Canon has released a major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5 C v1.0.4.1

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
v1.0.4.1 - I did some testing.

I really love the R5 C, but was sad the update did not include support the for the EL-5 or ST-E10. I did make another [+]Feedback request with Canon for this. Every other body with the MFS is getting it, surprised we have not.

Random: The camera does not work with the DJI RS3 Pro gimbal - 1.0.3.1 & 1.0.4.1 FW tested. - Reported by a friend.

My tests:
What functions are restricted when power save mode is enabled? Source: Canon Asia

PS Mode.png

An updated version of the user guide (video edition) was released the same day as the firmware.

PS Matrix.png

Network Functions are mentioned. For a moment I thought > Basic Start/Stop for video via Canon Connect (but no
:slightly_frowning_face:
). It pertains to wired ethernet.

The power saving mode adds about 11-15 min of recording time in 4k. I didn't run for the full time, but the battery indicator held up during stationary shooting.

I tested the digital teleconverter. This is a huge feature and allows you to bump from 1.5x ~ 3.0x. I didn't notice any degradation in IQ. I only played back on the LCD though. The 3x perspective was massive. These modes could be useful for product reviews and macro videos. If Canon could do this on the photo side (and I'm pretty sure they will) think how great it would be not to have a TC built into a lens. Everyone wins.
:thumbs_up:

Time to boot and switch between photo/video and vice versa. This was about 8-9 sec. It never bothered me. After the update, the camera now boots and switches between modes in about 3 sec.
:fast_forward_button:

Tried the new AF features. What's new > Face and Head Detection (Video Menu, Tab 5) With this on and Eye Detection on, your subject can rotate from Face and Eye to side of face/head to back of head, and the AF tracks extremely well. If you turn off Eye Detection, the AF grabs your head and tracks regardless of rotation or orientation. Face, facing forward, or back of head moving closer or farther away from the camera, and all without you having to tell it what to look for. It just works.
:smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

The one last thing I haven't done is test the AF subject selection via Control Ring or dial. Many asked for the ability to use the rear dial for aperture adjustment in video mode. Now you can do subject selection. I have programmed Button 9 for Tracking and can toggle between subjects that way. The dial may be quicker. Not sure yet, but its great the dial now has a purpose in video mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Oh no! Canon releasing an update for a camera that did not get a nothing major since it’s in the market while it’s sibling did? What a nightmare! Canon not delivering in the way you hoped on a promise they never made? What an outrage!

I hope that the R5 does get some more love too, yet being upset that another camera gets an upgrade when there are only rumours about what’s supposed to happen? I find that somewhat childish. I can understand some disappointment when the next one for the R5 drops and it’s not quite what you hoped but when another one gets something try to be happy for all those users that now own a better camera.

the rumours also point to 2.0 being the bigger one that may contain something you’re hoping for, but no one knows for sure, and 1.9 and 2.0 are „scheduled“ for mid July and beginning of December if the last releases are anything to go by. So be patient and be happy for other people instead of complaining.
I Hate when Canon doesn’t deliver on promises they never made. Apple gets a lot of that too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
v1.0.4.1 - I did some testing.

I really love the R5 C, but was sad the update did not include support the for the EL-5 or ST-E10. I did make another [+]Feedback request with Canon for this. Every other body with the MFS is getting it, surprised we have not.

Random: The camera does not work with the DJI RS3 Pro gimbal - 1.0.3.1 & 1.0.4.1 FW tested. - Reported by a friend.

My tests:
What functions are restricted when power save mode is enabled? Source: Canon Asia

View attachment 209744

An updated version of the user guide (video edition) was released the same day as the firmware.

View attachment 209745

Network Functions are mentioned. For a moment I thought > Basic Start/Stop for video via Canon Connect (but no
:slightly_frowning_face:
). It pertains to wired ethernet.

The power saving mode adds about 11-15 min of recording time in 4k. I didn't run for the full time, but the battery indicator held up during stationary shooting.

I tested the digital teleconverter. This is a huge feature and allows you to bump from 1.5x ~ 3.0x. I didn't notice any degradation in IQ. I only played back on the LCD though. The 3x perspective was massive. These modes could be useful for product reviews and macro videos. If Canon could do this on the photo side (and I'm pretty sure they will) think how great it would be not to have a TC built into a lens. Everyone wins.
:thumbs_up:

Time to boot and switch between photo/video and vice versa. This was about 8-9 sec. It never bothered me. After the update, the camera now boots and switches between modes in about 3 sec.
:fast_forward_button:

Tried the new AF features. What's new > Face and Head Detection (Video Menu, Tab 5) With this on and Eye Detection on, your subject can rotate from Face and Eye to side of face/head to back of head, and the AF tracks extremely well. If you turn off Eye Detection, the AF grabs your head and tracks regardless of rotation or orientation. Face, facing forward, or back of head moving closer or farther away from the camera, and all without you having to tell it what to look for. It just works.
:smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

The one last thing I haven't done is test the AF subject selection via Control Ring or dial. Many asked for the ability to use the rear dial for aperture adjustment in video mode. Now you can do subject selection. I have programmed Button 9 for Tracking and can toggle between subjects that way. The dial may be quicker. Not sure yet, but its great the dial now has a purpose in video mode.
I got more than than 11-15 mins after the upgrade in battery life when in power saving mode.
I did notice that around the 30 min mark maybe a little less that the battery went to 1 bar.
But the battery life timer that is next to the battery symbol said I had 30 mins and I will say it did indeed last for 30 mins .
That allowed me to fill a 128gb cf express card and I still had 15 mins left on the timer.
So I ran it til I exhausted the battery and I did get over an hour record time shooting 4k30 xfavc.
I am gonna run some more test but for me this is a huge improvement in battery life over the earlier firmware.
So on a single LP-ENH battery I was able to record for over an hour with no issues at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
@kingman652000,
Cheers for seeing the recording time through. I did a lazy man's test and spent all of 10 minutes., Your test was much more accurate and better than mine. I think I went to about 74 min. So this translated into over an hour. It does represent the 30% increase. Your test demonstrates the optimization we all knew could be done where the battery would show depleted in video mode and then show 2 bars if switched back to photo mode.

All things considered, its a fantastic update. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
@Scenes,
Have you confirmed this behavior yourself? Before I test this, is there info on how its undone? Can one just go out of C1, C2 or C3 and power cycle? Similar to how Pixel Shift actually works on the R5?

The page you referenced doesn't appear to work:

View attachment 209715

I knew I was buying a video-centric device and purposely skipped the R5 due to the initial reports of "overheating" which of course now have been largely rectified via firmware. Still however, I don't think Canon should expect R5 C owners to accept this if it does actually happen. I posted about it on the Canon Community and once confirmed, will report it to CPS.
The R5 overheats due to it not having a fan.
The firmware merely allows you to continue shooting a little longer. Continued use of that overide method depending on location ex Miami or Phoenix Arizona may eventually lead to board dammage. It overheats like any other fanless camera depending on settings and ambient environment. One just gets to bypass it now. With inherent risk. Settings are flashed to cmos. You toast the mainboard with Auto Temp High set, you'll be set back with out of pocket repair.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
The R5 overheats due to it not having a fan.
The firmware merely allows you to continue shooting a little longer. Continued use of that overide method depending on location ex Miami or Phoenix Arizona may eventually lead to board dammage. It overheats like any other fanless camera depending on settings and ambient environment. One just gets to bypass it now. With inherent risk. Settings are flashed to cmos. You toast the mainboard with Auto Temp High set, you'll be set back with out of pocket repair.
Thats one part of it. The thermal pad design isn't one of Canon's best endeavors, nor is the CPU's proximity of the CFExpress Type B reader. But they didn't have a lot of room. They made a camera which is much smaller that the C70. It may have done better initially with a passive heatsink. They needed the bandwidth of CF Express B for 8K, so there was no way around that. I would have been happy with 4K 60/120 TBH. I've used a lot of Canon cameras in extreme conditions. Never had one that I couldn't turn on. We all know that when the R5 was released, under certain conditions, you might not be able to turn on your $4k camera, and there was no way I could justify buying a racecar I could only drive at full speed for half the race. The R5 is a great camera. Canon did take a conservative approach initially, which was "improved" with FW updates. My opinion of the camera has changed accordingly. Yes, all it does is put a little more of the onus on the owner/user. "Hey I'm hot, but of you want to keep going"... you can. I remain pleased with my choice. I'd buy an R5 today, Its a still photographers dream, and since I am primarily a stills shooter, I recognize it for what it offers, but I like the R5 C a smidge more because chances are I can use it in more situations without having to worry about not being able to turn it on if and when I need it. The posts from people doing paid gigs who talked about having to break and sit in the car with the AC on was a joke. The battery door hack, etc.. I wouldn't spend that kind of money for this level of uncertainty, and I'm just an enthusiast. Its a good camera and if you understand its limitations, it can be made to work for most. Me however, I'll take the fan :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA

Please explain.
If you look on DJI website. They say the Ronin RS3 pro is tested/certified to work with the R5 C with FW version 1.0.0.1... he was running 1.0.2.1, didn't connect. Then 1.0.3.1, didn't connect. Then tried v1.0.4.1. He contacted their support. Basically DJI accused him of not connecting the gimbal to the correct USB-C port on the camera, except the camera only has one port, OK? ... then they said, oh, well go back to v1.0.0.1... like thats something someone would do. He sent it back. Its a beautiful gimbal, but doesn't work with later versions of FW apparently. He's not a weekend warrior and knows what he's doing. If he said it didn't work, I believe him. Here's their fine print.
1687134415263.png

Upvote 0
If you look on DJI website. They say the Ronin RS3 pro is tested/certified to work with the R5 C with FW version 1.0.0.1... he was running 1.0.2.1, didn't connect. Then 1.0.3.1, didn't connect. Then tried v1.0.4.1. He contacted their support. Basically DJI accused him of not connecting the gimbal to the correct USB-C port on the camera, except the camera only has one port, OK? ... then they said, oh, well go back to v1.0.0.1... like thats something someone would do. He sent it back. Its a beautiful gimbal, but doesn't work with later versions of FW apparently. He's not a weekend warrior and knows what he's doing. If he said it didn't work, I believe him. Here's their fine print.
View attachment 209750
Connect for the record trigger and to run power or just the record trigger?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Regarding the reported bugs with firmware 1.0.4.1:
  • I can't confirm the "pixel shift" bug when using custom modes. The files are the same size as before (both JPEG and RAW) on my model.
  • The camera also works with the DJI RS3 Pro as before and record start/stop can be triggered via the gimbal. A common problem when you can't control the camera over the USB-C port is that the cameras USB mode is set to the UVC protocol - you might want to switch it to PTP-connection. Then you should have no problems initiating recording on the gimbal
Also the power saving mode increased the estimated record time from 60mins to 76mins on a fresh battery (in 4k XF-AVC, 25p).

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Thats one part of it. The thermal pad design isn't one of Canon's best endeavors, nor is the CPU's proximity of the CFExpress Type B reader. But they didn't have a lot of room. They made a camera which is much smaller that the C70. It may have done better initially with a passive heatsink. They needed the bandwidth of CF Express B for 8K, so there was no way around that. I would have been happy with 4K 60/120 TBH. I've used a lot of Canon cameras in extreme conditions. Never had one that I couldn't turn on. We all know that when the R5 was released, under certain conditions, you might not be able to turn on your $4k camera, and there was no way I could justify buying a racecar I could only drive at full speed for half the race. The R5 is a great camera. Canon did take a conservative approach initially, which was "improved" with FW updates. My opinion of the camera has changed accordingly. Yes, all it does is put a little more of the onus on the owner/user. "Hey I'm hot, but of you want to keep going"... you can. I remain pleased with my choice. I'd buy an R5 today, Its a still photographers dream, and since I am primarily a stills shooter, I recognize it for what it offers, but I like the R5 C a smidge more because chances are I can use it in more situations without having to worry about not being able to turn it on if and when I need it. The posts from people doing paid gigs who talked about having to break and sit in the car with the AC on was a joke. The battery door hack, etc.. I wouldn't spend that kind of money for this level of uncertainty, and I'm just an enthusiast. Its a good camera and if you understand its limitations, it can be made to work for most. Me however, I'll take the fan :)
Great post. Shooting for up to an hour continuously might be great for most shooters but for some jobs that’s not good to cut it.

I had an R6 and could work around the overheating on a lot of jobs but the minute projects needed the camera to record 100% of the time I got an R5C. It’s about having the right tool for the job. No camera is perfect. It’s all trade offs.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
View attachment 209750
Ronin RS3 Pro works with 1.0.3.1 - have not tested the new firmware yet, but see no reason why it wouldn't work. Firmware on his Ronin up to date?

Upvote 0
Super exciting that Canon is add in all these new features. It's a sign that they are finally keeping up with the times and adding features through software. Thanks canon..... BUT............

For the cine line you really need new hardware. All canon cine cameras a lagging behind Sony, Red, Arri etc. If they want to stay in this game then they need to get a full range out ASAP. Look at these brands and how they could compete:

Sony
FX9 FF full featured (Studio)
FX6 FF full featured (HH)
FX3 FF Gimbal/pro-sumener
FX30 Super 35. They are missing a high end S35

Red
Raptor XL - full featured (Studio)
Raptor - FF full featured (HH)
Rptor S35 - flagship S35
Komodo X - S35 gimbal/ less features

Alexa
Alexa 35 - S35 flagship
Alexa LF - FF full featured

CANONS NEEDs - Brand new body design make it more boxy and add mounting points
C700 - FF Full Featured (Studio)
C500 - full featured (HH)
C300 - S35 - full featured (HH/studio)
C200 - S35 - Gimbal/pro-sumener/
C70 - S35 - Prosumer
C500 - FF prosumer

If they unified the body style of the 700/500/300/200 they would cully cover FF and S35 and compete at every level. Throw the RF mount on them all with build it user changeable mounts to EF and PL and they literally can't loose. They have the lenses, they now have lens data pass through.

Most of our work is filmed on canon - https://incolorstudios.com/

Let's go cannon.
Just for reference if know what are you talking about...

Go to CineD and check the Sensor ranking regarding laltitude... you will find out that Canon c70/c300 mark iii provide an outstanding DR of 12.8 stops at S/N ratio of 2. No Sony camera comes close. Then add that c70 has internal 12 bit raw, 10 stops of NDs, XLR, 4ch audio, Rf mount, 0.71x speed booster with no loss of IQ and so much more. Only plus on the Sony against Cinema line from Canon is the better af system but for me not a break deal at all! Red Komodo also is behind Canon's C70/c300 mark iii. Now Raptor costs 4 times a c70 and Alexa so much more! As for the Fx9 the DR is ridiculous lower than fx3/fx6. This is BiG already for Canon and if they keep bringing new fw updates to their cine/hybrid cameras then only better can be in the future. Lastly when you talk about FF remember that ARRI with Alexa with a s35 sensor and a resolution of 2.7k still destroys after so many years anything Canon/Nikon/Sony brings on the table. It's not about FF and it's not about resolution.... all these are marketing selling features and nothing more!

Upvote 0
Just for reference if know what are you talking about...

Go to CineD and check the Sensor ranking regarding laltitude... you will find out that Canon c70/c300 mark iii provide an outstanding DR of 12.8 stops at S/N ratio of 2. No Sony camera comes close. Then add that c70 has internal 12 bit raw, 10 stops of NDs, XLR, 4ch audio, Rf mount, 0.71x speed booster with no loss of IQ and so much more. Only plus on the Sony against Cinema line from Canon is the better af system but for me not a break deal at all! Red Komodo also is behind Canon's C70/c300 mark iii. Now Raptor costs 4 times a c70 and Alexa so much more! As for the Fx9 the DR is ridiculous lower than fx3/fx6. This is BiG already for Canon and if they keep bringing new fw updates to their cine/hybrid cameras then only better can be in the future. Lastly when you talk about FF remember that ARRI with Alexa with a s35 sensor and a resolution of 2.7k still destroys after so many years anything Canon/Nikon/Sony brings on the table. It's not about FF and it's not about resolution.... all these are marketing selling features and nothing more!
Full frame is not a marketing feature. But how is the Komodo behind the c70 in image quality / DR?

Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
This is yes and no both.
Sony has its plus point as all their cinema line cameras are full-frame. Canon only has R5C and high end caneras. Sony only has FX30 in the super35 mode.
Arri and Red have both s35 and full frame cinema cameras.
For affordable camera lines Canon (except for R5c) has stuck to S35 like Blackmagic.
A box style camera is a matter of choice, it has its pros and cons.
DSLR shaped camera bodies too have their pros and cons.
Red is the only one which has stuck to “box style”, and only Mini Alexas follow that format.
I have not seen other camera manufacturer going that way. Maybe there is reason.
I would agree with you here. I don't think having FF in every camera is a good thing either.
Sony is doing so well because there is a clear lineup that is built to be used together which is where I think canon is lacking. Cana cine cameras are great they just all fell like independent cameras and not a set with is important in many situations.
ox style is definitely not the the solution for every camera but having one in the range would be super helpful. It has its uses and is super powerful being able to build out a camera for needs. I think in a range of 3-5 cine cameras that canon has 1 box style would be be great.

Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
I'm still shocked to read some very ignorant people here.
THIS CAMERA IS AN HYBRID. END OF THE STORY.
you don't need both photo and video? BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

You want a FULL fuc.king cinema camera? Don't be on this site then. Go on Arri's or RED's.
"Throw the RF mount"?! you serious?
And then you say "most of our work is with canon" so you just bought the wrong camera?

have to say it agan,

Really man, I can't understand.
Why are you so angry? Especially when it seems like you don't fully understand development and discussion. let's break this down.
I'm still shocked to read some very ignorant people here
Wouldn't ignorant be swearing and shouting (all caps) when people are having a discussion?
You want a FULL fuc.king cinema camera? Don't be on this site then. Go on Arri's or RED's.
Canon have great cine cameras and do Sony, Red and Arri. Not sure what you are getting at here.
"Throw the RF mount"?! you serious?
Throw 'in' the RF mount. Yes. I believe they should include the RF mount in all their Cine lines and have it with user changeable mounts that sit above the RF. it seems like it was intended this way. so finger crossed.
And then you say "most of our work is with canon" so you just bought the wrong camera
Confused here. What I said is correct. most of our work is shooting on canon so I'm not sure why I bought the wrong camera? We love our canon cameras.
have to say it agan,
Not sure who you are talking to here. I didn't see anyone question if the R5c is a hybrid camera. Seems like you are angry at something but not explaining yourself very well.
Really man, I can't understand.
I completely agree with you here.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
No Sony camera comes close
Well, the Venice.
The fact that the rest of the full-frame line claims the same DR and has S-LOG 3 is laughable.
Sony even removed S-LOG 2 from some models.
I am glad that Canon refuses to add CLOG2 to the R5 C even though the people who fall for Sony marketing are whining for it.

Upvote 0