Canon Introduces the EOS M5 Digital Camera and its First EF-M High Power Zoom Lens

Nov 13, 2015
weixing said:
Tangent said:
Flash guide number remains at 5.

No wired remote. But it does support wireless remote RC-6 in case your phone dies.

These are small boxes of mine left unchecked; overall this looks quite good indeed.
Hi,
This M5 does support wire remote which is why I'll be interested... now waiting for the manual to become available, so can check does it meet my other requirement.

Have a nice day.

I hope you are right. I saw that the imaging-resource write-up said yes for wired remote. But every spec sheet I've seen omits it from the interface list. Not to make too big a deal about this but it would be handy to have.

As you say, it won't be long until we have a manual.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Tangent said:
weixing said:
Tangent said:

No wired remote. But it does support wireless remote RC-6 in case your phone dies.

These are small boxes of mine left unchecked; overall this looks quite good indeed.
Hi,
This M5 does support wire remote which is why I'll be interested... now waiting for the manual to become available, so can check does it meet my other requirement.

Have a nice day.

I hope you are right. I saw that the imaging-resource write-up said yes for wired remote. But every spec sheet I've seen omits it from the interface list. Not to make too big a deal about this but it would be handy to have.

Why wait? Just zoom in on Canon's promo image of the M5 (link), you can see the icon for a wired remote port on the cover flap.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2015
neuroanatomist said:
Tangent said:
weixing said:
Tangent said:

Hi,

Have a nice day.

Why wait? Just zoom in on Canon's promo image of the M5 (link), you can see the icon for a wired remote port on the cover flap.

Ah... I hadn't noticed that before. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Specs looks good. I wished they did put it a GPS module. I hope it has an option for the external GPS connectivity which I have. I have a Nikon P900 and it has wi-fi, gps and NFC and the GPS is nice to have data recorded with your pictures. When I saw the video the camera reminded me of the Olympus OM-D film camera when it first came out. An articulating screen would've been nice instead of the tilt one. I guess I'll stay with my EOS-M1 for now because the price is a bit much. My 70D should also suffice for now

Upvote 0
Timing sucks (for me). This is pretty much exactly what I wanted, a small-ish mirrorless 80D, but since I just got a 5D4 last week, and a 100-400II a couple months ago (before the price drop, of course :mad: ), I'm pretty tapped out right now.

I'll almost certainly be buying one in a few months though. The M5 + 22/2 will be my always-with-me camera.

Upvote 0
Canon will probably always be my pick for a dslr. I love my L series glass, little disappointed with the 5DS R so I'm holding off going to a high res full frame for awhile.
But in the meantime I'm going to put some money into a mirrorless system, that being said I wouldn't be caught dead with a canon mirrorless camera. The fujifilm x series systems are hands down the best mirrorless camera and lens system right now.

Upvote 0
CincyFlyer said:
-1 said:
I'm a tad underwhelmed. You first...
I'd be overwhelmed at $499. Maybe just whelmed at $599. Not interested at the listed price, or anything near it.

The power built into this camera makes the asking price quite reasonable. Of course I too wanted more, like 4K and a swivel screen, but I still think it's a good buy.

Upvote 0
Can't wait to see how this camera performs, I'm assuming pretty much equivalent image quality as the 80D and the usual good interface. I'm really hoping that the focus tracking is close to (or maybe even better than) the latest sony with native lenses. I'm also hopeful on the performance of adapted EF lenses, especially long telephoto that are still not well managed in the sony world.

Definitely has potential to be a great backup canon body (and a great travel one as well).

Upvote 0
LesC said:
Every time there's a new mirrorless/CSC that comes out I'm interested to see what it's like but none of them are truly pocketable cameras. Also, the lenses may be improving but until they are able to produce L-glass standard optics I'll be sticking to my DSLR - the M5 is nice but I think I'd be carrying it around thinking, "if only I had my EOS 6D with me ..."

The closest you will get to "pocketable with L-glass" is the M1 w/22mm f/2.... Camera tech is already pushing the limits - if you want better you have to go bigger. If you want pocketable get a GX camera and don't worry about the lens........

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
hachu21 said:
So you expect truly pocketable camera with L quality glass at the same time? You'll wait long...

Look up this: Canon Powershot Pro1

Notice the red ring around the lens.

The Pro 1 lens only has to fulfill the requirements of an 8 megapixel sensor.... Besides, does that camera actually fit in the pocket of any pair of jean you own?

Maybe not but Canons new compact lenses might beat that old-ass lens... At least they have the self respect not to slap a red ring on just anything............ lol

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Tugela said:
Tugela said:
1060P60 video is recorded as MP4 files. The consumer cameras from Canon usually record those at 35 mbps, so I expect that is the case with this one as well. So it is not going to be well regarded as a video camera, other than for very casual use.

Apparently it is 35 mbps video, so I was correct.

Good for you. But you were completely wrong – again – when you stated that any Canon camera with Digic 7 would shoot 4K video. So I'd be careful about patting your own back, a 50% correct rate is a failing grade. :p

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
gluk said:
The Canon 80D has OVF focusing brightness range of EV -3 to 18 and a max of 45 cross-type AF points while the M5's DPAF metering range is EV -1 to 18, can we assume that the AF capability of the latter will be below that of the former?

The -1 spec is actually a bit strange. 80D's DPAF actually focuses in dimmer light than the discrete AF sensor (which, according to tests, doesn't quite reach the promised -3EV). Not sure why the M5 would be different, given that it's practically the same sensor. Unless Canon has done some "product differentiation" there.

Upvote 0