording internally. I'm considering purchasing a Lumix S5 because I can record Blackmagic Raw externally from it and then just using my R6 for all my photo/quick turn around video needs and stuff where I need autofocus. Canon needs to step up their video game. We have C-LOG3, which is good, but IPB encoding needs to go.

Upvote 0
Keep the same body and controls. Swap in the sensor, focus system, and hot shoe from the R3. Retain compatibility with the same battery grip as the R6. That would be enough if the goal is to maximize the performance while keeping the price attractive.
Of course, I would also appreciate a higher performance EVF and screen, but not having those would not be a deal-breaker for me. I'd still upgrade ASAP.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I find it difficult to see what Canon could do to *significantly* improve the R6, without the price increasing considerably.

The only regular complaint I read about the camera is that many people consider the 20MP sensor insufficient. So, what would the alternatives be? I think it's extremely unlikely that they'd use the expensive 24MP stacked sensor from the R3. They could use an "improved" version of the 30MP sensor from the R, but that may be perceived by many potential buyers as a bit long in the tooth by now. The only other viable option would seem to be a *new* 24MP sensor, but would even that provide any really *worthwhile* improvement over the existing R6 sensor?

I take the whole rumour with a large pinch of salt anyway. The rumourmonger seems to have no credentials. I also think that an R5 Mkii is more likely to appear before a R6 Mkii, or at least at the same time.

.... and despite recent rumours, I think the "R replacement" will be quietly dropped.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I don’t believe for a second that a stacked full frame sensor will make it into a $2500 camera anytime soon. This sounds like an internet person’s dream more than a practical reality. The X-HS2 is $2,500 BECAUSE it has a stacked APS-C sensor.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
Improvements needed nonetheless. Record limit removed or increased to 1hr at least, as a compromise. No wobble. No overheating. MP increase.

Canon should be looking at what were the main complaints about the R6 that people had and FIX them for the R6ii. Wouldn't it be great if Canon did this and reviewers struggled to find any problems. But Canon as we know, will predictably hijack their own products with their imfamous cripple hammer.

Upvote 0