Canon EOS R6 specifications [CR3]

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
No doubt about that. But internal vs external is a big difference to me and it is very quiet with respect to that. Anyway, we will know in a couple of weeks whether the choice for a new hybrid has become easy or not :)

eh... i guess i dont care about the internal recording. I never use it on mine. Im sure it will be the clunky codec we’ve seen before. Great for still frame capture, garbage for video editing unless you put it through media encoder first. But codecs are not just a Canon problem. Thats every one’s internal codec. They all suck for one reason or another so far as Im concerned . Give me ProRes all day

Upvote 0
Sure it could. Tell every 6D2 owner that their new camera will come with all of the following upgrades:
  • IBIS
  • A proper on-chip ADC sensor (one can only hope that wrong is righted)
  • 20 fps
...and all it will cost them is (idk) $1800 and 6 less MP.

I bet you'd sell a bunch of cameras. Not all users would take that camera, but many would.

- A

No way Canon delivers a camera with those specs for $600 less than the R was lol.this is going to be close to $3k with the R5 coming close to $4k.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
No way Canon delivers a camera with those specs for $600 less than the R was lol.this is going to be close to $3k with the R5 coming close to $4k.

Well we dont really have enough info on the R6 yet to know for sure. We are presuming it is FF (same sensor as DX3). It could be a crop. It doesn't seem likely that it is, but again, we dont know for sure. If it is FF then it depends what Canon has built it to do. 4K60 capability akin to the DX3 would seem to suggest it could be their more video centric model that has been rumored. That wouldn't suggest a lower end model, but a model that would sit along side an R5 in similar price ($3500) but with a feature set for another purpose. They could implement DPAF in 4K60 FF for example where as the R5 will not have it. They could also put in a nicer mic preamp. Zebras. False color. All sorts of video features not yet seen in a MILC body from Canon. You still won't get quite the sharpness and DR in C Log you can get with the C200 for example, but it will be an excellent B camera or even A camera in smaller productions. This is what Sony did with the A7s line and it worked out very well for them complimenting their F line cinema bodies. Again, PURE speculation right now, but Canon has indicated they are making more specialized cameras going forward. And with the A73 perhaps arriving this year, all the more reason to get ahead of the game.

Regardless, we agree that whatever this camera is, those specs dont seem to suggest a camera even cheaper than the RP. No way. (unless again, it turns out to be crop). And there hasn't been any news I recall that canon was producing a $1500 6D type replacement this year. We knew we would have a High MP body (yet to be announced), what looks to be a 5D replacement (R5), and a lower MP camera to rival the Sony a7S (maybe this R6). And the a7S2 was a $2500 camera new a few years ago and folks expect the a7s3 to be at least that if not $3k. Feeling like this may be our R6. And the EOS R will drop down and fill the $1500 range for now, and the RP will stay at $899 for now. Again, all speculation, but seems a reasonable roadmap when taking into account what we know Canon has hinted at

Upvote 0

researcher

Shooting With Trailing-Edge Gear Now & Then...
May 30, 2015
OK, so this looks like an entry level model that's not APSC. Segmentation is good.
Question: how desirable is global shutter as a feature for video - game changer or just nice?
If the new 45MP RS/R5 whatever can purportedly do 8K 30/fps, is the CPU capacity possibly there to do global shutter on a 20MP sensor, or is it a totally different signal process?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
OK, so this looks like an entry level model that's not APSC. Segmentation is good.
Question: how desirable is global shutter as a feature for video - game changer or just nice?
If the new 45MP RS/R5 whatever can purportedly do 8K 30/fps, is the CPU capacity possibly there to do global shutter on a 20MP sensor, or is it a totally different signal process?
The global shutter patents we've seen from Canon indicated that such a technology would result in lower DR than the current designs if I remember correctly. Especially with the ability to record RAW video now, sacrificing DR might not even be in the interest of many video makers, but there certainly are folks who shoot enough motion to appreciate a global shutter - that's not a property of the processor though, the sensor has to be designed for it.

Interesting idea nonetheless - the notion of a video specific model like an A7S seems a bit weird when a stills monster like the R5 can actually deliver top end video as well. A global shutter would be a difference that could make sense jn such a version.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Maybe there are really two new R bodies; one for still and video resolution (R5) and one for speed and AF (R6). The R6 guts could end up in an R1 as they are likely from the 1DX3, but they would probably wait for big RF glass. By the end of the year it might look like this;

RP; Cost reduced to $700, entry body
R; Cost reduced to $1,400, backup body
R6; $2,400?, Prosumer sports body
R5; $3,500, Studio, landscape, field body (not sure if 8k w/o AF)
R1; $4,500, R6 in 1D body + features?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
A thread worth reading -- drill down to replies and sub-thread below each reply:

Straight from CR Guy's keyboard:
  • R6 > RP for position in the portfolio and will therefore cost more
  • There will never be another 6D (!)
  • R6 is aimed at the A7S line (and perhaps isn't in a mirrorless 6D sort of slot in the portfolio)
- A

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
The global shutter patents we've seen from Canon indicated that such a technology would result in lower DR than the current designs if I remember correctly.
Global shutter requires twice as large capacitance per pixel to handle the same amount of photoelectrons as rolling shutter. Or, with the same capacitance per pixel, it can only handle half the amount of photoelectrons.

Upvote 0
Global shutter requires twice as large capacitance per pixel to handle the same amount of photoelectrons as rolling shutter. Or, with the same capacitance per pixel, it can only handle half the amount of photoelectrons.
No, a neutral density filter can take care of that. Sony developed a variable electronic neutral density filter years ago. It is in the FS5, and may make it into the upcoming A7s III

Upvote 0
Furthermore, why?
An individual pixel is exposed to light for the same amount of time whether it's a rolling shutter or a global shutter.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
No, a neutral density filter can take care of that.
Of what "that"? Of decreased DR at base ISO?

Furthermore, why?
Because physics. Global shutter is not some sort of LCD filter in front of the sensor. It's a set of gates that allow photoelectrons to flow from the potential well in the photoelectron-collecting part of a pixel to the potential well of the same (or greater) capacity in the non-photoelectron-collecting part of the same pixel.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
How many bodies had that 18 mpx crop sensor over a couple of year period.

Couple of years?
Try from 2009 (7D) all the way to 2018 when the T7/200D replaced the T6/1300D!

Actually the same 18MP sensor is also found in the Canon 4000D (aka Rebel T100 in some parts of the world). FYI, it was the 2000D (Rebel T7) that replace the 1300D camera, I realise 200D was likely just a typo.

The 4000D became a new 'budget entry level' line of Canon DSLRs when it was announced in 2018, and it continues to be a current model in many parts of the world. So Canon are certainly getting their money's worth from the R&D to produce that 18MP sensor.

FWIW, I have the 7D and the 80D, which is a 24MP sensor, with a much newer design fabrication technique. The colours, sharpness and ability to manipulate image files in the 80D are much superior to the 7D's sensor (i.e. much more than just an increase in megapixels).

I look forward to seeing what Canon's new sensors (both APS-C and FF) are capable of... I am quite optimistic.

Regards

PJ

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0