Canon Full Frame Mirrorless is Definitely Coming, and The Wait Won't Be as Long as We Thought

Jul 21, 2010
Talys said:
AvTvM said:
mechanical watches. lol. luxury accessories, nothing else. a 10 dollar electronic watch shows time more accurately than any mechanical watch. for 1 or 2 years, not for 1 or 2 weeks.

mechanical shenanugans are nothing but luxury toys today. slapping mirrors and submirrors ... lol. soon only to be seen behing glass in museums and private collections. next to their red- dotted rangefinder brethren. lol

Dude, you took that hook, line, and sinker. Mechanical watches accounted for 77% of the wristwatch marketshare

So, we're up to two industries where AvTvM has demonstrated the knowledge and business acumen of a bit of fluffy navel lint.

Of course, he's only discussed two industries so far...

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Talys said:
AvTvM said:
mechanical watches. lol. luxury accessories, nothing else. a 10 dollar electronic watch shows time more accurately than any mechanical watch. for 1 or 2 years, not for 1 or 2 weeks.

mechanical shenanugans are nothing but luxury toys today. slapping mirrors and submirrors ... lol. soon only to be seen behing glass in museums and private collections. next to their red- dotted rangefinder brethren. lol

Dude, you took that hook, line, and sinker. Mechanical watches accounted for 77% of the wristwatch marketshare

So, we're up to two industries where AvTvM has demonstrated the knowledge and business acumen of a bit of fluffy navel lint.

Not to mention (and this is being really REALLY pedantic): the key component in all electronic watches is a moving part.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
3kramd5 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Talys said:
AvTvM said:

Not to mention (and this is being really REALLY pedantic): the key component in all electronic watches is a moving part.
Yes, but the watch is mirrorless.....

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Don Haines said:
3kramd5 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Talys said:
AvTvM said:

Yes, but the watch is mirrorless.....

LOL ^.^

Good one

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
AvTvM said:
see you at the mechanical watch and mirrorslapper museum ... and the wait won't be as long as you thought :)

I suppose you're right. I was thinking it would be about this long:

Size-Comparison-Sun-Red-Giant.jpg

...but it will probably happen a few years before that.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Talys said:
Dude, you took that hook, line, and sinker. Mechanical watches accounted for 77% of the wristwatch marketshare, versus electronic watches, and that's with smartwatches factored in.

77% by value, not volume. The vast vast majority of the watch-buying public buy something with a quartz oscillator in it. All the Swiss watch makers could blink out of existence tomorrow and there wouldn't be a ripple of time-keeping disruption. They are frankly insignificant to the daily world.

Your argument is like saying that the 1D and 5D lines are the dominant cameras in the World. By revenue perhaps but Canon sells a couple of magnitudes more Rebels than those combined and in turn those lag smartphones by a couple of.magnitudes. Most photos made today are not from an SLR. Canon could close down SLR production tomorrow and most people wouldn't notice or care.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
degos said:
Talys said:
Dude, you took that hook, line, and sinker. Mechanical watches accounted for 77% of the wristwatch marketshare, versus electronic watches, and that's with smartwatches factored in.

77% by value, not volume. The vast vast majority of the watch-buying public buy something with a quartz oscillator in it.

That is almost certainly true, but also, most mechanical watches these days have battery + quartz driven movements. In other words, many of those with quartz oscillators are also geared mechanical watches. A better distinction is mechanical versus digital.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
3kramd5 said:
degos said:
Talys said:

77% by value, not volume. The vast vast majority of the watch-buying public buy something with a quartz oscillator in it.

That is almost certainly true, but also, most mechanical watches these days have battery + quartz driven movements. In other words, many of those with quartz oscillators are also geared mechanical watches. A better distinction is mechanical versus digital.

Apparently those of us with sundials are not a significant sector of the market...... but more importantly, isn’t this thread about waiting for mirrorless FF cameras..... oh wait, you can clock the progress on a sundial..... I gues it is relevant

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
slclick said:
Don Haines said:
3kramd5 said:
degos said:
Talys said:

Apparently those of us with sundials are not a significant sector of the market...... but more importantly, isn’t this thread about waiting for mirrorless FF cameras..... oh wait, you can clock the progress on a sundial..... I gues it is relevant

DxO is so biased, they only give sundials 16 stops of DR

Plus they’re also based on moving parts ( in particular the earth relative to the sun), which AvTVM no likey.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
3kramd5 said:
degos said:
Talys said:

I supplied the link to the source: https://www.statisticbrain.com/wrist-watch-industry-statistics/

There is good breakdown information there. China and Hong Kong account for about a billion out of 1.2 billion wristwatches. But, because they're only worth about $3 each, whereas Swiss watches are worth $739 (and are largely mechanical) the Chinese watches account for a small piece of the value pie. The Chinese slice of the profit pie is probably infinitessimally small compared to the Swiss watchmakers.

The analogy that I was drawing was simply that people buy products for a wide variety of reasons that aren't always obvious, and may not make sense to some. Some of us may have tunnel vision, conflating our own preferences for market viability.

Just like AvTvM did, it's easy to jump from, "I would never buy a mechanical wristwatch" to, "Mechanical wristwatches are dead". Now, just drop in DSLRs.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
3kramd5 said:
slclick said:
Don Haines said:
3kramd5 said:
degos said:
Talys said:

DxO is so biased, they only give sundials 16 stops of DR

Plus they’re also based on moving parts ( in particular the earth relative to the sun), which AvTVM no likey.

everything seems to have a built-in clock these days..... your phone, your computer, the stove, the microwave, the car, the bicycle computer, the camera(s)..... you can't seem to be able to get away from time sources, so I have not bought or worn a watch for at least 20 years...

The only time I can remember buying something specifically to tell time were a bunch or GPS trained rubidium clocks for work...... not exactly something that you wear on the wrist!

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Talys said:
3kramd5 said:
degos said:
Talys said:

I supplied the link to the source: https://www.statisticbrain.com/wrist-watch-industry-statistics/

There is good breakdown information there. China and Hong Kong account for about a billion out of 1.2 billion wristwatches. But, because they're only worth about $3 each, whereas Swiss watches are worth $739 (and are largely mechanical) the Chinese watches account for a small piece of the value pie. The Chinese slice of the profit pie is probably infinitessimally small compared to the Swiss watchmakers.

The analogy that I was drawing was simply that people buy products for a wide variety of reasons that aren't always obvious, and may not make sense to some. Some of us may have tunnel vision, conflating our own preferences for market viability.

Just like AvTvM did, it's easy to jump from, "I would never buy a mechanical wristwatch" to, "Mechanical wristwatches are dead". Now, just drop in DSLRs.

Yah I looked at the link, I’m just not clear on where they draw the distinction between mechanical and electronic. In my experience, watches are usually categorized as quartz, manual, or automatic, but as mentioned quartz watches are often mechanical.

I’d call both of these mechanical, and the one on my wrist. But one (left) has a quartz oscillator, one (right) is automatic, and one (not pictured but part of the 3% listing) is manual.

Edit: for some reason the picture flipped, so reverse which left with right in the above.
Edit 2: it’s only flipped in the thumbnail, and yes: neither are set :p

Attachments

• 857C522A-B602-4385-A3DE-2A187A5FA265.jpeg
    857C522A-B602-4385-A3DE-2A187A5FA265.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 108
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
3kramd5 said:
Yah I looked at the link, I’m just not clear on where they draw the distinction between mechanical and electronic. In my experience, watches are usually categorized as quartz, manual, or automatic, but as mentioned quartz watches are often mechanical.

I’d call both of these mechanical, and the one on my wrist. But one (left) has a quartz oscillator, one (right) is automatic, and one (not pictured but part of the 3% listing) is manual.

Edit: for some reason the picture flipped, so reverse which left with right in the above.
Edit 2: it’s only flipped in the thumbnail, and yes: neither are set :p

You're actually confusing the display type with the movement mechanism. The watches that you're describing have an Analog display (as opposed to Digital).

In the wristwatch industry, mechanical is defined as being powered by a spring, meaning either automatic or manual wind -- regardless of the price.

So, even a $6,000 Cartier that's battery-powered is considered an electronic (quartz) watch. An Omega Seamaster can be either, even though they are practically indistinguishable from the exterior.

Not every mechanical watch is expensive. There are plenty of cheap ones that cost almost nothing made out of China:

https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/mechanical-watches

There is actually an obvious benefit to wind-up mechanical watches over quartz, if you need a time piece. If you're in a poorer part of the world, for example, both a cheap wind-up and a cheap quartz are equally affordable/inexpensive, but one doesn't need a battery to be replaced. Maybe nobody on this forum would consider buying a cheap wind-up, but a lot of them are still made and sold to this day (and if they weren't being bought, even in the US, Walmart wouldn't sell them).

Bringing this full circle back to cameras, a good parallel to this is why a (relatively) inexpensive DSLR like the 4000D could potentially be viable in less affluent parts of the world.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I was actually only taking about the movement. I’m not a huge watch guy (I only have those and the wind-up Patek Philippe on my wrist), but I’ve never come across that distinction between analog and digital display. It seems to me that if there are gears and jewels, etc, it’s mechanical, even if the frequency is maintained by a crystal. But I’ll take your word for it.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
3kramd5 said:
I was actually only taking about the movement. I’m not a huge watch guy (I only have those and the Patek Philippe on my wrist), but I’ve never come across that distinction between mechanical and digital display. It seems to me that if there are gears and jewels, etc, it’s mechanical, even if the frequency is maintained by a crystal. But I’ll take your word for it.

Thanks 8) It's analog/digital on the display; mechanical/electronic (or quartz) on the movement.

I am actually NOT really a watch guy, but one of my best friends is, and I have purchased for him relatively inexpensive but rare mechanical watches for several of his birthdays. I've learned everything through osmosis from him :)

I am shocked at the price of some mechanical watches. They put the prices of super teles to shame, lol.

Upvote 0