Let’s talk about the Canon EOS R1 development [CR2]

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Because (I live in South Texas) 70% of the planet has never seen snow or ice, and are pretty clueless about the various sports being showcased at winter olympics (their loss, I agree, I grew up on skis in Switzerland). Summer Olympics are much more popular. I found this online: "The 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, Canada, were watched by 3.5 million people worldwide. The most recent summer games, held in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, drew in an audience of 3.6 billion viewers."
3.6 billion (which was the entire population of planet Earth in the early 1970s!) versus 3.5 million? A better-than-thousandfold difference? Holy smokes.

Mikehit

EOS R6
Jul 28, 2015
I think your premise there is simply not matching what's actually going on. It would be news to me if the image signal of each pixel wasn't just the sum of the two half-pixels' values.
On the 5DIV that is certainly not the case - as evidenced by the fact that there is software out there that can use the data from both subframes and improve the dynamic range of the 5DIV by up to a stop. Unless something happened between the 5DIV and the EOS-R that I have not read about.

Mikehit

EOS R6
Jul 28, 2015
Did you know, this was actually a function in use on the EOS 3.. And that was an analog camera.. I wonder why it hasn’t shown up in digital cameras so far.. I mean, they stopped making the EOS 3 in 2003 or something..
Of what I remember the technology had very mixed reception - whether it was the use people put it to or variability in performance I don't know but even though many were not particularly impressed it certainly had its advocates .