Canon has purchased a Fujitsu FX1000 supercomputer to go “no-prototype” in product development

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Canon is moving forward with their “no-prototype” product development with the purchase of a Fujitsu FX1000 supercomputer. Canon will take delivery of the system in the first half of 2021.
I would imagine this will help lower development costs, as well as make the development of new products more efficient and most likely quicker.
Press Release:
TOKYO, Sept. 22, 2020 — Fujitsu Limited today announced that it has received an order for a new supercomputer system from Canon Inc.
The system consists of a Fujitsu Supercomputer PRIMEHPC FX1000 unit, which harnesses top-class technology from the world’s fastest supercomputer, Fugaku, which was jointly developed by RIKEN and Fujitsu. The new supercomputer will achieve an expected theoretical computational performance of 648.8 teraflops.
Upon completion, the supercomputer will play a key role in contributing to Canon’s initiative...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
They’ve already got 2 other previous generation Fujitsu supercomputers, so presumably they’re already well versed in the limitations of what can be done....

Combined with AI capabilities in can hopefully reduce the number of iterations required and thus reduce costs.

There’s an AI hardware add on I think I saw on petapixel which decides camera settings so you can focus on the picture itself.

Increasingly AI and massive compute seems to feature heavily in our future. Glad Canon is investing to remain competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Sounds like it'll be able to handle all the social media input about what people want for new product development.

Well maybe now they could actually do some user surveys...

In 32 years of using Canon I've never once seen any form of market research despite registering my products. Little wonder they get such a tough time at product releases when they haven't actually asked what their users want or need.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0