Canon has released a major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5 C v1.0.4.1

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Theres a bug in new R5C firmware for photography shooters. Found by Vitali Beliak.

Shooting photos in one of the C1 C2 C3 custom modes it can get confused and think it has the R5 pixel shift feature resulting in huge file sizes. Have tried it and can confirm. Doesn’t really effect me as I never use the C1 ect modes but could be annoying to some.

“Just switch it into one of custom modes. Turn off camera, then turn it back on. The pixel shift should be on at this point. I tried resetting settings, but it didn't help.” - Vitali Beliak

Reactions: 4 users

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Contrast this firmware release against that of the one for the R5. This indicates again, that Canon has little interest in still photographers and is focusing on the videography instead. They are fortunate that Nikon can\'t seem to produce their goods in sufficient quantities to serve as real competition.
Just to be clear. You’re mad that a video focussed camera got a video focussed update?

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
@Scenes,
Have you confirmed this behavior yourself? Before I test this, is there info on how its undone? Can one just go out of C1, C2 or C3 and power cycle? Similar to how Pixel Shift actually works on the R5?

The page you referenced doesn't appear to work:

1687014758031.png

I knew I was buying a video-centric device and purposely skipped the R5 due to the initial reports of "overheating" which of course now have been largely rectified via firmware. Still however, I don't think Canon should expect R5 C owners to accept this if it does actually happen. I posted about it on the Canon Community and once confirmed, will report it to CPS.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Yes, I confirmed it myself. Try it yourself using the steps I mentioned.

Put it into a custom mode
Take a picture
Turn it off. Then on again
Take a picture

Compare the two images. One will have a hugely inflated files size as it’s upscaling? It to pixel shift resolutions.

It’s easy to undo. Just change the camera back to manual mode.

Let me know your findings. But that’s what I found.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

clearlyed

R5, R5c, C200, c500 and loads of glass
Apr 20, 2020
incolorstudios.com
Super exciting that Canon is add in all these new features. It's a sign that they are finally keeping up with the times and adding features through software. Thanks canon..... BUT............

For the cine line you really need new hardware. All canon cine cameras a lagging behind Sony, Red, Arri etc. If they want to stay in this game then they need to get a full range out ASAP. Look at these brands and how they could compete:

Sony
FX9 FF full featured (Studio)
FX6 FF full featured (HH)
FX3 FF Gimbal/pro-sumener
FX30 Super 35. They are missing a high end S35

Red
Raptor XL - full featured (Studio)
Raptor - FF full featured (HH)
Rptor S35 - flagship S35
Komodo X - S35 gimbal/ less features

Alexa
Alexa 35 - S35 flagship
Alexa LF - FF full featured

CANONS NEEDs - Brand new body design make it more boxy and add mounting points
C700 - FF Full Featured (Studio)
C500 - full featured (HH)
C300 - S35 - full featured (HH/studio)
C200 - S35 - Gimbal/pro-sumener/
C70 - S35 - Prosumer
C500 - FF prosumer

If they unified the body style of the 700/500/300/200 they would cully cover FF and S35 and compete at every level. Throw the RF mount on them all with build it user changeable mounts to EF and PL and they literally can't loose. They have the lenses, they now have lens data pass through.

Most of our work is filmed on canon - https://incolorstudios.com/

Let's go cannon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
Yes, I confirmed it myself. Try it yourself using the steps I mentioned.

Put it into a custom mode
Take a picture
Turn it off. Then on again
Take a picture

Compare the two images. One will have a hugely inflated files size as it’s upscaling? It to pixel shift resolutions.

It’s easy to undo. Just change the camera back to manual mode.

Let me know your findings. But that’s what I found.
Thanks. I shoot RAW+JPEG on the stills side, so will test using that and compare JPEG sizes.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
They are fortunate that Nikon can\'t seem to produce their goods in sufficient quantities to serve as real competition.
In what way is Nikon better at photography than Canon?
Some people will argue a higher MP stacked sensor but that has nothing to do with firmware and is not just for photography either.

Upvote 0
Super exciting that Canon is add in all these new features. It's a sign that they are finally keeping up with the times and adding features through software. Thanks canon..... BUT............

For the cine line you really need new hardware. All canon cine cameras a lagging behind Sony, Red, Arri etc. If they want to stay in this game then they need to get a full range out ASAP. Look at these brands and how they could compete:

Sony

Red
Rptor S35 - flagship S35

Alexa
Alexa 35 - S35 flagship

C70 - S35 - Prosumer
C500 - FF prosumer

If they unified the body style of the 700/500/300/200 they would cully cover FF and S35 and compete at every level. Throw the RF mount on them all with build it user changeable mounts to EF and PL and they literally can't loose. They have the lenses, they now have lens data pass through.

Let's go cannon.
This is yes and no both.
Sony has its plus point as all their cinema line cameras are full-frame. Canon only has R5C and high end caneras. Sony only has FX30 in the super35 mode.
Arri and Red have both s35 and full frame cinema cameras.
For affordable camera lines Canon (except for R5c) has stuck to S35 like Blackmagic.
A box style camera is a matter of choice, it has its pros and cons.
DSLR shaped camera bodies too have their pros and cons.
Red is the only one which has stuck to “box style”, and only Mini Alexas follow that format.
I have not seen other camera manufacturer going that way. Maybe there is reason.

Upvote 0

Sony

Red
Rptor S35 - flagship S35

Alexa
Alexa 35 - S35 flagship

C70 - S35 - Prosumer
C500 - FF prosumer

Let's go cannon.
This is yes and no both.
Sony has its plus point as all their cinema line cameras are full-frame. Canon only has R5C and high end caneras.

Upvote 0
I'm still shocked to read some very ignorant people here.
THIS CAMERA IS AN HYBRID. END OF THE STORY.
you don't need both photo and video? BUY SOMETHING ELSE.

You want a FULL fuc.king cinema camera? Don't be on this site then. Go on Arri's or RED's.
"Throw the RF mount"?! you serious?
And then you say "most of our work is with canon" so you just bought the wrong camera?

have to say it agan,
THIS CAMERA IS AN HYBRID. END OF THE STORY.

Really man, I can't understand.

Sony

Red
Rptor S35 - flagship S35

Alexa
Alexa 35 - S35 flagship

C70 - S35 - Prosumer
C500 - FF prosumer

Let's go cannon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
I'll try to be civil. The "big" firmware update for the R5 was a joke whereas Canon produced a real firmware update for the video version. The firmware updates have largely ignored still photographers.
Oh no! Canon releasing an update for a camera that did not get a nothing major since it’s in the market while its sibling did? What a nightmare! Canon not delivering in the way you hoped on a promise they never made? What an outrage!

I hope that the R5 does get some more love too, yet being upset that another camera gets an upgrade when there are only rumours about what’s supposed to happen? I find that somewhat childish. I can understand some disappointment when the next one for the R5 drops and it’s not quite what you hoped but when another one gets something try to be happy for all those users that now own a better camera.

the rumours also point to 2.0 being the bigger one that may contain something you’re hoping for, but no one knows for sure, and 1.9 and 2.0 are „scheduled“ for mid July and beginning of December if the last releases are anything to go by. So be patient and be happy for other people instead of complaining.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0