Canon Full Frame Mirrorless is Definitely Coming, and The Wait Won't Be as Long as We Thought

Jul 30, 2010
CanonFanBoy said:
Rocky said:
For "spinning pendulum" timed mechanical watch, the second hand movement is continuous.
For "quartz" timed mechanical watch, the second hand movement is stepping each second.

And that's how one spots a fake Rolex.
Some fake Rolex are so good that they are fully mechanical, case and band look exactly like the real one. One trick is to weight them with accuracy up to 0.1 gram

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Rocky said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Rocky said:
For "spinning pendulum" timed mechanical watch, the second hand movement is continuous.
For "quartz" timed mechanical watch, the second hand movement is stepping each second.

And that's how one spots a fake Rolex.
Some fake Rolex are so good that they are fully mechanical, case and band look exactly like the real one. One trick is to weight them with accuracy up to 0.1 gram

It's too bad there aren't cheap 200-400 knockoffs that are indistinguishable except for a tenth-gram weight difference :D

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Rocky said:

Why would a "spinning pendulum" preclude the use of an escapement?

Further, the smoothest Rolex second hand movements are quartz modulated.

"A few of Seiko's high-end models have a truly continuous second hand sweep with no mechanically induced stutter if they use a movement type called spring drive, which uses a quartz mechanism to regulate the timepiece so that it doesn't need to have an oscillating balance wheel while preserving the fundamentally mechanical nature of the timepiece. "

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
i must admit, that i do prefer analog DISPLAY on timepieces. Because i am old enough to have grown up with it ... clockface, 2 clock-hands/needles ... 1 quick glance and i know what time it is, with more than sufficient precision for anything i do.

That said, i dont want or like mechanical/geared stuff ... so in my ideal world, a watch is fully electronic, solid state .... if a small bit of slightly swinging quartz is included that's fine with me, long as it does not make any noise audible to me or any vibrations perceptible for me ... with an ANALOG-LOOK clockface. e.g. LCD or OLED or whatever electronic display showing time not in figures but on a (virtual) clockface with 2 moving virtual clockhands. 100% mechanics-free.

my first own wristwatch was a digital Seiko ... similar to this "James Bond" version here.
seiko-0674-james-bond-watch-the-spy-who-loved-me-20090319c2-460w.jpg

Way back in the mid 1970s ... sub-optimal, because interface was not as intuitive as clockface with 2 hands. But way cool, was the first guy in town sporting one. lol

My first own car had a digital speedometer ... with those shiny red LED figures. No needle moving. Just those number racing from 0 to 200 in one smooth rapid flow when accelerating. LOL. Loved it. :)

193zgrvyljw8qjpg.jpg

"way back" in 1986 ...

Now, more than 30 years later I still should have to put up with mirror and submirrors slapping when all i want is a a truly electronic, fully digital Canon camera with a 36x24mm sensor. No f+cking way, stupid Canon!

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
i must admit, that i do prefer analog DISPLAY on timepieces. Because i am old enough to have grown up with it ... clockface, 2 clock-hands/needles ... 1 quick glance and i know what time it is, with more than sufficient precision for anything i do.
Now you understand the importance of a comfortable user interface and ergonomics. While a digital watch can make it easier to see the precise time, an analog watch is quick, easy and comfortable.

That said, i dont want or like mechanical/geared stuff ... so in my ideal world
Your ideal world. Others may have different preferences.

Now, more than 30 years later I still should have to put up with mirror and submirrors slapping when all i want is
Why is this about what you should have to "put up with?"

I recently went looking for a new watch, and was astonished at the variety available at very low cost. Considering how much more expensive it is to make ILC's, it's not really feasible to create a similar variety that will satisfy each person's individual ergonomic and aesthetic preferences. Manufacturers produce what they think will be profitable. You must simply learn that you can't have everything you, personally, want. It'll happen when the manufacturers think it's time, and one vocal advocate is likely seen as an outlier, or a counterexample, rather than as a sign of the trend. They'll go by sales statistics, not forum post statistics.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have a smartwatch that allows me to choose an analog-style clock face, a digital clock face, or a combination display, as I choose.

Wouldn't it be great if my ILC offered a mirror and OVF for quick response, tracking, and better battery life, but could also get the mirror out of the way to show the sensor feed for a WYSIWYG display, enhanced brightness in dim light, and information overlays? Yeah...I'd really like an ILC like that!!

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
I have a smartwatch that allows me to choose an analog-style clock face, a digital clock face, or a combination display, as I choose.

Wouldn't it be great if my ILC offered a mirror and OVF for quick response, tracking, and better battery life, but could also get the mirror out of the way to show the sensor feed for a WYSIWYG display, enhanced brightness in dim light, and information overlays? Yeah...I'd really like an ILC like that!!
There was discussion of this a while back when the rumor floated that a "hybrid" VF was in the works. I agree, this would be a nice transition.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Orangutan said:
neuroanatomist said:

There was discussion of this a while back when the rumor floated that a "hybrid" VF was in the works. I agree, this would be a nice transition.

Forgot my disingenuous [sarcasm] tag.

No transition needed. Think dSLR + Live View.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:

The technology is largely there, yes, but a transition is still needed if you want to do this all through the viewfinder like I do. I'm keenly interested in shooting manual lenses handheld, and I have no desire to do that with the camera held out 6-12" in front of my eye.

That said, I don't need a hybrid. Pure EVF would work for me as I don't use servo or high fps shooting that often. I'm shooting One Shot almost all the time, so an EVF that can do One Shot with benefits would be attractive.

- A

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
ahsanford said:
I'm keenly interested in shooting manual lenses handheld, and I have no desire to do that with the camera held out 6-12" in front of my eye.
- A

If you're looking at stills photography and relatively shallow dof don't hold your breath ;)

I have found that the various unmagnified aids in the more recent EVF are pretty flawed when it comes to accuracy. In fact with manual, very fast lenses I'd say the 's' screen is still more accurate. Focus peaking with manual lenses sounds great in theory, but unless the dof is genuinely very shallow, say for instance the eyelashes in a tight head portrait on an 85mm, the graduation of contrast makes it pretty inaccurate. Magnifying does make it accurate but that's pretty darn useless most of the time when having a viewfinder up to your eye.

A little like digital display watches mirrorless in its present state on larger cameras will rise and fall - - a Sporgon prediction

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
ahsanford said:
neuroanatomist said:

The technology is largely there, yes, but a transition is still needed if you want to do this all through the viewfinder like I do. I'm keenly interested in shooting manual lenses handheld, and I have no desire to do that with the camera held out 6-12" in front of my eye.

That said, I don't need a hybrid. Pure EVF would work for me as I don't use servo or high fps shooting that often. I'm shooting One Shot almost all the time, so an EVF that can do One Shot with benefits would be attractive.

- A

Have you used an M5? The EVF is pretty good imo. My opinion is based upon first using an Olympus Pen F which truly sucks big time...lag and jumpiness wise. Plus it was far too contrasty. If you are mainly shooting stills and non moving objects, the AF Touch and Drag setting of Absolute gives great control with AF of small areas. I prefer using the right side of the screen with my right thumb while using the EVF

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
Have you used an M5? The EVF is pretty good imo. My opinion is based upon first using an Olympus Pen F which truly sucks big time...lag and jumpiness wise. Plus it was far too contrasty. If you are mainly shooting stills and non moving objects, the AF Touch and Drag setting of Absolute gives great control with AF of small areas. I prefer using the right side of the screen with my right thumb while using the EVF

Negative, though I'm guessing I'd be fine with it. My AF needs are modest -- spread of points I'll take as 'pro' / comprehensive as possible, but otherwise I don't really put my 5D3 AF through its paces. So I'm guessing I would have been a fine early adopter to mirrorless.

I just love my 5D3 and what has come out since isn't worth its delta in performance over what I already have, nor will it get me to shoot more and improve my game. So I'm good for now.

- A

Upvote 0