Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Talk [CR1]

Dec 19, 2014
My experience somewhat mirrors yours but using the larger cameras. Of the 6D, 7D, 5D, 1Dc/1Dx, C100, C200, C300, C700 cameras we have here, my actual favorite is the 1D series because my hands are so large. Even the 5D series (mark 2 to mark 4) is too small for me. i NEED that large battery to feel comfortable shooting hockey, soccer (football), basketball and our industrial systems work. For the mirrorless cameras between the M50 and M5, I take the M50 because it "Feels Larger" to me in size over the M5. I have done a pro shoot on an M50 and I am VERY SURPRISED at just how good the 4K video running at 24 fps is when you use a decent 50 mm, 85mm or 135mm lens even when using a custom adapter! I personally like shooting everything MANUALLY where I do the focus, iris for primes and zooming if i'm on a zoom lens so the autofocus is not an issue I need to worry about.

I actually PREFER the image output of the M50 over the M5 as it SEEMS to give me sharper video footage. The rolling shutter issue is controllable by opening up the iris and changing your angles for action shots to mostly persons objects coming into me frontwards or directly away from me rather than side to side motion! After that, Blackmagic Resolve works WONDERS on the M50 4k video footage brightening, saturating and sharpening it to my heart's delight!

If your tool has limitations, you work WITHIN your tool's limitation or you use creative techniques to get AROUND the limitations. The M50 really doesn't have too many limitations other than more rolling shutter than my 5Dmk4/1Dc/1Dxmk2 cameras. Image quality is quite comparable if those limitations are taken into account during filming!

NOW....what I DO EXPECT from Canon is that it's new Mirrorless Full Frame camera will have some Stills and Video features (based upon my sources!) that are quite a bit more spectacular than many have surmised here. You're going to be getting a bit of a treat on about four common features coming very soon now. After that the NEXT Canon camera is where the BIG GUNS from Canon are coming out because THAT ONE is Medium Format and the REASON I KNOW that is because ANOTHER MF large sensor camera is coming out from a certain company at a certain time which will turn the Stills and Video industry UPSIDE DOWN with it's everything AND the kitchen sync feature set ;-) :) stuffed into a smallish kinda-XC15-like form factor but using a DCI 8K by 6K up-to-120 fps at FULL SIZE of the MF sensor and MF lenses allowing use of the many built-in interframe and intraframe RAW/444/422/420 codecs and many image frame sizes and aspect ratios WITHOUT having to buy extra licences!

REMEMBER! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!

Everything we HEARD HERE FIRST has also died here.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Sony a7r iii has one

Since bokehmon was asking about which camera company will package an EVF with two unqualified characteristics first, one must assume that no camera currently available has one yet, thus the A9/A7R3 EVF in this context is either not high resolution, not fast, or both.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
“R” actually stands for “Response to Nikon and Sony,” as in “we’re making a FF mirrorless because we have to.” ;):)

It certainly feels that way. I applaud Sony for making the huge leaps they've made with the development of the Alpha series, but I'm not convinced mirrorless is a "must-have" solution for photographers that Canikon need to follow; at this stage anyway. It has advantages undoubtedly - smaller body size, mitigation of mirror-slap effect, shorter flange distance for significant lens adaptability, and on-sensor phase-detection capability for enhanced continuous subject tracking. But battery life isn't up to DSLR potential yet, ergonomics seen in the A7 III, A7R III, and A9 still don't feel as comfortable (for me) as a 5D, 6D, or 1D, and while Canon's DPAF is the best in the business, it doesn't seem fast enough to replace their traditional double cross-type phase detection AF units in their DSLRs.

A this stage it looks like benefits of mirrorless cameras are realized by hybrid shooters, or videographers. I just don't see the game-changing benefits for dedicated stills photographers yet. But there are a few future developments that could change my mind. 1) EVFs that exceed the Leica SL in clarity and Sony A9 in refresh rate, 2) extremely fast e-shutter readout speeds (1/400th second without banding/rolling shutter artifacts), and 3) next-gen DPAF system that imitates double cross-type phase detection in terms of acquisition speed.

It might take Canon some time to develop all of that, so I just hope they keep making DSLRs until they do :)

Upvote 0

ken

Engineer, snapper of photos, player of banjos
CR Pro
Aug 8, 2016
Huntsville, AL
Right. “R” is the key.
It stands for 50 MP 20FPS 15 stop dynamic range with a universal shutter for about 2000 dollars.
It’s a secret code.

They're going to use R for resolution, just like Sony, as retribution for Sony making white lenses. ;):eek:o_O:p

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
But there are a few future developments that could change my mind. 1) EVFs that exceed the Leica SL in clarity and Sony A9 in refresh rate, 2) extremely fast e-shutter readout speeds (1/400th second without banding/rolling shutter artifacts), and 3) next-gen DPAF system that imitates double cross-type phase detection in terms of acquisition speed.

1) exceed by how much?
2) faster then 1/400 is probably a matter of time (maybe two generations), although rolling shutters will always roll.
3) boy, dual cross would require what, 9 diodes per photosite? At that point I imagine there would to too many cons to that trade. Incidentally does a dual cross help acquisiton speed per se, or merely increase the chances that there is something properly oriented to detect (and also add a second level of f-stop compatibility in a single location)? If they go with clocking of the pairs by 90 degrees in adjacent photosites, given that they’re ubiquitous throughout the frame, I suspect that would close the gap created by the diagonally oriented pairs in a dedicated PDAF unit.

Upvote 0
Nikon is at Canon's heels already. Actually, Nikon have probably run over Canon already. At least they've released a new video with fragments of the new mirrorless. Just think about it, we don't even have an obscure video from Canon. No announcements, no video, no nothing. Not even reliable rumors. All we have is this 'R'.
While Nikon lovers are saving money for their new toy, we're digesting this 'R' here. C'mon Canon, R doesn't shoot photos!! What R you doing!!!

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Nikon is at Canon's heels already. Actually, Nikon have probably run over Canon already. At least they've released a new video with fragments of the new mirrorless. Just think about it, we don't even have an obscure video from Canon. No announcements, no video, no nothing. Not even reliable rumors. All we have is this 'R'.
While Nikon lovers are saving money for their new toy, we're digesting this 'R' here. C'mon Canon, R doesn't shoot photos!! What R you doing!!!

That’s a good one! As Canon’s marketshare continues to move up, Nikon’s is continuing to move down.

In the grand scheme of things, a few months more or less, isn’t going to make any difference. After all, Sony has years of experience with mirrorless full frame now, and it will mean nothing a year after both Canon and Nikon come out with theirs.

Nikon has another problem, which is quality control. The past few years has not been kind to them. Their responses to these problems has been poor.

It doesn’t matter if Nikon shows product right before Photokina, or during, and Canon waits until early next year.

Upvote 0
1) exceed by how much?

I was thinking a level of visual fidelity to rival OVFs, so maybe 7-8 million dots at 60+ FPS. I know Sony and a few other manufacturers are developing 5+ million dot EVFs at 240FPS, so it might not be too far in the future

2) faster then 1/400 is probably a matter of time (maybe two generations), although rolling shutters will always roll.

I imagine so. The A9 can get up to 1/160th second before banding/rolling is seen. I guess we just need faster stacked sensor designs.

3) boy, dual cross would require what, 9 diodes per photosite? At that point I imagine there would to too many cons to that trade. Incidentally does a dual cross help acquisiton speed per se, or merely increase the chances that there is something properly oriented to detect (and also add a second level of f-stop compatibility in a single location)? If they go with clocking of the pairs by 90 degrees in adjacent photosites, given that they’re ubiquitous throughout the frame, I suspect that would close the gap created by the diagonally oriented pairs in a dedicated PDAF unit.

Yeah I was thinking nine, or eight anyway. I know Canon is already working on their next-gen DPAF, so I have a feeling they're coming up with a method to incorporate expanded directional orientation in their pixels. I'm already satisfied with DPAF subject tracking, but I'd like a mode for rapid subject acquisition.

Upvote 0
What metric shows Nikon at Canon's heels? Technology? Sales? Satisfaction?

Yes, Nikon is releasing teasers regularly, but frankly it's all vapourware until it's released. I think Nikon is releasing this slow trickle of rumours to keep users from transitioning to another brand before they make their release. I'd rather Canon take their time and get it right myself.

I'm betting that Canon is trying to prevent leaks because something they're releasing may be cannon fodder (pardon the pun) for commentary from bloggers/media - i.e. topics people are passionate about which may let some down. For instance - if it is a new mount, Canon may want to control the messaging when it is announced by providing justification for that decision instead of having the collective photography community react before understanding the decision. Camera bloggers/media outlets haven't exactly been kind to Canon over the last several months, so why would Canon want to leave the messaging on their new release to them?

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Don't project your opinion on other people. I personally like the look of Canon's recent M cameras. They look much better than the APS-C Sonys or the retro deaign cameras to me.

Even so, my 80D looks even better so going a bit thicker with the modern design of the M50 is going the right direction for me.

I also actually like the M5/M50 look, feel and function much better than the cell phone look of Sony and the other M series Canon cameras.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
...because it could allow for new possibilities such as smaller light lenses, while still retain full EF compatibility thru an adapter. I'm not saying it would be the way to go, but it seems some people would not mind a new mount at all. I personally don't care much.

It can be done without a new mount as well, e.g. EOS-M for which the 'adapter' is merely an extension tube.

Upvote 0