Canon EOS RP to cost $1599? [CR1]

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Maybe FF is now (finally!) the new APS-C. More people invested in FF means a larger customer base for development and production of FF lenses, which is a good thing. Personally, I'm waiting for a 5D Mk IV variant of the RF mount, but I'm in no hurry. Now more amateurs wanting something significantly better than a smartphone or point-and-shoot, and even entry-level photographers intending to commit and grow, can enjoy FF IQ quality.

Makes great sense to use the old 5DIV sensor in the first EOS R, and a sensor more on par with the one from the 6D II for a body costing about $500 USD less.

Weren't more affordable FF bodies one of the hopes customers had for mirrorless? Well here they come!
I have been wondering for a couple years how much time crop DSLRs have left.... If you want small and low cost, you go for an M. If you like the quality and ergonomics, you go FF. The market is shrinking, so how much time does a rebel sized crop camera have left?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The current price of the EOS 6D Mark II from authorized dealers in the U.S. is $1,299.

Yes, this is an aggressive price at introduction, but it's not the lowest price available for full frame. Also, one has to add $100 for a lens mount adapter, making the true cost closer to $1,700. Of course, if it follows the 6D tradition, we could see this available for around $1,000 within a year to 18 months, which would probably tempt a lot of enthusiasts to give it a try at that time.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
What a terribly disappointing rumor.
Don't buy it. It's a GREAT rumor, means Canon is going all in on FF mirrorless. This is not a camera for FF upgraders it's a camera for APS-C users, they will LOVE it. They will be able to use their existing APS-C lenses, albeit cropped, and any existing EF lenses, maybe an enthusiast APS-C users might have Nifty Fifty, 85 1.8, possibly a high level zoom like a 24-105 or 24-70.

The high resolution R is coming, the speed demon full pro R is coming and this new sub 6D level is a great new addition! The R is a great update to the 6D2, the R high rez will be a great 5D upgrade, the R PRO will be a great 1D upgrade and now we will also have a very viable APS-C to FF upgrade.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have been wondering for a couple years how much time crop DSLRs have left.... If you want small and low cost, you go for an M. If you like the quality and ergonomics, you go FF. The market is shrinking, so how much time does a rebel sized crop camera have left?

Except if you want the ergonomics and low cost, you go for the crop sensor DSLR. There are still a lot of people in that category. The excellent 80D is still only about half the cost of this new mirrorless camera and it will certainly have it beat in many areas. Don't forget, the difference in quality between full frame and crop is noticeable only under limited circumstances. Daylight shooting, impossible to tell the difference. With each generation of sensor that difference narrows. Bodies like the SL2 show that it is possible to make small and low cost in a DSLR as well. Not as small as an M, but certainly small enough for many people.

And, that's not even considering specialty crop frame bodies like the 7D, which are likely to continue to find a niche market for many years to come.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
This fits in with my thought of a 80D upgrade. The 80 D body cost $1200 when introduced, so for $400 more, you get a equivalent FF model.

Buyers want FF bodies, that's the segment of the market that is growing, so Canon is going to grab it. Lots of us want a higher level body, but a very few of those sell. If a lower cost body sells well, then buyers will upgrade later to higher level FF mirrorless. There should be at least three models, maybe 4 by next year.

Canon has mentioned pulling people out of R&D to form new design teams for lenses and bodies, so they are trying to find a way to get new lenses and bodies out sooner.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

KenRockwell

1D X II / 5Ds R / 7D II / EOS R
Sep 5, 2018
Carlsbad, CA
kenrockwell.com
Wish the EOS RP was a pro model. Wonder when the promised firmware update for the EOS R will be released?

“P” = “Populaire” i.e. for the masses. (See some examples of Canon using this naming convention for several of their film rangfinder and early SLR models from the 1950’s-60’s.

Canon has never felt a need to specify “Pro” or “Professional” with naming their camera bodies, as it’s always been implicit. Apart from the CPS straps, the only thing I can think of that they specifically identify as high end are L glass with their ubiquitous red rings.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I'm sure it will sell well but I expect it will get slated in reviews.
I'm not sure why you'd buy an EOS R if an EOS RP existed.

You're probably right that reviewers will hate that it doesn't have a newer, better sensor. Aggressively priced, it will almost certainly sell well.

The reason to buy an EOS R? Maybe slightly better sensor, maybe more AF modes, and that kind of thing. And hey, it's also there for people who really love touch bar! :D

There may also be some bundle differences; in some markets you might get an included EF adapter with R and not RP, which makes the price difference smaller, if you were going to buy an adapter anyhow. Or charger, or that kind of thing.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
I sincerely hope that this body will not used 6D II's sensor. Please, improve the shadow recovery of that sensor. I don't mind the ultra-high ISO capacity but the dynamic range at base ISO of 6D II sensor is not sufficient for 2019. 5D IV sensor on the other hand is quite good. In fact EOS M50's DR is better than 6D II's (I have used all).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Except if you want the ergonomics and low cost, you go for the crop sensor DSLR. There are still a lot of people in that category. The excellent 80D is still only about half the cost of this new mirrorless camera and it will certainly have it beat in many areas. Don't forget, the difference in quality between full frame and crop is noticeable only under limited circumstances. Daylight shooting, impossible to tell the difference. With each generation of sensor that difference narrows. Bodies like the SL2 show that it is possible to make small and low cost in a DSLR as well. Not as small as an M, but certainly small enough for many people.

And, that's not even considering specialty crop frame bodies like the 7D, which are likely to continue to find a niche market for many years to come.

Yes, but the last 80D was 1200, the next one would probably be around 1300 to 1350. This isn’t much more to jump to FF. If we start seeing some low cost R lenses we will know which way the wind is blowing

The crop DSLRs are getting squeezed from both ends......

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
“P” = “Populaire” i.e. for the masses. (See some examples of Canon using this naming convention for several of their film rangfinder and early SLR models from the 1950’s-60’s.

Canon has never felt a need to specify “Pro” or “Professional” with naming their camera bodies, as it’s always been implicit. Apart from the CPS straps, the only thing I can think of that they specifically identify as high end are L glass with their ubiquitous red rings.
Certainly not white paint....

Upvote 0
Sony is already going down with their camera prices. According to Sonyalpharumors.com Sony didn't lower the A7 III price (there was some miscommunication about -$200) but I wouldn't be surprised if they do it somewhere around the Canon EOS RP release date just to piss off Canon. :coffee: If everything turns out true, the price difference between the downsized EOS R version called EOS RP and the A7 III which is loved by critics would be only $200. Oh man.

Upvote 0