Canon exec confirms that the EOS-1D X Mark III is Canon’s last DSLR

Noooooooooo! There must be some mistake! I am so angry. Can't you make just one more generation of 1D X? This news makes me so sad. Well, I guess there's nothing I can do about it.

^ Me going through all five stages of grief in a span of 30 seconds.

[a little more bargaining] .... ok, maybe an R1 with a rangefinder window so I can pretend?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Stop being delusional. There will be NO more DSLR’s period. They’ll sell out the remaining EF inventory and be done with it.
Every time you say this you look even more foolish. However, I’d be delusional to think that even being contradicted by Canon’s CEO will stop you from further idiotic posts.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Canon can't make a 90D successor. The 100D is already the SL1. =P We ran out of numbers! No more DSLRs!
Remember the PowerShot S90? It was followed by the S95, then the S100. Wait, which S100?

The 12 MP version from 2011?
D7A26289-1ADA-48E7-9A74-AB64417A8A41.jpeg

Or the 2 MP version from 2000?
14977E50-DA6B-4669-9D2E-301B67B955A7.jpeg

Don’t worry, Canon can figure this out if they continue development of the xxD line (which their CEO states they are).

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Upvote 0
I've got an R5 and a 5DMkiv - I actually used my 5DMkiv today, and really enjoyed the experience.

DSLRs are a bit heavy, a bit noisy, the sensors are outdated, they don't have IBIS, and they can't track subjects very well, but the AF on the 5DMkiv is lightning fast, and the optical viewfinder is a joy to use - instantly available and with zero lag. If my R5 suddenly disappeared, I'd be just as happy with the DSLR. It's also more than capable of handling "difficult" subjects like BIF, macro etc. I find it rather sad that MILCs have all but ousted DSLRs from the marketplace.
I too have an R5 and couple of 5D4's. I tend to use both on location but the 5D4's exclusively in the studio. I prefer having an optical view finder in the studio and for this reason alone, I see myself using them for as long as they keep making them. I also prefer less megapixels and the body size of the 5D4 as it feels much better in the hand with a decent weighted lens.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
I think both are equally likely to happen.

Canon undoubtedly have an APS-C camera in RF mount at some stage of development, and are just analysing demand before deciding whether to put it in production. I'd expect it to have a new sensor, maybe about 28-30MP, and to be styled very much like the R6. It would be the spiritual successor to the 7DMkii, but would have vastly superior AF, probably 30fps, and would be aimed at the birding and sports/action market. At least, that's what I think, and hope. The problems are that tooling up for production would be expensive, the sensor would probably not be used in other models, and if Canon's gamble didn't pay off, they'd lose money on it.

A "90D Mkii" or whatever it's called, is another matter. It would cost next to nothing to put it in production because almost all the development, tooling etc would be carried over from the 70D, 80D and 90D. Already paid for. A few minor changes, to spice it up just enough to ensure that it continued to sell. Instant profit with virtually no initial outlay.

Is there more demand for a "R7" or a "90D Mkii" ? I don't know. Is there in fact sufficient demand for either of them, let alone both? Again I don't know. Neither do Canon, it's a gamble. But Canon are Number One, so they can afford to take gambles. If Canon produced an "R7" and a "90D Mkii", my choice would be the R7, but a 90D Mkii would be much cheaper to produce and would probably help them to sell all the EF glass that they have stockpiled.
I guess that's true. It could end up being the year of the camera body because this is one of the (expected) final years of mix mount releases.

Though with all the chip shortages I wonder how they would allocate the quantities of which bodies to make if they're no longer going to delay releases and just deal. (I guess that's another reason why it could be the year of the camera body. Bodies have backed up and now they're all coming out.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
RIP DSLR’s it’s been fun shooting with them over the years, but time and tech moves on.

I can’t imagine many people being advised to buy new 6D II or 850D these days unless desperate storekeepers are needing to shift old stock, somehow selling them off to newbies.

I still think there is a market for a tiny compact interchangeable lens body I.E the M Series, M6 II M200, M50 II plus future upgrades. The RF mount is surely too big to accommodate that type of compact system! Or maybe not!
Not sure the exact dimensions but the Z mount is also big and Nikon could manage tiny kit lenses for the Z50 (16-55) and Z5 (24-50), as well as 2 pancakes (28 and 40). If they come up with Z30 / Z3 cameras in the future you could have really small combos. So I would think Canon could do a similar trick to replace the M mount?

Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Remember the PowerShot S90? It was followed by the S95, then the S100. Wait, which S100?

The 12 MP version from 2011?
View attachment 201830

Or the 2 MP version from 2000?
View attachment 201831

Don’t worry, Canon can figure this out if they continue development of the xxD line (which their CEO states they are).
Did you not understand the "=P" ?

That's an emoji signaling that the statement isn't serious. It's meant to represent a face wit two eyes with a tongue sticking out of the mouth.

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
Am I missing something? Nowhere does he say that the 1dxmk3 is the last DSLR - He says it's the last model in the EOS-1 lineup.

this is the original Japanese Yomiuru Shimbun post, Canon CEO mentioned IDX3 is the final DSLR

Upvote 0

dominic_siu

R5, 1435, 2870, 100500, 28, 100 Macro , 135 (RF)
Aug 31, 2018
I had to jump in. The article is misleading. The original newspaper article clearly states that Canon will continue to DEVELOP and PRODUCE beginner and intermediate DSLR's .. that really the 1DX Mark III just the last DSLR flagship.
Yes the article said that will continue developing entry and midrange DSLR but how long you haven’t been seeing new DSLR on the shelves?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Yes the article said that will continue developing entry and midrange DSLR but how long you haven’t been seeing new DSLR on the shelves?
There’s this thing going on you may have heard of, called a global pandemic. If you base your conclusion on this year, then you’d believe Canon only develops cameras costing $6000.

Upvote 0

Timo2020

Shoot Raw on R5
Nov 26, 2020
I've got an R5 and a 5DMkiv - I actually used my 5DMkiv today, and really enjoyed the experience.

DSLRs are a bit heavy, a bit noisy, the sensors are outdated, they don't have IBIS, and they can't track subjects very well, but the AF on the 5DMkiv is lightning fast, and the optical viewfinder is a joy to use - instantly available and with zero lag. If my R5 suddenly disappeared, I'd be just as happy with the DSLR. It's also more than capable of handling "difficult" subjects like BIF, macro etc. I find it rather sad that MILCs have all but ousted DSLRs from the marketplace.
Pointless to say, that the photographers of old school had much more knowledge about photography than those photographers, who are only able to shoot their pictures with a computer in their hand like the (fantastic) EOS R5. I experience this often, when I talk in workshops with young photographers, who only know digital photography and never used analog cameras like the original EOS 5 (No D and no R in the name).

However, those digital photographers have other skills, like using Photoshop and such to make even from average photos breathtaking pictures. We should learn from each other.

Upvote 0

Timo2020

Shoot Raw on R5
Nov 26, 2020
I think, it is plain to see that the time of DSLRs is definitely over. I am sad about it, since I used those cameras from the late 80s, like the T60 and T90, EOS 5, and for years also the EOS 3. Great cameras and the latter two were already eye controlled. So the "new" technique in the EOS R3 is indeed something that we "old" photographers and Canon fans begged for decades to bring it back. Now, we have it and I am sure, it is a great feature.

Upvote 0