Canon Full Frame Mirrorless is Definitely Coming, and The Wait Won't Be as Long as We Thought

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We have now confirmed from a couple of good sources that a full frame mirrorless camera is well into its development cycle, as the camera is being used by select Canon pro photographers. We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-asking-select-professionals-what-they-want-in-a-mirrorless-camera/">reported back in January that a survey</a> went out to some Explorers of Light about what they wanted to see in a “professional” mirrorless camera, and that dialogue has apparently continued.</p>
<p>While an announcement date is not yet set for the camera, and little is known about it specifications wise, I’m very confident we’re going to see something announced before the end of Q1 in 2019.</p>
<p>One source said that Canon has been quite open about the product development with professionals because they want to be sure to “get it right”, and they don’t want to fall into the trap of a first generation product not being great.</p>
<p>The biggest question I want answered is what will the native lens mount be? No one has provided any reliable information on that or any other specifications.</p>
<p>I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a “development” announcement at Photokina if the camera itself isn’t ready for production.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Main thing I want to know is the Lens mount. My hope is that it is the EF mount, but my head tells me from what I could gather from the previous interview is that they will probably have an adapter 'to not ignore the millions if EF users' but use the new EF-M mount to take advantage of the new tech they can develop. Just makes sense, even though it would mean losing the EF range.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If they're seeking (and have been influenced by) pros and EoLs, I suspect the new FF MILC will keep the standard EF mount. These are mainly people who are used to the ergonomics of 1- and 5-series bodies, and while a FF MILC can be a bit smaller than those bodies while maintaining similar ergonomics, I would expect something closer to an xxD body size/shape for the FF MILC, rather than something closer to the M5.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
exkeks said:
Anxiously waiting if it'll be like 1D-expensive or only like 5D-expensive...

My guess is 5D expensive with a (largely) 6D feature-set -- though perhaps with an on-chip sensor.

There's no denying that they'll upcharge mirrorless w.r.t. its SLR peers. Why wouldn't they? There's so much pent up demand for this.

And I think they're going to try to make the body quite small like an A7 and that will create precious little real estate for physical controls.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Also: does anyone believe the first FF mirrorless out of the gate will be anywhere other than relatively entry level?

I see them taking a very EOS M path forward here: start at the bottom, gobble up enthusiasts that want a new gadget and work your way up.

I'm not saying the entire spec list will be a sleeper -- perhaps we'll get 4K and a tilty-flippy. But I'm not at all expecting a 5-series feature set here.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
I suspect the new FF MILC will keep the standard EF mount.

Canon is possibly the only company big enough to do both: offer a thin mount FF mirrorless + a carefully curated handful of new mount lenses for the big dollar paying enthusiasts, while eventually also offering 5-series level mirrorless products with a full EF mount.

But no one will talk about that possibility on day one. Half of us will be furious Canon chose the other mount than the one we wanted and presume the decision is final.

- A

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
neuroanatomist said:
If they're seeking (and have been influenced by) pros and EoLs, I suspect the new FF MILC will keep the standard EF mount.

Strangely the only EoL I know told me he was hoping for a new mount.

I think we'll see a new mount, but with an included adaptor that can be FIRMLY attached (ie bolted down) to the body for those who need EF lenses more than the new lenses.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
I don't see a problem with them using an adapter for the EF mount "as long as" the mount behind it is equally large (or larger).

What would be really awesome is if they would design the Mirrorless mount for an even larger sensor, and then use the adapter for smaller "35mm crop lenses".
Basically the Canon "Professional" Mirrorless camera should be Medium Format Compatible, but this should still be sold in 35mm format as well.

I'd still be happy with a native EF mount and no mirror (or just a hybrid EVF allowing focus peaking on an SLR).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BeenThere said:
If it is in the hands of pros for testing, then it must be of a quality and feature set of interest to pros. Right?

Sure, because lower level rigs are only vetted by forum-dwelling enthusiasts? (My 90D pre-production unit is running brilliantly, btw. :p)

(sorry, couldn't resist.)

I think pros see these rigs regardless of spec, especially for even a modestly-spec'd FF mirrorless offering. 1) Canon wants these rigs to handle/operate well and EoL can surely shake out the bugs, but also 2) even if it's modestly spec'd, it's still the first horse out of the gate and Canon still wants every current FF user to buy one.

So I see pros testing an enthusiast unit like this as a chance for them to learn how a smaller rig might benefit them in general. It's a certainty on launch week one of these EoL folks spins a yarn like "Now this [name here] can't do everything my 1-series can, but I was surprised at how well it does _____" or "I brought on a trip as a b-cam recently and you'd be amazed how often I ended up using it!"

I think they will try to sell this one to every single FF user on day one. We are (by far) an easier sales mountain to climb than flipping Nikon or Sony users.

- A

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
neuroanatomist said:
If they're seeking (and have been influenced by) pros and EoLs, I suspect the new FF MILC will keep the standard EF mount. These are mainly people who are used to the ergonomics of 1- and 5-series bodies, and while a FF MILC can be a bit smaller than those bodies while maintaining similar ergonomics, I would expect something closer to an xxD body size/shape for the FF MILC, rather than something closer to the M5.

Neuro, if you are right, I will happily buy one :)

This is exactly the device I would like.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
neuroanatomist said:
hy

I agree that the first new Canon mirrorless is likely to have an EF mount. However, a questionnaire to Canon professionals early this year could indicate that a highend FF mirrorless is not in the late stages of development, and therefore would not be the first FF mirrorless. My guess is the first fullframe mirrorless might be the camera that quite a few people wanted the 6DII to be, with a derivative of the 5DIV sensor, 4K video, and maybe an articulated screen. (It might even have two card slots.) The price would be somewhere between the 6DII and the 5D Mark IV.

There have been intense but opposite internet reactions to the 6DII and the Sony A7III, which tells me that there is interest in the internet crowd at least, in a camera at this price level with "innovative" and "state of the art" performance features.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
BillB said:
neuroanatomist said:
hy

I agree that the first new Canon mirrorless is likely to have an EF mount. However, a questionnaire to Canon professionals early this year could indicate that a highend FF mirrorless is not in the late stages of development, and therefore would not be the first FF mirrorless. My guess is the first fullframe mirrorless might be the camera that quite a few people wanted the 6DII to be, with a derivative of the 5DIV sensor, 4K video, and maybe an articulated screen. (It might even have two card slots.) The price would be somewhere between the 6DII and the 5D Mark IV.

There have been intense but opposite internet reactions to the 6DII and the Sony A7III, which tells me that there is interest in the internet crowd at least, in a camera at this price level with "innovative" and "state of the art" performance features.

The Mirrorless Canon that has 5D4 sensor and features will not be priced somewhere between 6DII and 5DIV. It will be priced somewhere around 5DIV. I'm not sure why anyone would expect otherwise.

I do expect that there will be a Mirrorless Canon that is lower-specced and will cost less than that... but I mean, these things aren't rocket science.

OTOH, I really look forward to the next DSLR replacement that advances the 5DSR more than either of those, although they all have potential for taking my money.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BillB said:

Canon will not try to go punch for punch with Sony on the body spec side of things. They'll get murdered there -- Sony's would appear to be giving that A7 III rig away at cost.

Remember, this product will be overwhelmingly aimed at Canon users. So it's far more important that this rig handles brilliantly / seamlessly with other other Canon rigs than it sings on a spec sheet.

- A

Upvote 0