Canon EOS RS Specifications? [CR1]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Actually there will be startrail much sooner. The 500 rule does not apply for high mpixel camers. It doesn't even apply for 30mpixel (5DIV) if we are going to check at pixel level. I was using 14mm lens and I could see startrail at 25sec (even at 20 sec if I pixel peeped).

I cannot think of using any kind of stabilizer without any tripod but I believe you were aware of all these and were half joking and "playing" with numbers anyway :)

EDIT: I believe there is camera that uses IBIS to help with astrophotography. That would be a nice feature (using sidereal and half-sidereal tracking maybe).
I was having some fun!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Sounds like CR0, as the 1DX3 represents the state of the art for Canon at 20.1MP x 20 FPS. The best you should get from the R5 is 9FPS at 45MP using the same technology, at half(ish) the price. Why would one expect higher throughput than the 1DX3?

I would rather have MP and/or DR than FPS. I have held off switching to Sony by the RS. If it is 45MP and not 75MP, I will switch to Sony, as all my lenses are EF, and I will replace them either way.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
States "Scroll Wheel" added but no mention of joy stick for moving AF point. Not really a fan of the swiping a finger across the screen to move the AF point.
Also new battery??? Does that mean I'll have to ditch my stock of LP-E6 that I've built up for another expensive battery?
If this is real, and if you are willing to buy it... then yes. The rumor says different battery.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
No word on eyeAF?
I hope they give the option to shoot 24 & 32/36mp raw for times when you don't need such a big file.
If these rumors become facts, poor Sony, so Canon have the ergonomics, the lens and now these specs, wow.
Eye-AF is a given.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Yep, if this existed as is for an EOS R camera, it'd probably be pushing the $10k price line. It'd instantly cannabalize 1DX sales, which would also be weird.
Not a whole lot of people can buy a 1DX Mark III. This, at more than twice the price, would not hurt the 1DX Mark III. One thing is certain; it will not be a $10K camera.

Upvote 0
Yep, if this existed as is for an EOS R camera, it'd probably be pushing the $10k price line. It'd instantly cannabalize 1DX sales, which would also be weird.

Or... The SLRs are on their way out, they gave it a last go as an homage and please this crowd and now they're giving everyone reasons to move to mirrorless by introducing a unicorn. o_O

Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
I like 45 Mpx much more than the rumored 70 Mpx. It has better balance between efforts in post and details for my photograph, and I am sure most people don't need that much high res (unless you are Tony and need to future-proof your family photos).

The rest of the specs are hard to believe (Background voice: What do you mean canon innovated??), but even if 75% is true it is still a phenomenal camera. I think I'm a buyer.

Upvote 0
I like 45 Mpx much more than the rumored 70 Mpx. It has better balance between efforts in post and details for my photograph, and I am sure most people don't need that much high res (unless you are Tony and need to future-proof your family photos).

The rest of the specs are hard to believe (Background voice: What do you mean canon innovated??), but even if 75% is true it is still a phenomenal camera. I think I'm a buyer.
Exactly, 45 Mpx hits a sweet spot between performance and high resolution. I don't shoot video so the video specs aren't as important to me. That said, having good video specs would make this an all around win.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
To print a full size photo on a Canon PRO-4000 (44"x66") at 300ppi, you would need a 261 megapixel image. Now, granted that's not realistic, but 300ppi is generally the gold stand for printing resolution.

What would you like to print that large that people would still want to look at from such a short distance, you'd need 300ppi?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
45 x 20 is not plausible in the next 12 months, full stop.

45 x 14 is plausible (42x12, 60x10 cameras exist today), but it makes no sense for Canon to do:
  • It's a cosmic leap forward for the 5D# line.
  • It's a resolution setback from 2015 for the 5DS line.
  • It still somewhat dunks on the 1DX3 (IBIS, video, stills detail without limting the fps too badly), so all price point logic goes to hell.
It just doesn't add up unless Canon is panicking and doesn't mind angering all the folks who recently got in on a new body. That's not how they operate.

- A

Like I said, I suspect the 45 x 20, if it were to happen, would be crippled in some way....that said, your reasoning could be correct, but a few points:
  • Jumping to 14 fps was a pretty significant jump for the M line up...yet they just did it with the M6 II. I agree, I'll be surprised if the "5D#" line gets 14 fps (I was hoping for 10 fps), but, just to point out the obvious, the "R5" is not a "D5"....Canon could have easily adjusted their thinking on what the lineup will look like.
  • Yes, 40-45 MP is fewer MP than the 5DR(s). First, this does not sound like the "high MP" equivalent. It sounds more like a sporty 5DIV. So, those dots do not necessarily connect. Second, Canon pointed out that the 1DX III was an "effective" bump in resolution with a better anti aliasing filter. So, 40-45 MP may atleast be equivalent to a 50 MP 5DsR. But, again, I do not read this as a "High MP" camera
  • 1Ds are more than just specs. They ergonomics, build quality, and dependability. So, dunking on a few specs, fine. Especially if Canon gives the 1DX III users a few things the R5 doesn't have (better weathersealing, battery life, shutter life, autofocus, autofocus and autofocus, etc). Plus, if Canon wants to appease the current 1D users but then get everyone else to transition to an R...this does make sense to me.
  • What recent new body? 5DIV? R? M6II? Really, only the 1DxIII, but see above, that is a specialty animal and it would be very easy to have a feature rich camera more aimed at the higher end masses. Something that is more targeting Sony A7RIII/IV.
I find the video spec's hardest to believe. Canon would have had to decide to really go "all in" (I would not call it panicking) to have those video specs.

Nice thing is, if rumor holds, we find out within a month. Watch, it'll be a 82MP beast with 3 fps. ;)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I was unaware that a modern medium format system had dozens of professional optical instruments priced between $1-2k that tap the full AF functionality of that platform.

As this industry has always shown:
  • Not everyone who wants detail has the patience, budget or predilection to shoot MF over FF.
  • MF cannot remotely touch all the bases that an FF system conveniently can: portability, affordability, reach, and AF in particular.
  • Folks seems to buy FF glass and stay in that ecosystem.
I'm not opposed to MF. But MF needs a far far far stronger value proposition than resolution, bit depth, and leaf shutters. FF can simply do more for less money.

- A

https://www.parkcameras.com/p/20155...-gfx-100-medium-format-mirrorless-camera-body is the one I was looking at, its only £3000 more than a 1Dx Mark III. Its not pocket change, but it is MF and on an equal weight footing with a 1d.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
[taps on mic]: You are optimistic.

(But good on you for it.)

- A
We will all be like :( when the real camera get's announced if we are to believe that rumor. And for what's worth I do think stupid of Canon not making that 50 1.4 IS lens. It isn't as if they hadn't made already 24 28 and 35 new IS lenses.

Upvote 0