Canon explains RF lens technology and why bigger is better (sometimes)

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon once again talks about the benefits of the bigger diameter RF mount over the older, and smaller lens mounts in the video above.
So why’ll we wait for more RF lenses, we can at least learn a bit about them.
From Canon Imagine Plaza:
Canon proudly introduces a new imaging system, the EOS R System, with RF lenses at its core. But what makes these lenses so outstanding? This video introduces the innovative features of RF lenses that open up new possibilities in photographic expression.

Continue reading...

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I hear the words. I don’t see the evidence. Maybe someday.
The evidence: the exceptional quality achieved by Leica with wide -angle lenses, the Leica R lenses were always far behind (corner sharpness, contrast, etc...)
I've never had a DSLR lens that was as good as the 18, 21, 24, 28 & 35 mm Asph. M lenses, not even a Zeiss or a Canon. (Yes, I know, this isn't scientific).
Is the short flange distance the main reason ? I tend to believe it has at least a part to play, according to the Leica opticians, it definitely has!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ok now I could see it. So (according to video) the advantage of RF (shorter back distance) is less refraction but the disadvantage is more ghosting and flaring. They go to lengths to explain how they correct for this, but they also say how they correct for refraction in EF lenses. So both mounts have a problem and solution, it's just a different problem.

Also the final sample image (antelope or bighorn sheep grazing in a field) is underexposed and IMO a bad photo - certainly they could have used a better nature photo?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
Ok now I could see it. So (according to video) the advantage of RF (shorter back distance) is less refraction but the disadvantage is more ghosting and flaring. They go to lengths to explain how they correct for this, but they also say how they correct for refraction in EF lenses. So both mounts have a problem and solution, it's just a different problem.

Also the final sample image (antelope or bighorn sheep grazing in a field) is underexposed and IMO a bad photo - certainly they could have used a better nature photo?
i hope it doesnt mean next R camera got that bad dynamic range :p

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Canon has a long tradition of putting out unpersuasive photographic examples what their new products can do

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The evidence: the exceptional quality achieved by Leica with wide -angle lenses, the Leica R lenses were always far behind (corner sharpness, contrast, etc...)
I've never had a DSLR lens that was as good as the 18, 21, 24, 28 & 35 mm Asph. M lenses, not even a Zeiss or a Canon. (Yes, I know, this isn't scientific).
Is the short flange distance the main reason ? I tend to believe it has at least a part to play, according to the Leica opticians, it definitely has!
How many of your DLSR lenses cost $3K and up? I tend to believe that the Zeiss Otus lenses offer excellent IQ, equal of better to lenses with short flange distances. But like Leica ASPH lenses, they aren't cheap. The evidence definitely supports that more expensive lenses can deliver better IQ. But shorter flange? Not so much.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
How many of your DLSR lenses cost $3K and up? I tend to believe that the Zeiss Otus lenses offer excellent IQ, equal of better to lenses with short flange distances. But like Leica ASPH lenses, they aren't cheap. The evidence definitely supports that more expensive lenses can deliver better IQ. But shorter flange? Not so much.
Leica lenses cost more because they are produced in ridiculous quantities compared to Canon and Cosina made Zeiss lenses.
Price doesn't explain everything...but getting wide-angle lenses closer to the sensor can (mustn't) be an advantage.
This certainly doesn't apply to teles (Canon's big whites are at least as good as the discontinued Leica Apo teles, most certainly even better).
PS: I too prefer DSLR over mirrorless...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0