Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ok but $1500 is alot more plausible than something below the RP though

If the R6 is the cheaper one -- and it's not some sleeping video behemoth or gripped 1-series beast -- I think RP dies, I honestly do. It doesn't fit into an R-numbered FF portfolio.

Keeping it around and sequeling it over time would be like the Audi dealer selling you "Here's the A7, A6, A5, A4, A3... and the TT." It may exist, but it does not logically belong.

- A

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
+1, but koenkooi has a point on data. The M6 II moves a ton of data, crop or no crop.

The surprise here is that Canon -- if specs are true -- is finally removing on the governors on its FF mechanical shutters. I howled at the moon for so many posts that Canon (either by nerfing feature-set differentiation or cost/profitability goals) thought that 7 fps was a nice enough upgrade to the 5D line when the 5D4 came out. Since that time, every competitor has been pushing higher fps with mechanica shutter in the not-1-series price points: A99 II, Z6, A7III are 12 fps, and they run the gamut price-wise.

So -- perhaps -- Canon is not going to restrict heretofore higher-end shutters to 1-series only (or they made a better/faster/more robust non-1-series shutter). Amen to that.

- A
I'm not saying those models can't. Just saying it would be very UN-Canon like to have such an insanely robust feature set in such a low priced camera. You still have to have SOME serious differences apart from just a higher res sensor (assuming both are FF) for what we would assume a $2500 to be if it is indeed a bargain camera vs the R5

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm not saying those models can't. Just saying it would be very UN-Canon like to have such an insanely robust feature set in such a low priced camera. You still have to have SOME serious differences apart from just a sensor for what we would assume a $2500 to be if it is indeed a bargain camera vs the R5

Apparently (so far), resolution and bonkers video features are it. I'm guessing that R5 has different ergonomics/grip/controls as well.

But, as unfocused said, we don't know nearly as much about the R6. One added bullet point from CR Guy on the R6 about:
  • It's a permanently gripped body, or
  • It has special low light features, or
  • It doesn't have a viewfinder like an M6, or
  • It's tiny AF, like an EOS M (1) or SL2
Could dramatically change our take on its role in the platform.

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
If the R6 is the cheaper one -- and it's not some sleeping video behemoth or gripped 1-series beast -- I think RP dies, I honestly do. It doesn't fit into an R-numbered FF portfolio.

Keeping it around and sequeling it over time would be like the Audi dealer selling you "Here's the A7, A6, A5, A4, A3... and the TT." It may exist, but it does not logically belong.

- A
No I agree the R and RP are goners. Moving past that, I still say based on recent previous rumors, I think this is more likely to turn out to be the video RF which will sit at a similar price to the R5, which bears out having the specs like framerates we keep talking on.

Otherwise it gets priced at he $1500 range against the a7 series in which case it is NEITHER the video beast NOR the bargain level camera

Upvote 0
Worth noting too, 20mp on a full frame sensor is some FAT pixels. Could be an answer to the A7s line, could be full frame 4k in camera. Usually fat pixels give a much nicer image render and may become the camera of choice for wedding togs.

We should already know how it performs, no? With 20 mpx, it seems like Canon might be mostly reusing a 1DX III sensor? And btw - I doubt, that 20mpx is enough for wedding photogs. If wedding photogs are using mostly a 5DIVs, noone's going to go down to 20, including us. 20mpx R6 might be just a complementary camera, depending upon what does it do. Actually photogs might be caught in between, as 20mpx is too low, while 45mpx might not provide enough of DR advancement over the 5DIV's 30mpx sensor. And no, wedding photogs don't need a high framerate gun.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is just no way that the 20MP sensor of the R6 can "only" do 4K@60p and the 45MP sensor of the R5 can do 4k@120p and both sensors can do the same 20 fps electronic. IF they make this work, then the R5 needs to be dual processor with split sensor readout or something like this, which would make the R5 rather more like an R1

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
While I am more interested in the R5 specs, I would not discount the R6. Although it is reportedly 20 MP, it just might be a low light beast in a more affordable package.
4k60fps is a higher-end feature, which only the 20MP will have as well as full readout for video.
The higher megapixel model will have FF 4k, but probably not at 60p (although the S1R/SL2 has this) and it will be softer and the silent mode won't be nearly as usable. It is a better hybrid camera while the other one is more focused on being a better stills camera and the price difference between them won't be too big, but the 20MP one will cost a bit more.

Looking at the initial impressions on the 1DX III, the good old DSLR focusing is still better than what it can do using LiveView, and it won't do 20fps with a mechanical shutter, so it won't be quite as expensive and probably won't be 'branded' as the R-X camera (it won't need more than a single Digic X processor) but it won't be cheap either.

(unless this is complete BS, but coming out with a new sensor that will be in the 5D V as well as using the 1DX III sensor makes sense)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Oh hell, there's a superzoom rumor now, too:

CR Guy must be having palpitations from this onslaught of stuff rolling in.

- A

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
We should already know how it performs, no? With 20 mpx, it seems like Canon might be mostly reusing a 1DX III sensor? And btw - I doubt, that 20mpx is enough for wedding photogs. If wedding photogs are using mostly a 5DIVs, noone's going to go down to 20, including us. 20mpx R6 might be just a complementary camera, depending upon what does it do. Actually photogs might be caught in between, as 20mpx is too low, while 45mpx might not provide enough of DR advancement over the 5DIV's 30mpx sensor. And no, wedding photogs don't need a high framerate gun.

You say that but pixels 50% bigger than the 5d4 could mean iso 12800 looks like todays 3200.

I'd be very surprised if they rehashed the 1ds3 sensor. That thing maxed out at iso 1600

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
4k60fps is a higher-end feature, which only the 20MP will have as well as full readout for video.
The higher megapixel model will have FF 4k, but probably not at 60p

Yeah but Craig has 4k120 in BOLD as CR3 ("treat it as fact") on the R5 with 48MP... So 4K60 would seem a given if that's correct.

Upvote 0
You say that but pixels 50% bigger than the 5d4 could mean iso 12800 looks like todays 3200.

I'd be very surprised if they rehashed the 1ds3 sensor. That thing maxed out at iso 1600

50% bigger pixels compared to what? FF sensor size is given, right? So 45 mpx crammed into the same space as 30mpx of 5DIV can't provide bigger pixels. They could reduce the space between the pixels, improve surrounding electronics, etc., but that's just it.

1Ds3 sensor? That's some arcane stuff, no? I said 1DX III, not 1Ds 3 :)

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
And using an already perfectly suitable sensor makes complete sense as Canon can lower its costs by producing far greater volumes of it than just the 1DX3 alone would afford them to. I would suspect any new sensor (at least FF) going forward is going to have this new AA filter regardless and the on board ADC isn't changing, so the chances they are producing two different FF sensors of the exact same dimensions are highly unlikely as there would be no appreciable difference

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
20 megapixels - interesting. I wonder if it's old-tech, or related to the 1Dx III sensor. Or something completely new. I wouldn't have been surprised if it would have gotten the present R sensor, given it's assumed place on the totem pole.
Specifically, unless Canon has a boatload of old sensors laying around, it's not an old 20mp (like the old 6D or something). Fabrications processes have been completed updated since then. If it's FF 20MP, you can bank it's the same one in the DX3

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Specifically, unless Canon has a boatload of old sensors laying around, it's not an old 20mp (like the old 6D or something). Fabrications processes have been completed updated since then. If it's FF 20MP, you can bank it's the same one in the DX3

I know Canon does some odd things, but I'm wondering why they'd put the same sensor of their flagship DSLR into their entry-level (or near entry-level) FF mirrorless. Of course, they are in the process of revamping their lines of cameras, so the R6 may not parallel the 6D II at all.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I know Canon does some odd things, but I'm wondering why they'd put the same sensor of their flagship DSLR into their entry-level (or near entry-level) FF mirrorless. Of course, they are in the process of revamping their lines of cameras, so the R6 may not parallel the 6D II at all.
Canon has a long history of using sensors over and over, and the sensor itself is frankly the least important major component of the 1DX line in my opinion. It's actually really the same sensor as the DX2 with an upgraded AA filter on it. Canon calls it "new" but it's otherwise the same size, readout, ADC etc... far as I can tell. The extra $3-4k to step up to the 1DX series is about way more than just a sensor.

Upvote 0