Canon Introduces the EOS M5 Digital Camera and its First EF-M High Power Zoom Lens

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Arctic-Winds said:
xps said:
Nice mirrorless, but incredibly high pricing in Europe.
980$ in the US (=872€ in Europe). 1140€ in Germany. 30% higher costs than in US.
Add 110€ for the Adapter....
The 80D is 999€ today....

The US prices don't include sales tax because it's not set at a country wide rate, rather a state by state rate.

Indeed. You have to add the local VAT to get a price that's at all comparable. Let's see how the M5 price drops after the first couple of months.

Upvote 0

bbb34

5D mk V
Jul 24, 2012
Amsterdam
"smart device GPS function ( Camera Connect should be installed on smart devices with GPS log function turned on)"

This means that the location is delivered from a smart phone through Bluetooth. Battery drain and GPS startup fix time problems solved. Sounds like a good solution.

Adding NFC should be dirt cheap, and adds convenience.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
bbb34 said:
"smart device GPS function ( Camera Connect should be installed on smart devices with GPS log function turned on)"

This means that the location is delivered from a smart phone through Bluetooth. Battery drain and GPS startup fix time problems solved. Sounds like a good solution.

That kind of makes sense. I don't need GPS, but I do enjoy it, especially on my trips to the BWCA. It's a nice marker to see what portages we tooks, mark sites we made camp at etc. However, the GPS just kills the battery on the 6D.

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
bbb34 said:

Yes, I think I prefer this solution as well, for both those reasons given.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi David.
Wow that is steep, better off getting the super kit as it is the same price as body only. Also I just realised that your lenses are obviously far superior, being ISST. ???
No idea what the I is for, injection? ;D I'm guessing that the SST bit is short for Super Sonic Transport, like the replacement for Concorde. :eek:
Now who is getting value for their million bucks? ;D ;D ;D

Cheers, Graham.

davidj said:
I'm not sure why you Europeans are complaining about the price. It's $999,999 here in Australia.

http://store.canon.com.au/digital-cameras.html

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Ryan_ said:
Canon Rumors said:
Compatible with EF-M lenses as well as the full line of EFviii and EF-Sviii lenses and Speedlites for expanded creativity.
What does compatible with EFviii lenses mean?

The viii are (supposed to be) superscript, referring to some footnotes omitted from the copypasted press release.

Upvote 0
Sharlin said:
Ryan_ said:
Canon Rumors said:
Compatible with EF-M lenses as well as the full line of EFviii and EF-Sviii lenses and Speedlites for expanded creativity.
What does compatible with EFviii lenses mean?

The viii are (supposed to be) superscript, referring to some footnotes omitted from the copypasted press release.
Ohhh ok I misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying.

From Canon's website: Compatible Lenses: EF-M lens (when using EF-M Mount Adapter: EF/EF-S lens group)"

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
Proscribo said:
expatinasia said:
I am a bit confused why the LCD screen can rotate below the camera facing forward (towards the lens). What can this be used for apart from selfies as surely if it is sat on a tripod you would not be able to see it. Thoughts?

Looks nice otherwise.
I think it's just "better than nothing"-solution, when you have the camera on tripod you can use phone as a screen, would be kinda difficult to have a phone and the camera on your hands, if it didn't rotate. :)
That was my first odd thing. Why don't they do the tilt screen line in my old G12 camera? You can rotate it, you can flip it. I had it on the beach, while hiking, city tours. Never broke, still working, great concept. Why not doing it like that?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
M_S said:
Proscribo said:
expatinasia said:
I am a bit confused why the LCD screen can rotate below the camera facing forward (towards the lens). What can this be used for apart from selfies as surely if it is sat on a tripod you would not be able to see it. Thoughts?

Looks nice otherwise.
I think it's just "better than nothing"-solution, when you have the camera on tripod you can use phone as a screen, would be kinda difficult to have a phone and the camera on your hands, if it didn't rotate. :)
That was my first odd thing. Why don't they do the tilt screen line in my old G12 camera? You can rotate it, you can flip it. I had it on the beach, while hiking, city tours. Never broke, still working, great concept. Why not doing it like that?

It's the viewfinder that is preventing it going upwards. The G12 viewfinder is comparatively small and flat. I can imagine the backlash if the viewfinder was less than perfect so the cost is a flip screen that can't go up 180 degrees.

Upvote 0

M_S

Jul 31, 2013
privatebydesign said:
M_S said:
Proscribo said:
expatinasia said:

Looks nice otherwise.

It's the viewfinder that is preventing it going upwards. The G12 viewfinder is comparatively small and flat. I can imagine the backlash if the viewfinder was less than perfect so the cost is a flip screen that can't go up 180 degrees.

But the flip screen goes sideways on the G12 not up or down. To shoot a selfi you flip it out sideways and rotate it 180 degrees. No viewfinder in the way, not tripod to handle etc.

Here you go: http://www.chip.de/ii/9/8/3/3/3/0/1/d145ee0ca2818211.jpg

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
M_S said:
privatebydesign said:

But the flip screen goes sideways on the G12 not up or down. To shoot a selfi you flip it out sideways and rotate it 180 degrees. No viewfinder in the way, not tripod to handle etc.

Here you go: http://www.chip.de/ii/9/8/3/3/3/0/1/d145ee0ca2818211.jpg

Yeah, the same vari-angle mechanism as in the x0D series. The problem with a full swivel screen is that the hinge takes a lot of room. It appears Canon decided to go with a bigger screen instead (3.2" like in the 5D4 and 1DX2!)

Upvote 0