Canon EOS Rebel SL2/200D replacement next from Canon?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Nokishita is reporting that the next body from Canon could be a replacement for the EOS Rebel SL2/200D, which was announced in June of 2017.
DS 126761

Digital camera (single lens reflex or RF mounting machine)
Made in Taiwan or Made in Japan (Oita Plant)
Wi-Fi · Bluetooth equipped (WM 600)
SKU: 3454C001AA, 3454C002AA, 3454C003AA, 3458C001AA, 3461C001AA
Battery: 7.2 V 1040 mAh (LP – E 17)

We’ve been told that an all-new 24mp sensor is ready to go,  and it’s possible we’ll see it in the next APS-C DSLR.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Nokishita wrote that Canon has filed a radio wave certification for the EOS Rebel SL3. Nokishita didn't state that it would be the next body to come out.
Whilst that is so, a look at the model codes makes it likely enough that I'd be expecting it.

Back in January there were two DS models listed 126751 and 126761.
The first was the RP, the second with its hefty SKU list looks like another small camera at the consumer end (and not one of the assorted Canon compacts)

Whilst there's no certainty, Nokishita is one source I tend to take rather more notice of... ;-)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
All-new or "all-new"?

They claim that every sensor in every body is unique. Will it be largely indistinguishable from the existing 24mpx sensor or meaningfully improved in some way?

It's also interesting that the filing hedges about whether it's EF or RF. And with five SKUs, is it likely three colors, with black having two different kit lenses available?

Upvote 0
An all new 24mp sensor? Doesn't the current SL2 have a 24mp sensor already? It seems odd to me that it wouldn't get at least a small bump, though 24 should be plenty. I had always thought that the consumer cameras benefit from increases in resolution because it's usually the first thing you see on a description in a store and one of the easiest features to distinguish cameras for new buyers.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
When I see this and some wondering about no MP bump I can't help but think about a camera body's price point and sensor correlating with the selection of perceived lenses that will probably be mounted. Some here on the forum will be the exception but for the average SL user, will they be utilizing glass that would be properly resolving the higher MP count desired? I think 24 is a sweet spot. Just like 18 was for so long.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
An all new 24mp sensor? Doesn't the current SL2 have a 24mp sensor already? It seems odd to me that it wouldn't get at least a small bump, though 24 should be plenty. I had always thought that the consumer cameras benefit from increases in resolution because it's usually the first thing you see on a description in a store and one of the easiest features to distinguish cameras for new buyers.
A higher megapixel would require higher investment and this is a lower end camera. I think most consumers are happy with 24mp. Let’s pray for more dynamic range.

Upvote 0
Canon is world champion in recycling sensors from one camera generation over to the next one. So why should they bring out a new 24MP sensor so soon ? And why in a low cost 200D replacement ? If a new sensor really brings significant improvements, they will use it in a 90D or 7D II replacement.

It would be more useful to update the sensors used in the EOS R camera models, as they are quite outdated in comparison to the competition.

Upvote 0
It might be an older design aps-c model produced with a smaller die process so that the back end circuitry is smaller and thus faster. That's what most tech companies do, most notably intel with their tic-toc release structure (although lately it's been more tic-toc-toc-toc).

The Tic is when you release a new architecture, the toc is shrinking it down to be more efficient. Sony runs a smaller transistor size in their chips. The readout on those chips is faster, the noise levels are slightly lower and the power consumption is slightly lower. (this actually might account for most of the differences in Dynamic range too).

This could be the first run at a die shrunk process - easier to do on an APS-C chip first since yields are usually lower at first as you work out any bugs. An issue in 20 places on a wafer might only take out 15-30 chips (out of nearly 400) instead of 6-7 chips (out of 20). As time goes on as they are working on the processes to make the chips they become more efficient.

Plus they could use this chip in a 7d replacement too. If the readout speed was faster they could certainly bump up the FPS, and most likely do uncropped (beyond the aps-c crop) 4k video too.

.....of course it also could be a "new sensor" in terms of the current aps-c sensor with more dpaf ala the "new sensors" with the R and RP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...plus it makes sense for them to release a low end camera this summer as it will be available on every shelf in the fall. My guess is it'll be Rmount with a ef adapter and 18-55 + 55-250 lens kit as the cheaper package, 24-105 as the more expensive package. Maybe around 699 -799 for the cheaper 2 lens kit and 1299 for the 24-105?

Canon has said it wants to move to more expensive lenses across a broader range of it's cameras. And while most purchasers of these cheaper cameras never ever buy a lens, the fact that they COULD is sometimes a key factor in buying a Canon over another brand.

Upvote 0
Unlikely, but there is the possibility of exploiting the RF short/wide flange/mount, combined with aps-c image circle size, to make some crazy lenses that haven't been done before. They could pull another Sigma 18-35 Art sort of rabbit out of a hat with that sort of arrangement, even improving on it due to the new mount.

More likely, this is just the normal inexplicable Canon business decision we see, such as having an 80d and a 77d soon thereafter.

I previously thought RP is really an SL replacement but with the huge bonus of being full frame. Perhaps Canon sees the opportunity to delve lower into the market with a crop version of the RP, perhaps priced in the 799 range.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
It is too soon for an SL3. How much Canon's sensor technology has improved in 2 years ? So no way.
The only useful additions - for me - to features would be to include GPS (not going to happen) and .... AFMA!!!!
(Yes this is also NOT going to happen but SL3 could be a nice BACKUP camera to pro models for us having back problems :) )
YMMV.

P.S SL2 is a fantastic little camera anyway.

Upvote 0
I think it could be the "all-new" M50 sensor with cropped DPAF-disabled 4k.
the m50 sensor is a recycled 80d sensor. it cant be "all new", they would then just use the 80d sensor.

The 80d sensor is about 3 years old now. An all new aps-c sensor would fall into the aps-c sensor release cadence of canon.

Upvote 0
No, the 80D and M5 are similar but the M50 actually has a new sensor.
its probably not exactly the same but afaik its the 80d sensor just recycled. sensor performance between those two cameras is pretty much the same if not better for the older 80d (just like 5d IV sensor vs Eos R sensr)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
the m50 sensor is a recycled 80d sensor. it cant be "all new", they would then just use the 80d sensor.

The 80d sensor is about 3 years old now. An all new aps-c sensor would fall into the aps-c sensor release cadence of canon.
The 70d used the same sensor as the 7dII - as far as I know those were the only two models it was used in. It was shortly replaced by the 80d sensor which has been used in almost every camera that followed it with the exception of a few that used the 18.1 from the 7d (which by that point was 6 years old!)

The 80D sensor is still not that far off from the sony sensors. The new a6400 is still using a sensor from before the Canon 80D sensor was released, just with much improved backend chips. Presumably if it is a new sensor it'll be expected to go into all of the M mount cameras that will come out along with afew rmount thus helping them sell new more expensive R mount lenses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0